RT RC15.2 Softmod

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by gafa, Oct 4, 2004.

?

RT RC15.2 Softmod success

1. Yes, 16 pipelines and 6vp ON and working :D

139 vote(s)
    57.2%
  2. Yes, 16 pipelines and 5vp

8 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Yes, 12 pipelines and 6vp

69 vote(s)
    28.4%
  4. No :(

27 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. baroudan

baroudan Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 1950 XTX
    pixel unit 3 and vertex unit 3 was hw masked, and now enabled and works really fine

2. iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh Guest

Hi All,

"Long time listener, first time caller" :)

I modded my

Stock Leadtek A400 128MB (12,5) @ 325/700 @ 1.2V (Throttle voltage - the others dont matter)

into

Leadtek A400 128MB (16,6) @ 400/900 @ 1.4V (Throttle voltage)

**Both Quad-PS and VS were hardware masked.

Steps:
    1) Using Omega Drivers (1.6177)
    - I'm sure you can use whatever drivers you like...I dont know
    if these are the best... just telling u what I use atm.

2) "Rivatuner" (+ NVStrap) to unlock H/W masked units.
    3) Reboot ... (obviously)
    4) Run 3DMark 03/05, doom3, farcry,UT2K4, Rthdrbl...

***some artifacts (but not always in same place)...Hmmm***
    **So I thought it might be a voltage issue**
    *Luckily, turns out it was Voltage... and it could be fixed :)*

--> So DO try a volt mod before spamming thread
    -->Also try under-clocking GPU and/or Memory.. but you
    might not want to if you end up with less performance
    in the end... Up to you.

(I found NO benefit of 1.5V over 1.4V...)
    (in fact 1.5V was worse for me...)

--->Volt Mod Instructions
    5) Boot into DOS (used bootdisk) and use "NVFLASH" to backup a copy of my card's bios to harddisk.
    [Command: NVFLASH.exe -b backup.rom]

6)Use "NiBiTor" version 1.6a to open backed-up bios, and change "throttle voltage" to 1.4V, then save as "6800-14.rom"
    (Don't bother about "2D Volt" or "3D Volt"... only "Thrtl.")

7) Reboot computer into DOS (use bootdisk) and use "NVFLASH"
    to reflash card with new "1.4 Volt" bios.
    [ Go to "NVFLASH" directory ]
    [ Command usage-> NVFLASH.exe 6800-14.rom ]
    [ Press 'y' to continue programming ]

8) When flash finished (remove boot disk ;)) and boot up windows

10)Open "RivaTuner" - > "HardWare Monitoring"

**Make sure that you have the correct voltage being monitored**
    ** To do this..follow these instructions **

--> VID AutoSelect Instructions
    1. Right-Click in the "green grid" part of the voltage
    2. Select "Setup" from the menu
    2. Click "More" Button ... (in bottom left)
    3. Click "AutoSelect" Button ... (in bottom left)
    4. Click "OK" to keep changes
    5. Click "OK" once more to keep changes
    --> End Autoselect Instructions

** Now your graph should be correctly configured

11) Check that "Core VID, V" reads 1.4 Volts
    --->End Volt Mod Instructions

12) Re-run 3DMARK03/05, Doom3, Farcry, UT2K3, Rthdrbl, etc...

Hopefully NO artifacts this time. :)

If there are Artifacts.. maybe try under-clocking... else change
    voltage back to 1.2v.. cause you might be out of luck... Sorry :(.

And thats the end!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The steps above are what I tried... and it worked for me .. so hopefully this can help some people. :)

**I do not know everything about this.. (or claim to), I'm just trying to help others... and give Unwinder a bit of a rest ;).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A HUGE "Thank You" to Unwinder - Excellent work!!!

And also to everyone else who has contributed to this project, whether it be informative posts, beta testing, programming/flashing, etc... Good on you ;).

-Jason

3DMark03 - 10680
    3DMark05 - 3600

Computer:
    AMD 2100XP @ 2.2Ghz(11x200),Abit NF7-S 1.2,
    2x256MB 3200 Twinmos Ram, 360GB Total HD. WinXP-SP2.
    (My computer is not a clean install and is VERY messy....so I'm sure my results are lower than should be expected)

PS> I hope I didnt offend/p*ss-off anyone by posting
    these "instructions".

3. h41cyon

h41cyon Guest

Just got a Leadtek 6800NU Refurb from Newegg

First got 16,6 and 3dmark05 and CS:S ran just fine with no signs of any errors.

Then I ran Call of Duty and Experienced some curruption.

Dropped down to 12,6 and now I don't see anything wrong any of my games. Still have to try out doom3.

Will now swap out the Leadtek and pop in the BFG and see if i can get 16,6.

*Note, I hope that the large amount of successes listed in this poll are not from people unlocking to 16,6 running one game and then saying it works. If you are going to vote you have to be sure that the settings on your card work flawlessly in a multitude of games.

