RTSS cap induces stuttering in specific Unity game

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Digika, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Having weird issue with Superliminal. Game runs in exclusive fullscreen, fps stable, lost of headroom (300 unlimited).

1. Vsync OFF, classic RTSS framerate cap set to 60 - occasional stuttering for a few seconds, then it returns to smooth framepacing, then stuttering, repeat.
    2. Vsync OFF, scanlinesync to 1, rest defaults - CONSTANT stuttering, but 0 tearline visibility.
    2. Vsync ON, no cap - visible latency, but everything smooth
    2. Vsync OFF, no cap - no latency, 300 fps, no tearing visible (???, weird)
    2. Vsync ON, cap slightly below target refresh rate - as smooth as classic VSYNC, latency hard to measure without tools most likely fluctuating.

What can I do to eliminate stuttering issues induced by cap? I dont care about the game itself, but I want to use this as an example and basis for future such situations.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are no unity games that run in exclusive fullscreen. Engine doesn't support it period.

3. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    That's new to me and probably to Unity engineers. So their documentation lies?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-PlayerSettingsStandalone.html#Resolution

Nonetheles, this thread isnt about whatever Unity supports. I have a very specific question.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What they call Exclusive is actually compositor bypass, its not actually locking the presentation to its own process.

There is nothing you can do to fix the stutter, the game prefers having control over its own presentation rate which RTSS is getting in the way of.

5. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Do you have any data to back that up?

Also, if there is no compositor pass at the end then virtually there is no difference.