RTSS frame limiter

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Mishi93, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Mishi93

Mishi93 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6 GB
    So, I'm using the built-in frame limiter in the Rivatuner Statistics Server that's bundled with MSI Afterburner, and I have 3 questions. Straight answers please (When I asked about buying new RAM in an AMD online community people were pressuring me into buying a new CPU instead). Yes I did post this on the MSI forum previously, no answers yet so I'm asking here as well.

1. Do I get more, less or the same input lag with RTSS 60 fps frame limit + vsync as opposed to vsync alone?
    2. Some people online stated very strongly how one MUST HAVE THE LIMIT AT A VALUE THEIR PC WILL NEVER DROP FROM when using RTSS frame cap at 60 fps with vsync. Is that because RTSS frame limiting somehow makes frame drops worse when they occur or is it because of their personal standards/preference? I'm OK with the ocassional frame drops at regular vsync.
    3. I've read that RTSS is not just a frame limiter but forces the frames to be rendered at a proper frametime, what does happen then if there's a frame drop (related to question 2).

Thanks in advance for answers.

2. Mishi93

Mishi93 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6 GB
    Anyone? Please?

3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I’m not 100% sure so hopefully someone will correct me if I get something wrong — my understanding from previous threads is that RTSS will give you approximately the same input delay that you would get at that target framerate running uncapped since RTSS doesn’t directly affect the flip queue or anything. In some cases it will actually reduce input delay a bit since your GPU won’t be getting “maxed out” which can result in a delay penalty based on some of the tests I’ve seen (like BattleNonSense).

As for will it cause stuttering, my understanding is that if the drop is GPU bound in nature (and assuming it’s not related to Vsync implementation) then you shouldn’t get a stutter. If the drop is cpu bound in nature then yeah, I’d expect a stutter but you’d probably get the stutter anyway/without the RTSS frame limit in that case so I don’t know it’s fair to say the stutter was “caused” by RTSS FPS limit.

now, some applications will misbehave with an RTSS framelimit in my own tests (like mcccollection which has microstuttering despite a perfectly flat frame time graph) but even there it’s probable that has more to do with the game in question than RTSS. RTSS should work fine for most games as far as I know.

If there is a frame drop then the game should fall back into the normal way it renders out frames harmlessly, but again I can’t promise that’ll work without issue in every case.

Typical reasons to cap FPS would be to get better frametimes/reduce stuttering in games that have such issues uncapped and/or to reduce input delay in conjunction with traditional Vsync (wee blur busters low lag Vsync guide) or Gsync (the -3 FPS from Gsync ceiling approach). It can also be used to just bring down system load/temps iirc. Or if you’re heavily gpu bound it can in some cases reduce input delay a bit.

Notably some games have in engine FPS limiters that reduce input delay further than RTSS can (overwatch / bfv).

@RealNC knows a lot about all of this iirc, but he may be busy. Alternatively @Unwinder is the developer so if he gets the time he might correct me on anything I potentially got wrong above.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  4. Weekend

Weekend Active Member

GPU:
    1660 S
    on some games I tested that have vsync with triple buffing when I set frame limit to 61 I get way lesser input delays.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    1. You get less input lag as there are no discarded frames and back buffer is practically empty.

2. If you cap to less than refresh rate you will get stutters. If you cap higher you'll get the same input lag as vsync without cap, more or less.

In other words don't cap to less than refresh rate (except minimum input lag BlurBusters method).

3. Frametime will vary. Remember the limiter is the upper limit, it doesn't try to force framerate higher if it drops below the cap.

The benefit of RTSS is the even frame pacing when the limiter is active which results in completely smooth and stutter free delivery.

Setting a limit with RTSS and limiting pre-rendered frames to 1 can work around bad framepacing in games.
    That will also give you least input lag possible (with Vsync).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    BlindBison likes this.
  6. Betterwork505

Betterwork505 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    If caping under refresh rate causes stutter how is someone supposed to get gsync working if the fps keeps going above refresh rate thus gsync deactivating ? I have a 60 hrz 4k monitor with freesync and use gsync with it. Obviously fps go above my 60 hrz refresh rate so i have to cap fps to 58 ingame to get the gsync benefit. Strangely when using rtss to cap to 58 i get micro stutter every time my frame go under 58. But the probleme isnt that my gpu is having a hard time pushing 58 or staying 58, the probleme is something is going on with the rivatuner cap. Capping to 58 it always jumps to 57, 56, 57.5 and so on. If i cap to 40 it then suddenly goes under 40. If i cap 25 fps goes under 25. So no matter how low or high the fps cap is on rtss, it is bound to drop thus giving me stutters. To solve this issue i try to avoid rtss and just use ingame limiter wich hold the fps stable. So whats the deal with rtss ? Would like to use it again for games with no ingame limiter.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I was talking about regular Vsync, ofc with Gsync you want to cap under VRR ceiling.

No idea why you have that problem with RTSS cap, works just fine here.