RTSS 6.7.0 beta 1

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are some cases where the entire sha256 support hasn't made it onto a machine due to being listed as optional instead of important/critical, one of the guys here had boot issues on his windows 7 embedded builds due to a missing update (and microsoft omitted the uefi boot loader in one of the revisions lol)

There are also many cases where KB3033929 is entirely missing from the machine, and this is seemingly required for sha2 signed drivers to work for some reason?

Yep, this seems like the way to go, MSI will take some time to go through the request for a sha1 cert to retain older OS support.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Ti
    Can't you just provide two different installer packages? Release Win10 now and WinXP/Vista/7 at a later date when the issues have been resolved?

4. Unwinder

First, I'd absolutely like to exclude case when some users (i.e. W7 and Vista owners) install new beta and cannot longer use MSI AB at all. Second, I've not discussed it with MSI yet so I'm not even sure if they find it reasonable to get one more certificate for outdated OS which almost reached EOL. So "when the issues have been resolved" can never materialize.
    That's why the solution I described above sounds like the best way to go for me. New beta using such approach is already ready and link to it will be available here in the forum today.

5. Unwinder

New MSI AB beta is available:

http://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D.com]-MSIAfterburnerSetup462Beta3Build15741.zip

It is aimed to protect IO driver from exploiting, more info on IO driver related changes can be found in this post. Please keep in mind that new MSI EV code signing certificate is SHA256, so it may be incompatible with some W7 systems and it is completely incompatible with Vista platforms (more info on it here). To keep backward compatibility with such systems MSI AB will try to install new protected driver on pre-W10 systems first, then fall back to the previous legacy driver usage in case of updated driver installation failure.
    New beta also includes full version of RTSS 7.2.3.

willybony, bigcid1, EdKiefer and 4 others like this.
  6. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    Just did a Windows 10 1903 update to 183.62.387 and now get an RTSS error every time I start windows. Any ideas? Using AB 4.6.2 B3 and RTSS 7.2.3. In order for RTSS to run, I have to click OK or it won't load at all. Even reinstalled RTSS with no success of getting rid of the message.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    On that front, was the IO driver also exploitable while Afterburner was not running? Or does Afterburner (or RTSS) load/unload drivers as needed?

8. Unwinder

The message is displayed either when DX acceleration is not available (for any DX API version starting from lowest supported DX8 up to DX12) or when RTSS is launched in sandboxed environment by Windows Defender (that's normal case on the first application run event) or other antivirus. You may see exact reason by examining contents of [FnOffsetCache] and [FnOffsetCache64] sections in .\Profiles\Config file. If all offsets related to some DX version (e.g. DX9) are zero - DX acceleration is not working for it (missing driver or corrupted DX install). Otherwise, if some offsets related to some DX version are zero (like IDirect3DDevice9::Release) while other are not - it is sand boxed environment case.
    And no, I cannot help with verifying it on my side for any insider, pre-release and preview OS versions.

9. Unwinder

RTSS doesn't use the driver at all. MSI AB does, but it installs and loads it only when it is running.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    He is using the 1903 release, he just versioned it oddly. 18362.387 KB4517211
    The 1909 18363.387 has the same DX dll's and i've not experienced any problems with it personally,

I would presume that the gpu is code 43'd for some reason in bobmitches case

On another interesting matter, some users who have been using 7.2.1 till recently are only just receiving the certificate updates that revoked your old one.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    No issues here with 18362.387 KB4517211 all seem fine.

toyo likes this.
  12. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    I have never had heat issues with my 2080 TI at all. The problem is even with cold boot, first thing. I did a system restore back to 18362.357 and the issue stopped. Now I am going to manually install KB4517211 and see what happens.

13. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    Reinstalled the update to 387 and same result. Reinstalled Nvidia 436.48 drivers and issue stopped...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  14. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Updated to RTSS 7.2.3 and tried Destiny 2 (which is now F2P on steam)
    But even though i set a custom Profile for destiny2.exe with Application detection level to high and tried Stealth mode or custom Direct3D Support i cannot get an OSD to show or even the game recognizes as 3D process.

Any other tricks i could try or is that simply bungie blocking all Overlays? (Steam one does work now though)

toyo likes this.
  15. toyo

toyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    It never worked on Destiny II, and there were many rumors people were even banned for having it running. I often had it running and nothing happened. I vaguely remember it working during the Beta.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Destiny 2 doesn't allow many application overlays.

I don't even think Steam / Discord overlay work.

Steam overlay works

17. Unwinder

Bungie never banned anyone for any overlays or videocapture/streaming tools. "I was banned because of overlay" was a traditional and poor excuse used by some cheating kids to cover their asses after the first wave of bans in Destiny 2.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...sing-overlays-performance-tools-destiny-2-pc/

Official Bungie statement:

We have seen lots of questions about bans being issued in the PC version of Destiny 2. To provide some information, we would like to share some facts.

The following is true:

• Destiny 2 cannot automatically ban you, only Bungie can ban a player after a manual investigation
    • Yesterday, we banned approximately 400 players on PC
    • Bans were applied to players who were using tools that pose a threat to the shared ecosystem of the game
    • We did not (and will not) issue any bans for the use of overlays or performance tools, including Discord, Xsplit, OBS, RTSS, etc.
    • Information on using third-party applications can be found here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101
    • We are overturning 4 of the bans that were issued during the PC Beta

18. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    RTSS does not work for me with GRID. :(

19. Raffster

Raffster New Member

GPU:
    Titan X maxed out
    I can't confirm that - works on all machines that I've tried Grid 2019 on. Do you have the most recent RTSS installed?

Greetings from Germany,
    Raff

20. Angushades

Angushades Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Sorry guys to bother ya's i have the lastest rtss installed and i cant find the option for cpu temp for a ryzen x3700 , i recall it was working before.