MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I was just thinking about a possibility of adding a variable which would display driver version =)

And while we're on this subject, is it theoretically possible to provide this type of info?

[​IMG]

And I don't mean avg/min/max, just the CPU side of the frametime. Or is this completely engine dependent?

(Would be cool to be able to specify three ranges for alerts btw, like "normal"->"warning"->"alert". But I feel that this is something better left for AB 4.5.0 =))

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It depends on definition of "CPU frametime". It is really specific to engine implementation, something close to "CPU frametime" could be measured at least for Direct3D apps via measuring time between BeginScene and Present calls.

Maybe in far far future. Currently I don't see how to fit it in existing implementation.

3. Unwinder

Done, OSD layout editor got new prolog/epilog fields (aliases for initially planned intro/outro fields) in "Separators" node. Both prolog and epilog separators currently support the following macro names for displaying system specs: %FullCPU%, %CPU%, %RAM%, %FullGPU%, %GPU% and %Driver%. %CPU% and %GPU% are used to display compact CPU and GPU specs (e.g. compact "GTX 1080" instead of full "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080" and compact "i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz" instead of full "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 3570K CPU @ 3.4GHz"), but %FullCPU% and %FullGPU% can be also used to show full CPU/GPU specs). Probably I'll add new layout "modern web" with system specs displayed by default.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    How can I make afterburner show my CPU temps ? Sometimes when I install afterburner it shows them under monitoring sometimes they don't appear. 7600k using

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It should be in there towards the end of list in monitor tab box.
    You should see cpu1, cpu2, etc and then a single cpu temp for whole package.
    Maybe clear out profile folder and restart, not sure but it works here (cpu usage, temp and clocks).

6. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Wohoo Plugin Support....
    Now then... anyone using Aquacomputer gear? Gotta check out their Forum and see if anyone is already working on an Aquasuite Plugin :)

7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080N x2
    So, I read through what was here already, and I'm not certain if exactly what I want was requested, so I'm going to request it in detail and hope it wasn't and that you find it feasible.

I did some preliminary setup and I ended up with this
    [​IMG]
    which is a lot nicer looking than what I originally had I think. But I'd like to see if we could set up spacing differently for clockspeeds and voltages (both CPU & GPU) than for utilization and temperatures?

For example, look at the 39% util. I like that it's all uniform; that's perfect. but I'd like the % closer to the number, like how MHz is on the GPU clockspeed or v is on the voltages. However if I attempt that, it brings MHz and v to overlap on my clockspeeds and voltages due to being a lot more characters. So I kind of have to make a compromise and waste a lot of space, essentially. Grouping them separately doesn't help either, because there is no way to specify temp/utilization, but you have separations for limits like SLI/power/voltage/sync etc.

Think it'd be possible to get a little more fine-tuning out of that? Also, would it be possible to add spacers between groups? For example I've always found the left side to be best for system statistics, but it always conflicts with say, video game map placements etc. I usually like to leave a large space between the FPS/recording readout and the CPU/GPU information, to look something like this (but cleaner with the modern overlay):
    [​IMG]
    This was a very old shot when I used HWiNFO64 almost exclusively for stats because it allowed the spaces so I could keep them on all the time while I played most titles.

If this currently exists and I've somehow missed it, sorry! I fiddled with all the options for almost 45 minutes and I couldn't rectify any of the things I just brought up, and I checked the last 10 or so pages and didn't see anything about it either (which is when you started adding it) so I figured time to request!

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Have any news from EAC / Battleeye for Beta 29? Is it whitelisted?

I remember you wrote something but i cant find it.

Found it:

''Just got a notification from EAC as well, new signature is expected to be whitelisted in most of EAC-protected games this week. And next week for the remaining ones. So huge thanks for fast response goes to both Bastian @ BattleEye and Aarni @ EAC ''

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Modern OSD seems to considerably slow down DOSBox OpenGLNB renderer (easily noticeable in Master of Orion for example). No idea if that's something new in the latest beta as I haven't used Modern layout earlier.

10. Unwinder

Insert new child item for desired field (e.g. "GPU usage") into "Value alignment" node and specify different alignment for it.

