RTSS/NVidiaV3 FrameRateLimiter causing Engine Rendering Artifacts in RDR2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SerjRozov, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'll not say certain engines, but definitely certain games, its all going to come down to the way the engine capabilities get used.

Does this stop happening if you force disable MPO's?
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/related/1

2. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Wait, you mean like if you have 60hz monitor and experiencing this issue with frl in order to avoid it you need to cap it at what? 60? 30? 120fps?! lol

If you mean wardrobe and stables issues, yeah, there're non of em in my game too specifically under DX12

That would've been better if you'd make a vid of your issue, cuz I don't understand if mine and yours are the same, bcoz I personaly don't have any issue with AB\Rtss monitoring, just FRL, I don't need to completely disable RTSS for the flickering go away.

And as I said, I can reproduce it with both Rtss and Nv v3 doesn't matter, matter is that I want to know what can be done to avoid it, simple is that.

What the hell does mean lower frame rate in this instance lol? How high your frame rate should be to avoid rendering artifacts? Where can I find some statements on that matter?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    No, multiplane overlay enabled or disabled doesn't appear to make a difference in this case.

4. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Ok, so I just did last tests. Think of it what ever you like I'm done. Thank you Unwinder, as I thought, you made everything clear by just one sentence, good luck to you!

Turn off\disable g-sync\compatible, v-sync, any sync lol go ahead make it, then choose whatever you like rtss or nvv3 frame rate limiter with any values under 100fps this will give you those rendering glitches\artifacts, above 100fps - no such thing.

Open up your pockets oldtimers, it's a robbery lol

Cheers

Smough likes this.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I am doomed then, no way my 1060 could ever give 100 fps at a game such as rdr2 lol.

6. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    You dont actually need to, for it to take effect. Lets just imagine smth.
    Say you have like 144hz freesync display, you downclock it say to 110hz (edit: probably no need for it though) then cap fr to 100, what card can like maintain 100 all the time for having its frame rate limiting input lag advantage? 3080/90? But can it actually do that? If it cant then it'll fluctuate meaning no smooth gp whatsoever +higher temps, whats the point of it then right?

Edit: cant experiment with nv v1/v2 limiters inspector gives an error, think i saw someone said its require older driver

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Hmm weird I get none of these issues and I always use a 60fps FPS limiter with RTSS in RDR2. Well besides the ghosting problem but that's just inherent to TAA which has a lot of ghosting unfortunately. I noticed having Async Compute enabled on RTX cards has some weird issues, one being low GPU usage it usually seems to cap out at ~90-92% with Async compute.

I do make a few tweaks in the system.xml file though, maybe one of these helps??

<asyncComputeEnabled value="false" />
    <transferQueuesEnabled value="true" />
    <maxTexUpgradesPerFrame value="10" />

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    eGGroLLiO likes this.
  8. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Are you on vulkan? What monitor? Actually async compute is off, and transfer queues is on by the default. A/c on Vulkan doesnt do anything like it does on Dx12. Mine is off. I'll try to change maxtexture upgrade though.

Update: tried maxtexupgrades values: 1,3,4,7,10,15,65 lol same thing, and actually i've noticed at 15 and 65 it makes the game render high res textures longer, so i would've leave it at default 5, and where exactly have you found info that 10 changes anything?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  9. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    The vertical range on that monitor is 50Hz ~ 76Hz. AMD started using 48-75/76Hz for FreeSync. I even found that 48Hz is better for GSync as well. Check to see what your vertical range is set to using the Custom Resolution Utility.

10. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    It is exactly 48-75Hz 30-84kHz as stated in it's specs .
    Mind me if I'm wrong, are you saying I should run the game at 48fps? :D this is a meme territory then

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim

Yes I'm using Vulkan, Asus XG27aq, Gsync On, Vsync On (control panel), Vsync off in-game, triple buffering off in game.

For the maxtexupgrades it only accepts 5 or 10.. if you set it higher than 10 it will default back to 10 when you exit the game. But yes it makes it so textures stay high-resolution longer. Only the 2080Ti by default has this set to 10, every other GPU will default to 5 from what I've seen. And the game doesn't know what to make of the RTX 30 series or newer GPUs so it just defaults those things to the lowest value. They haven't added anything to recognize the newer GPUs from what I've seen if I delete the config and let it auto detect my 3080 it sets every setting to Low.

12. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    So in game you set 170hz and limited refresh rate at 60 and no glitching? well maybe thats it, 75hz display isn't enough to avoid those artifacts in my case.

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Yah I'm using 170Hz in game and limited to 60fps with RTSS.

14. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    60 bcoz of 2ķ resolution? If yes, please try setting res to 1080p and see if you have those glitches in wardrobe or stables. Thank you!

15. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Does this happen in several Vulkan titles or just Red Dead Redemption when Vulkan is ON and you're using RTSS/Control Panel FPS limiter? I assume this is only occurring when you're reaching the limiter value, but correct me if that's not so.

On my system I'm unable to reproduce this in Red Dead Redemption Vulkan with the latest Nvidia drivers, but our hardware setup is probably different (i'm running 3900X + 2080 Super + G-Sync ON).

I also tried using traditional v-sync / in-game half-refresh v-sync at 30 and 60 fps + RTSS. What I did notice was that the game seemed to be stuttering really hard for whatever reason even when reaching the target fps value. Upon further investigation, it was setting the game into windowed mode on startup for ... some reason so I expect this was because the game was forcing windowed mode fast sync? I also noticed something odd in Crysis 3 recently (unrelated) where the game would stutter with G-Sync ON until I alt+tabbed out then back in -- this resolved the issue. There's another thread for that observation though sort of (poor performance til alt tab).

16. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    I made videos on this issue months ago. Using external framerate limiters, doesn't matter if it's RTSS or Nvidia, will cause exploding vertices on certain frames. Here's my video of the issue:

This is strictly an RDR2 problem and I believe I tested and confirmed the same thing happens in DX12. Not just Vulkan.

SerjRozov and Cave Waverider like this.
  17. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Hi!
    Currently i got only rdr2 and botw on cemu as Vulkan api apps, but had not launched botw for awhile, might give it a go.
    As of what the other thing, yeah, if fps dip bellow 60 then no artifacts in place (99% sure) I kinda figured it when switching from 1080p to (both ingame or nvcpl display upscale) 1440p with same settings, but hell i won't change constant smooth 65fps 1080p gameplay on variable lag mess at 1440p but without artifacts, hell of a trade you know, and why should I higher up the settings for 1080p to like what? to make it as laggier as at 1440p what a s#!+ hole tbh
    1080p

1440p

As of what about traditional vsync it was "sucks" as long as i can remember in any app, best way to go for me back in a day was adaptive, simply bcoz of those stutters you're talking.
    Note: You can Alt+Enter to change window mode of the app on the fly in game.
    @DaRkL3AD3R Hi! Thanks for posting!
    I was thinking about if this issue is also occur in RDO, and now I'm sure (I haven't bought it yet, stuck on 67% of the main story)
    And I want to note that I don't have this issue under DX12 (I mean only the wardrobe\stables artifacts cuz yes, the glitching is there in regular gameplay), only on Vulkan (sorry been testing things so all settings in these vids are low except resolution, but it's the same for me with my "gaming ready\playthrough" settings as well)
    Vulkan

DX12

Btw what monitor do you play on?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    To chip in a bit more from my side, I lately had to pop in my old 980 Ti to test it.

Ran Doom Eternal with uncapped framerate and yep, flickers still there.

So whatever is causing flickering in Doom is likely tied to that game and certain systems.

I also had a person from another forum confirm to me that he does NOT get these flickers I'm seeing with RTX 3070 and .11 driver.

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    By chance have you tried installing the latest Vulkan runtimes, sometimes Nvidia is a few months behind on including the newest runtimes. Not sure what build Nvidia packages with their drivers currently.
    https://sdk.lunarg.com/sdk/download/1.2.170.0/windows/VulkanRT-1.2.170.0-Installer.exe

Alternatively you could try rolling back to an older Vulkan runtime. The older runtime files are available here:
    https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home

I'm pretty sure the game uses Vulkan 1.1, not the newer 1.2 code. Possibly rolling back to the Vulkan 1.1.130.0 release as that was the final 1.1 release before they migrated to 1.2.

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    To rollback, I just install an older version and that's it? Or do I have to unistall a newer one first?