1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RT2.20 multi-GPU support major RED FLAG

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by pmrdij, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That's NOT called "GPU1 doesn't overclock", that's called "GPU1 stalls at boot clock". Reread my first posting in this thread, it gives you all info you need to know about it. I clearly see that it is not RT issue and leaving the trhead, sorry.

2. Species1571

Species1571 Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SLI
    I guess the problem is how to stop it stalling, I have allowed separate 2D/3D and rebooted with the same results.

3. Unwinder

When SLI mode is disabled this option is available independently for both GPUs. With SLI enabled you can only control it for the primary one.

4. Species1571

Species1571 Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SLI
    OK problem solved, I didn't realise that the last driver install disabled SLI by default. So what I did is reinstall 180.48, reboot with only TV connected (for some reason after installing drivers my system defaults to TV-out only), so boot windows with only TV connected, then plug in the monitor, exit rivatuner, go to NVIDIA panel, switch display back to monitor only, enable SLI, start rivatuner, enable overclocking and separate 2D/3D and click reboot and now it works, both cards underclock to 114.75/229.5/198 at bootup and both overclock to 612/1566/972

I would still love to see fully independent clock control for both cards if such a thing is possible as I know one of my cards can clock higher than the other.

One more question, when I select GPU1 from the main screen is it normal for it to say no supported drivers detected for this display adapter?

Anyway I'm happy now, thanks again.

5. Unwinder

Yes, that's normal for Vista. Unlike Windows XP where all GPUs are always (i.e. in both SLI and multimonitor modes) represented by independent logical Windows display adapters, Vista's multi-GPU architecture is different and it assumes that slave GPUs are completely invisible to OS when multi-GPU mode is enabled. It applies to both SLI and Crossfire systems because as I've said above it is OS architecture specific. RivaTuner is still able to detect such orphan GPUs (i.e. GPUs not attached to any logical Windows dispaly device) and provide low-level functionality for them, but attributes of normal windows display device (i.e. display driver name/info, independend driver settings, attached monitor name etc) are missing for them.

6. Andy9999

Andy9999 New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTX
    RT 2.20 with 2 Cards, SLI Disabled

Hi Folks,

using RT with 2 Cards (in my case 8800GTX) and SLI DISABLED, never been working reliably. I tried it from time to time. Currently I use driver 175.19 but I tried 180.48 as well without any success. I need 175.19 because of BF2142 compatibility.

What I would like to do, is underclock my cards and clock them at default when playing. In SLI enabled mode, it works well by overclocking the first card, which will automatically set the clock speed of the second card.

However, with SLI disabled, the second card DOES NOT TAKE OVER THE FIRST CARDS CLOCK SPEED! I read this a few times in a few threads here and this is just plainly wrong. You can see the real clock speed with GPUZ for example.

The behaviour I am observing is, that right after installing RT 2.20 i can control both cards clock and memory speeds. After a reboot, the second card cannot be controlled anymore and will fallback to 198Mhz.

If you then click on the settings of the second card within RT you can try to enable hardware driver overclocking. I tried this with seperate 2D/3D and without seperate 2D/3D settings which will both lead to a reboot. After rebooting the second card is still uncontrolable. I could get it working a few times if disabling the display that is connected to the second card and subsequently enabling it again. This probably resets something somewhere, but it does not work all the time.

Anyone got any solution for this? I tried ATITool 0.27 ß4 and it can overclock both cards in Non-SLI mode but it cannot be used to under- and overclock both cards by something like a rule as you should be able to do with RT.

And please don't hit me like that other guy who sufferd from the same problem until he turned on SLI. I need both SLI and Non-SLI cause I have 2 displays and a TV connected. Turning on SLI won't help me as this kills all the displays except the primary one.

Greetz / Andy

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  8. Andy9999

Andy9999 New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTX
    Hardware Failure

Hi,

I got it working now. I tried an older version of RT and it did not occured. Then I upgraded to the newest version and recreated anything step by step and it was working. The only strange thing was that within the launcher tab the wrong overclocking profiles are shown (i have created two for each card, 2d and 3d). I did a reboot each time between creation of each step and one time the scheduler had a problem switching to 2d after booting for each card stating that the profiles were corrupted or the profile was not found. I did select the same profile again and saved it each time. It did not show up anymore since. Works great now!

That wasn't a hardware failure for sure. I could reproduce it and without RT involved it did not happen.

Thank you anyways.

Greetz / Andy

9. Unwinder

RT is a tool for power users, you need to THINK when using it. It is not a fault of axe that you can cut off your finger with it. Disagree with that - move to Precision and be happy.

10. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Was the older version by any chance 2.10?.Thats the only version of latest releases that i can properly OC second GPU in Non-SLI mode.Atleast glad to see im not the only one with this issue.Ill try EVGA Precision too.Maybe will have more luck

11. Andy9999

Andy9999 New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTX
    SLI problems

Yes, indeed. I downgraded. It was working. Then ugpraded to 2.20.

Today I had the bad idea of installing the newest nvidia drivers 1.80.48.

After rebooting it was not possible to OC/UC the second card anymore. F**k.

I can see both cards within RT. However, if I change the clocking for the first or second card it will always apply to the first one. I upgraded RT to 2.21 with the same result.

Does the RT developer actually have an SLI system at hands? I remember he did not in the beginning. It should be really easy to reproduce it.

By the way, the EVGA Precission tool suffers from the same problem, so please don't tell me to install it ;)

12. Unwinder

Instead of using "f**k" language REREAD the thread. There are multiple workarounds. WORKING workarounds. And the thead is closed to avoid attracting new beginners to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.