Editable group separators will be available in the next beta, it will allow you to insert new line symbols before desired groups.

D2 Ultima likes this.

11. Unwinder

You're confusing something, modern OSD layout is just a differently formatted text, text is formatted on MSI AB side, it doesn't affect OSD rendering approach, it doesn't put any additional load on hooked 3D application and rendering is unified for all layouts.

12. Unwinder

New MSI Afterburner beta is available.

http://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta18.rar

Changes list includes:

- Partial AMD Vega support:
    + Fan control for Vega is supported now. Please take a note that Vega doesn’t provide native support for traditional PWM duty cycle based fan control (i.e. it doesn’t allow setting desired fixed fan speed in % directly). So fan speed percent scale in MSI Afterburner is internally linearly mapped to RPM scale.
    + Low-level voltage control via direct access to SMC is currently not implemented for Vega, so voltage is controlled via AMD ADL API. Which means that you cannot set voltages higher than allowed by Wattman’s. Honestly I’m not sure if it worth implementing low-level voltage control for those cards, they are really power hungry and power limited even on default clocks/voltages.
    - Now drag and drop is supported for multiple selected graphs in active hardware monitoring graphs list in “Monitoring” tab. So it is a bit easier to rearrange the graphs list now.
    - Now you may right click active hardware monitoring graphs list in “Monitoring” tab and select “Reset order” command from the context menu to reset default active graphs order.
    - Added Prolog and Epilog properties to “Separators” property node in OSD layout editor. Prolog and epilog allow you to display any custom text info above and below OSD (e.g. branding text, URL, your system specs etc). Both prolog and epilog support macro variables, allowing you to insert desired system specs automatically. The list of supported macro variables includes: %CPU%, %FullCPU%, %RAM%, %GPU%, %FullGPU%, %Driver% and %Time%.
    - Added new “Group separator” property node to OSD layout editor. Group separators can be used to vertically split the groups if necessary.
    - Added new “modern web” OSD layout to OSD. The layout is using new prolog and epilog to render branding text and system specs in OSD and group separators to split GPU, CPU/RAM and 3D application related statistics in OSD.
    - Both MSI Afterburner and RTSS installers are preserving installation path now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
    atlr, tfam26, The1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, another option is that the OSD itself in the last beta is slowing down DOSBox OpenGL renderer for me for some reason.

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Do i have to unistall beta 17 to avoid any conflicts?

Or just install on top of the old, every time?

Thanks.

15. Unwinder

I'm afraid that it's not an option as well. RTSS included in the last beta is the same as a couple months old beta 28, the only difference (and the only reason to increment RTSS version) is a different digital signature. All changes is the last beta are related to MSI AB, not RTSS.

16. Unwinder

It can be installed on top of the previous installation.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, _some_ change did resulted in this as it was working fine earlier (around the time I've reported the "blockiness" issue). Now there are apparent slow downs on mouse movement if AB is running (whether OSD is on or off) which disappear if I quit from AB. Haven't done a lot of testing.

18. Unwinder

Check your hardware monitoring polling rate, amount of sensors you're refreshing and total hardware polling time. Performance profiler info is displayed in hardware monitoring status area not just for fun.
    And I'd really prefer to focus on new functionality testing instead of hunting for ghosts.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Will do, it's certainly possible that this is a result of me enabling pretty much everything there is to monitor in AB between now and then.

20. Unwinder

Tick "Show status" in hardware monitoring window and pay attention to hw_polling_time/hw_polling_period ratio. It will give you roughly approximated CPU load coming from hardware polling. E.g. if average polling time displayed there is 30ms and polling period is 1000ms then you're wasting approximately (30/1000)*100%=3% of CPU time per second on reading data from sensors. Personally I try to limit amount of simultaneously monitored graphs to keep hardware polling time below 20ms limit. You may identify most performance consuming sensors with status info as well. That's normally external GPU sensors, i.e. the sensors connected to GPU via relatively slow I2C bus (power/voltage sensors etc). Internal GPU performance counters like GPU usage, clocks etc are fast and read in less than millisecond.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    CrazY_Milojko and atlr like this.