Router, 3 PCs and Internet Connection Sharing

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Sagus, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Sagus

Sagus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    Alright. I'll try to make as much sense as possible.
    - I have 3 PCs I need to have internet connection. Only one of which uses bandwidth to the fullest (and is on 24/7) - other two are just used for occasional browsing and email. They've all been connected through the router previously, but it's become unacceptable due to the following point...
    - I have a D-Link DIR-100 router that's too weak to handle my current connection (speed degradation + severe packet loss + faints under uTP torrenting).
    - My internet connection goes via ethernet VPN.

So. I'm thinking of:
    1. Hooking up the main PC directly to the ISP's cable.
    2. Connecting the other two PCs to the router.
    3. Connecting the router to the main PC (the latter has two ethernet ports).
    4. Using Internet Connection Sharing on the main PC (Win7) to let the router connect to the internet through it.

Questions I'm having:
    1. Will it even work? Can the router even operate in this manner?
    2. How do I make it work? I've never used ICS, so I'm not even sure about the logistics (what IPs to assign to what; should the router be connected through its WAN interface and which connection type it should use; should I disable the router's NAT function; etc.)

I understand that it'd take a lot of effort to walk me through every detail, so even the basic logistics of this enterprise will be of help.
    I've already tried doing it all by myself, but got stuck on the router seemingly connecting to the main PC (though the router's both Static- and Dynamic-IP connection types) , but the PCs hooked up to the router still having no internet connectivity.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Sorry, re-read your post... Ok, so you've got your main PC connecting to the internet via a modem right?

Ok, so basically you need to use your Windows 7 machine like a proxy server and use the router as a hub / switch. This might not be possible with your router but bear with me...

Run ICS, it will assign a static IP to your spare network port (the one you will be sharing the net on). Connect your Win 7 machine to a network port on the router. Log into said router, disable EVERYTHING. You don't want NAT, or DHCP or any of the "router" stuff to be active... The plug your other two machines into the router and manually set them with valid IP's.

You should be good to go.

3. Alan87i

Alan87i Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 260
    You might want to change the routers IP address to match the subnet of the new ICS network on the 2nd nic. If ICS is running a dhcp server be sure as mentioned above to shut the dhcp OFF in the router.

Quite often ICS will want to bind 192.168.0.1 for it's self as the shared gateway. This will cause trouble if the router shares the same address. Set the router too .0.200 .

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If you find throughput to low on your current router get a new and faster router instead of trying windows internet connection sharing.
    Cause you won't be happy with it.
    If you feel to try anyway, to connect 2 pc's to your main pc (I hope you have 2 NIC's on the main, else forget it) connect one NIC from your main pc to the routers lan port 1, and the 2 other PC's to LAN 2-4.
    Nothing connected to WAN!
    The other NIC on your main PC goes to the modem.
    Use the Internet Connection sharing Wizard on your main PC and you should be good to go.

5. Sagus

Sagus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    Damn. I've been trying everything (both suggested and more) for the past two days, and nothing seems to work: the 2 secondary PCs just won't see the main (one with ICS). All of them are plugged into the router's LAN ports, share the same subnet (192.168.137.xxx), IPs properly assigned, all router features are disabled and the ICS seems to be active, but I get nothing. The main has internet, the secondary don't.
    It's time to raise the white flag. As suggested, buying a better router is probably the better option, in the long run.

Thanks for the help, guys (and gal?), I appreciate it.

6. Alan87i

Alan87i Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 260
    If you want a Better than Better router ?
    Get a older PC add 2 Nic cards and install M0n0Wall or PFsense or smoothwall or IP cop .
    Use the old router as a switch with DHCP shut off or get a gigabit switch to complete the package.
    I use PFsense with the traffic shaper enabled and have 12 users on a 8000 down 800 up cable connection. We host a team speak server and a game server here with 3 friends connecting from the internet and have little too zero issues. I could not get this performance with several over the counter routers I have tried. If you want more performance use a 2 too 3 ghz single core box and run a proxy on the router.

After running both m0nowall then /now pfsense I will never switch back to a cheap plastic under powered toy router.

7. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    WTF!? He wants a router, not a proxy server.

8. Alan87i

Alan87i Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 260
    Dam boy can't you read! The sentence from my reply you are referring to starts with "IF".