Rome Total War demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Phillip04, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Phillip04

Phillip04 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    I think I saw history channel using this program lol. This game is really good you guys should try it out.

2. Rootaah

Rootaah Active Member

GPU:
    4870 Crossfire
    Played through the demo a few times and have to say it does look and play good. Only thing that kinda urks me is even with my 6800 GT, my system starts to "sweat" with full details at 1280x1024. Going to any higher resolution begins to kill my system performance. There is minor chugging at that setting during the massive initial attacks. Definitely playable, but disheartening to know 6 months from now I'll be eyeing new hardware.

It's freaking amazing how new games continue to bring systems and graphic cards to their knees.

3. Blahm

Blahm Guest

the amount of units in this game makes it very cpu and memory intesive, i think with a faster CPU the problems may go away.

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    lol! 6 MONTHS???? u gotta be joking... these cards are gonna last us at least a year. This game engine isnt a patch on Doom 3 and I can run that on ultra settings 1280x1024 with 8xaf and 4xaa perfectly smooth. Rome runs great on my system and any chugging (which I have to say I havnt noticed) is down to lack of optimisation on the part of the demo.
    BTW, the demo is great and i cant wait for the game! :D

5. Rootaah

Rootaah Active Member

GPU:
    4870 Crossfire
    You're running smooth due to your other components. AMD 64 3400+ and PC3700 memory??? The game better run good with that setup. I was just optimistic that my setup would be reasonably sufficient, and ROME is proof that in 6 months to a year, I'll be forced with facing upgrade questions for my processor, systemboard, memory, etc....It's not so much the video card, but the rest of the major system components which are obviously "beginning to" hold back my experience. As people begin to improve these new engines, a system such as mine will begin to suffer. Such a vicious cycle in my opinion.

6. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Look at my specs. I'm running the demo at 1280x1024 with NO LAG AT ALL. Except if I use 2x or 3x speed, there's lag there.

7. Phillip04

Phillip04 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    I agree with Rootaah. I wish they would give me some time to get ahead of the game! Dah, time to upgrade already :(