RTSS injection not working with Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Ryunam, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Ryunam

Ryunam Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hi! Last year I wrote here to report a RetroArch-related issue that was addressed very quickly by Unwinder. I am very thankful for that prompt support, so I thought it would be worth it to report this other finding I have just stumbled on. I have also looked around in the forum for possible duplicates, but I couldn't find any similar thread.

As the title suggests, I cannot seem to make RTSS work with both "Octopath Traveler" (Steam version) and "Bravely Default 2".

I am not sure whether this problem is related to Unreal Engine, which both games are based on, or some known problem with the way these two games are programmed , but the RTSS OSD does not show up at all when launching these two games regardless of the options chosen in RTSS. Even after experimenting with the application detection level option or Stealth mode, the games do start normally but there's no trace of RTSS hooking properly. This is with RTSS 7.3.2 beta 5, but I was using beta 2 before updating and same thing was happening.

Is it a known issue, and/or something that can be worked around with some specific setting? I would love to use RTSS with these games as I do for everything else, be it for monitoring or the scanline sync functionality, and these are literally the only two games I have tested so far where the injection refuses to work altogether.

Here's a rundown of my specs:

CPU: i7 4790K
    GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
    GPU Driver: 465.89
    Afterburner 4.6.4 beta 2
    RTSS 7.3.2 beta 5

Many thanks in advance!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm not a fan of JRPGs, I do not own those games and do not plan to purchase them for investigating, sorry.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    create profile with hooking level set to high would be my first guess but you already tried.

need more info on what D3D version is used. both use D3D11, and BD2 is Win10 only.

Stealth doesn't do anything for 64bit games, so don't use it.

Bravely Default 2 might need
    [Hooking]
    HookDXGISwapChainPresentVT = 1

[RendererDirect3D12]
    D3D11on12 = 0

Octopath Traveller might need only
    [Hooking]
    HookDXGISwapChainPresentVT = 1

Else try
    [RendererDirect3D11]
    RestrictMultipleSwapChains = 0

in both.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  4. Ryunam

Ryunam Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Fair enough. The games are not cheap unfortunately, so if you don't like the genre I completely understand that you would not purchase them just for this. Thanks anyway!

Thanks for taking the time for these suggestions, much appreciated. I have tested all of that with Octopath, but unfortunately none of those options yield any effect. Game starts, but OSD doesn't show up.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Are you profiling Octopath_Traveler.exe or Octopath_Traveler-Win64-Shipping.exe

[​IMG]

seems to work for me (still on Beta 2 though)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  6. Unwinder

It is not fun, not fun at all. Just purchased it to see that hooking works, scanline sync works and overlay works as supposed:

[​IMG]

Game was not cheap.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    indeed, was half price here but its full price is practically that of a AAA title.

Steam will probably let you refund it?

@Ryunam what other utilities are in use (SpecialK global, discord, etc)

what are global settings?

8. Unwinder

Yep, already asked for refund. Should succeed, considering that I spent just 7 minutes in it.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  9. Ryunam

Ryunam Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    @Unwinder Now I feel bad if you decided to purchase this just to look into this issue! Sorry for the bother, Steam should definitely allow you to refund the whole thing.

@Astyanax I'll test that "Win64-Shipping" executable in a few minutes (as soon as I can test it), that could likely be the culprit. I was profiling the main exe, the one located in the root of the game folder.

10. Unwinder

No worries ;)

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It should be working without any profile, it did in my testing.

12. Unwinder

I didn't create a profile on my side either, works as is with default setup. Probably he is using whitelist based configuration approach on his sidee (i.e. disable hooking in global profile for all applications by default and enable it for desired applications via their profiles only). In this case case using wrong profile executable will not work.

13. Ryunam

Ryunam Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Okay, after some further testing I can confirm that, by creating a profile specifically for the Win64-Shipping.exe file, I was able to load RTSS successfully. I am indeed using a whitelist-based approach and what threw me out of the loop was that the injection wasn't working with the "main" exe in the game folder.

Thanks to both and sorry for the timewaste!

Unwinder likes this.