RTSS Hasn't Worked For Me Since 2016.. [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by dava4444, Sep 12, 2020.

1. dava4444

dava4444 New Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080ti
    Hi

I'm Dava.. I blogged on tech for many years, I'm not new to computers and have built my fair share. I am currently rocking a HP Z840.. 20c40t.. 2080ti..you get the idea.

Back in 2015/2016 I was playing a lot of GTAV .. I even had a dual PC streaming setup with Steam streaming, kept the PC cool on the bedroom window ledge and the one in the living room very quiet. Back then I had HP Z400 GTX660 in the living room and one of my own builds in the bedroom .. FX8350 with 2 crossfire R9 280X.. I moved on to a HP Z600 and then Z800 (for 2019) and now the Z840.

One day, after a fresh windows install RTSS just stopped working.. I never said anything before this because it kept slipping my mind.. I use RTSS with Afterburner.. I *always* set my toggle key as 'Insert'. So this is over many PC's and many fresh windows installs.. nothing happens when I hit insert. nothing extra on screen.

I have selected the things I want on the OSD in Afterburner. I have played about with the RTSS detection settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has had this problem and solved it.. please share.

peace

Dava

2. Raptorta

Raptorta Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    On the monitoring tab (2nd screenshot) you must check "show in on-screen display" for every item you want to be displayed in game via RTSS OSD.

Noisiv, Andy_K and dava4444 like this.
  3. dava4444

dava4444 New Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080ti
    And this ^ solved it.. thank you Raptorta!

No idea why we need to double select.. but I'll just use this and go back to forgetting :)

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    So since 2016 you hadnt ticked the SHOW in on screen display just for test?

AsiJu likes this.

5. dava4444

dava4444 New Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080ti
    I guess so.. I would also guess RTSS/Afterburner used to load the default (most common use cases) as already checked for OSD..I'm not sure what you mean by 'just for test' but I think I get the gist of what you are saying.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I'm sorry but find it a bit hilarious you say you're not new to computers and have a tech blog yet miss a simple setting for 4 years...

SpajdrEX likes this.
  7. dava4444

dava4444 New Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080ti
    Hence the photos supplied... I wasn't hiding anything.

8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    And here is the key.
    When you updated RTSS all the time it took over your configuration.
    When you did a clean install, it came with a default configuration which does not include any monitored source displayed in OSD.

In your old configuration (when it still "worked"), at one point in time you must have ticked the checkmark for "show in OSD" otherwise it wouldn't had been shown.
    This is no double select. It is a plain and simple difference to monitor a source and having it displayed in the monitoring window and use the functionality to display values of monitored sources in the OSD.
    You don't have all monitored sources displayed in your OSD, do you? At least I don't.

PS: If you change to the actual MSI AB 4.6.3 beta with included RTSS 7.3 beta there is a way cooler method to layout the OSD and to select which sources are to be displayed.
    You don't have to activate "show in OSD" anymore in MSI AB, now you can configure it in RTSS in the Setup->plugins->OverlayEditor (make sure to activate the checkmark for this option and then double click to open the OverlayEditor)
    For how to use it, check the videos at unwinders youtube channel.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Noisiv and dava4444 like this.
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    and here I thought this was going to drag on...

excellent thread. very educating :)