/edit Could this be a voltage issue?

4. gafa

gafa Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 6800NU
    1) use 66.81, they're giving much better results in all benchmarks/games.

2)use nibitor version 1.7, it's pretty much straightforward since it not longer separates the VID voltages in 2D/Thrtl/3D (wrong), but in 3 different voltage readings, and highlights the "right" one (the one you should change) in green.

greetz all :D

5. iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh Guest

Hi all,

Co-incidently, I just changed drivers from Omega 1.6177 to Nvidia 66.81 (...Gafa is Correct ;) )

3D Performance goes way up... (as does stability ;))

3DMark05:
    Omega Drivers: 3600
    Nvidia 66.81: 4597 :D

Also Omega seemed to have some "issues" with 3dMark05 Game2 ... (for me atleast)... some weird triangles/planes being drawn very occasionally... (even at stock speed and pipes.)

All those problems are gone with new Nvidia Drivers...

Also now managed 414/900 Fully Stable Overclock :D :D :D!

Still at 1.4V GPU.

Jase

/me is luvin' $480AU A400 Leadtek Card right now :D!
    ( I mean literally...;))

6. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    coopaq
    i have the same problem but with the 70.41 drivers ts less given a try.Also maybe a voltage boost .Im trying to flash my bios with modded voltage but it wont reflash but when i figure out why ill post back my resukts

7. inthewolfden

inthewolfden Guest

Hi, I am new to these forums, found you guys after getting my BFG 6800. It is working fine at 16/6. Here is my system and OC's. I have a stable running system, air cooled, with a seriously mad processor overclock:

Processor - 2.4 GB / OC to 3.3 GB (going further, but that is where I am now

FSB - 800 Mhz / OC to 1.1 GB

Memory - 400 DDR / OC to 440

6800OC - running 16/6 at 370 / 780 so far - drivers 66.77

All of this I have done without having to bump up voltages in the bios, but I suspect I might have to do that soon to go further. Here are my scores:

3DMark01:
    everything default - 13943
    where I am with oc's above - 19829

3DMark03:
    def - 8867
    oc'd - 10986

3DMark05:
    def - 3239
    oc'd - 3979

8. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Master Guru

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    I have a BFG 6800OC. Pixel Unit 3 and Shader Unit 3 have been enabled and I have 16x1,6 enabled. I have no artifacting, no loss of overclock. I am using the 66.81 drivers. I have run CoD, BFV, FarCry and BF42 with no issues. I have noticed an increase of fps from any where from 20-30 fps. All games run smooth. In BFV, even chopper flying in SP maps is now very smooth. I used to get a jutter every once in a while.

Using 3d Mark 2001SE, my fillrate @12x1,5 = 4679mT/s. Fillrate @16x1,6 = 5725mT/s. It seems that the extra pipes have been enabled. What I have found interesting is that if I first enable the pixel unit first, reboot, enable the vertex, reboot, I get a higher fillrate value. If I enable both pixel and vertex together, then I get a lower fillrate value of 5570 and the jutters remain in BFV.

Benching 3DMark 2003, I found that I got a score that was ~500-600 points higher @ 16x1,6 than @12x1,5. What I find kinda screwy with 3dMark 2003, is that with the 61.77 drivers, I get a score of 10230 (12x1,5; 400/800 overclock), but with the 66.81 drivers I only score 8300 (12x1,5; 400/800 overclock) or 8900 (16x1,6; 400/800 overclock). I like the IQ with the 66.81's is better than with the 61.77's and games run at the same fps with either driver, only the benchmark is lower.

I have tried oc'ing the gpu with the pixel unit and vertex unit enabled and have noticed no loss of overclock. I could kick the gpu up to 420 before enabling the units and can kick the gpu up to 420 with the units enabled.

In summary, I wold say that I have all pixels and vertexs enabled on my 6800 nu. I am using the stock BFG BIOS and voltages. I have gotten a bit more performance out of my card.

Thank you for your efforts Unwinder ! You are an excellent engineer !

9. nicks

nicks New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800U@450/1200
    I've edited the bios of my 6800LE and set the green marked Voltage (2) to VID2 1.4V, but Rivatuner always display me 1,1V (2d and 3d).

Voltages set in orig. bios:

Voltage 3: Voltage Identifier: 1.4V - VID 2 - Voltage for this VID 1.4
    Voltage 2: Voltage Identifier: 1.2V - VID 1 - Voltage for this VID 1.2
    Voltage 1: Voltage Identifier: 1.1V - VID 0 - Voltage for this VID 1.1

When I set the voltage 2 to 1.4V (VID 2) and flash the bios Nibitor and Rivatuner can't read the voltage for VID1 (Nibitor displays ?,? ; Rivatuner can't autodetect the voltagemode in hw-moitoring (autoselect-Button is disabled); VID 3 is always shown as ?,? in modded and in original bios)

btw, when i overclock the memory, it affects both, the standard 2D and the performance 3D-mode, that means its only possible to set different core clocks in 3d and 2d, but not different memory clocks.
    I think,I was able to set different values some days before.

