1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROTM: Guru3D Rig of the Month - September 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The September 2018 edition of the Guru3D Rig of the month 2018 comes from Israel, meet Yuri, who is a purchasing manager, with a beautiful all red themed rig called horizon zero. Check out his rig ri...

ROTM: Guru3D Rig of the Month - September 2018

StewieTech likes this.
  2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Gosh thats nice alright. Hilbert you should have showed more of the rest of the room, the guy had a pretty dope thing going on there.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Oh Man...Love it Yuri!

StewieTech likes this.
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    What you see is all that he submitted ...

airbud7 and StewieTech like this.

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Ah ok alright then. Theres some cool shots there so its ok. Still reading the article... :´D

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    What is that panel on the side of the case. Looks like a tablet ?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Out of curiosity, what exactly should someone expect to have in order to win ROTM?

Don't get me wrong, this is very well put together and one of the more aesthetically pleasing ROTMs in a long while. But, it's kind of like buying a Ferrari with nothing more than a custom paint job and bringing it to a car show revolved around modded and personalized vehicles. Sure, it's fast, beautiful, and a lot of money went into it, but I'm personally more interested in the person who spent 1/4 the amount of money on a broken down BMW and renovated it with a new drivetrain and bodywork. It's not as fast, it's not as sleek, it isn't worth as much, and it might have several visible flaws, but it is more interesting and personal.

Of course, that's just my opinion; the winner still has an objectively nice rig, so it's not like he isn't deserving of the prize.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Anything that jumps out of the ordinary qualifies, that can be as cheap as can be or as expensive as needs to be. We never look at the price of components used, I mean show me a kickass 3Dfx build and it would make this competition. So its how it's built, modded or fits inside a space in an unusual way. Reality is however that the most builds submitted do come at a certain price tag, while the less expensive ones often are not submitted. We can only choose from the 'palette' of PCs made available to us.

In that mindset schmitteeeh - have you submitted yours already?

Maddness likes this.
  9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Well i have a pretty clean build but its not ROTM material :(

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    What are the speakers?

11. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Looks to be creative stuff, maybe search their website and see if they´re there?

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Makes sense. While I have your attention, on average, how many submissions do you get per month?

And yes, I have actually submitted one once, maybe a year ago. I assume it was rejected, presumably because it was a little niche (it was a headless home server, rather than a gaming rig) and it still used the ugly "mustard and ketchup" cables without much tidiness. But despite having horrible specs and "more-to-be-desired" cable management, I would feel confident that it'd be one of the most obscure rigs in Guru3D's history. It was an aquarium, passively cooled in mineral oil, complete with a bubbler and typical fish-aquarium decorations.

EDIT:
    And no, I'm not demanding a prize or anything. If it was rejected the first time around, I'll accept defeat.
    EDIT 2:
    My actual gaming rig, despite actually having good cable management, modded parts, and a very deliberate "respiratory system", is otherwise very boring.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    airbud7 and StewieTech like this.
  13. Toadstool

Toadstool Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Looks more like a pair of Yamaha HS5's.

alanm and StewieTech like this.
  14. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6Gb
    She is a thing of beauty, very nice. I like it.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Looks like HS7. The woofer has 6 mounting screws vs the HS5 only 4.
    HS7
    [​IMG]

HS5
    [​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No mistaking these for Creative crap :D. They immediately looked like active studio monitors which are leagues above what creative or other PC speakers are.

17. Toadstool

Toadstool Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    You're right. I misgauged the size from the picture. I love that they kept the aesthetic of the NS10 which were notoriously horrible sounding.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    it varies a lot actually. Some months just 2 entries, others 10 to 15. BTW it's not defeat or at least you should not look at it that way. Any build is special to its owner. It's just that there's just one that can win the price that month. Everybody is free to resubmit as often as they like of course.

StewieTech and schmidtbag like this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    ROTM or not, I'd like to check out some of those. I've considered making each of those (and I too once built a PC inside a desk, almost 10 years ago - I used the heat from the CPU to warm my hands).
    Haha though if you want to talk REALLY obscure PCs, I have one built into a foosball table. But... that's because it's used as the main processing system for these robotic parts I'm adding to it. So, it's not really a PC, even though it uses a mATX motherboard, x86 CPU, and a discrete GPU.

airbud7 and Hilbert Hagedoorn like this.
  20. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    Very nice clean and not overly complicated setup. Just the way I like it.