Can anyone help me?

10. FreelancerSVN

FreelancerSVN New Member

Leadtek A400

16/6 - anomalies present
    16/5 - anomalies present
    12/6 - works fine

3DMARK 2005
    Tested with high image quality settings, aniso & AA off:

16/6 [325/700]: 2556 3DMarks
    16/5 [325/700]: 2428 3DMarks
    12/6 [325/700]: 2324 3DMarks
    12/5 [325/700]: 2198 3DMarks
    my current setting:
    12/6 [375/860]: 2648 3DMarks

Well, can't argue with free boost ;)

11. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Master Guru

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    Follow-up:

Initially posted that I was able to enable the pixel and vertex units. However, after gaming for a while, about 1 hour or so of BFV, I ran the CoD:UO demo and saw corruption. I think that the vertex and pixel units are indeed devective. Oh well. It was a good try, but I'll be going back to 12x1, 5.

12. FreelancerSVN

FreelancerSVN New Member

Perhaps you should try it with a higher voltage or a lower coreclock, if that gives u better results.

My follow-up:
    1st off I've noticed I'm running FW 61-something (i've recenly reformatted and forgotten about the drivers) so I installed 66.81 and my 3dmark05 score went from 2648 to 3363.
    I've tried increasing my voltage to 1.4v just for fun, but 16/6 or 16/5 still won't work without anomalies so i went back to 1.2v 12/6.

13. Oliii

Oliii Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Geforce 6800GT 256GDDR3
    Hello!
    I'd like to ask if i enabled the hardware masked units and the system is stable how can i be sure that I havent fried up my card...
    Im a bit worried because in the sims 2 i can see white dots on the wall somtimes when i scroll the screen , thats why I ve turned off the pipes(12/5) but I can still see the dots sometimes
    But in another games there are no problems and the system is stable with 16/6.
    So could you tell me how can I be sure about my card or could you give me an artifact tester program.
    The card is an Inno3D Geforce 6800 Cool Viva 2.2ns
    I would greatly appreciate if somebody could help me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  14. FreelancerSVN

FreelancerSVN New Member

Well, AFAIK the white dots appear when the card is starting to overheat... So maybe you should first check the temperatures in your temp monitor and physically as well.
    I'm guessing that it's impossible to fry your card by softmodding it. I would presume that enabling additional pipelines and shaders puts more strain on your card thus producing more heat...
    I don't know of any artifact testing programs... I always check for artifacts in 3dmark 05 or a game that puts a strain on the card... As picky as I am I always spot them immediatelly ;)
    So my suggestion is to check your temps first... Maybe someone else can provide more insight.

15. Oliii

Oliii Member

GPU:
    I dont think it would be overheating because there is a big cooler on it . and the temp monitors shows 57 celsius which is normal I think. My problem is that I noticed some pixel problems in 3D Mark 2003 at the end of the pixel shader and the ragtroll tests a pixel line appears for a half a moment and dissapears straight away. Sometimes it doesnt appear and everything is okay. I ve already uninstalled the riva tuner but the problem is still problem.

I am very worried because I read that this softmod could permanently damage my vide card so... But I cant believe that it could happen to me anyway....

PLEASE HELP . what should I do??:( :( :( :(

16. FreelancerSVN

FreelancerSVN New Member

Well, I've no idea then... Maybe one of the guru's will provide an answer.
    Also I've no idea what normal temps are, but here are mine just so you have something to think about ;)
    [​IMG]

17. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    hi, did it show ANY anomalies at all before you did the softmod ? and what clock speeds are you running it at ?

18. Oliii

Oliii Member

GPU:
    the problem is that I didnt run the 3D mark 2003 tests at the begining I just turned it on and then I checked with the 3d mark, then I turned it off because I noticed something and I checked it on its stock values.
    Then today I turned on the pipes again with RT 15.2 and I checked the allow hardware masked units checkbox... so I did the same which I did a week ago.
    And then I ran the 3D mark and I noticed thin pixel lines appearing in the shader and the ragtroll tests ,but not every time sometimes they didnt appear and everything was normal.
    I ran the test more than ten times somtimes with these lines sometimes not , so I changed driver to 66.81.. and ran the test again and I couldnt believe my eyes more pixel line appeard....:(

So I immediately uninstalled the nva strap driver but nothing changed the pixel corrupitons were still there with 12/5 pipe/vertex.
    So I uninstalled the Riva tunner straight away but nothing changed...... and now I m worrying.

The freqs. core 350mHz mem 800mHz it is a stock speed tunned by Inno3d, and the temperature of my card is 56 celsius

19. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti

20. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i think you have a defective card. no worries tho, just make sure you put it back to (stock) and return it. they wont know you screwed with the pipes !