Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    After the **** me and lot of other people with through with S2 hardlocking their PC with AMD 7xxx series on DX11 on certain Intel CPU mobos, I wouldn't blame few people for waiting a bit to see if the game will run at all.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/35440-7xxx-Series-AMD-cards-freezes-and-lock-ups

And yeah, it's still not fixed :rolleyes:

As for me, I blame AMD more and won't buy AMD products in the future. CA wasn't exactly exemplary with their handling of this problem (simply because it's unresolved) but their patching practice as of S2 and its expansions were definitely far better than their previous support history so I give them credit for loads of good attempts.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    that sucks dude. i never had problems myself with the game using a 5870. i'm reluctant to buy amd in the future as well. their drivers simply suck too much compared to nvidia.

3. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Yeah, with Nvidia now.
    Had constant flickering with broken ATI drivers and it took them a year to fix the fcking thing.

4. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i know it's meant to be Carthage but doesnt that look pretty bland/monotone in terms of colours?

p.s am part of a mod team for Rome2. albeit in a "research" role.

6. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I'm just excited about the reintroduction of city based siege warfare. As buggy as the unit pathfinding were in the cities, I miss those because they gave siege warfare much more of epic feeling and a sense of purpose.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i think I preferred the sieges in medwar2/kingdoms the most so far.....have asked about the colour choices over @totalwarnet, it is worrying me slightly, although on the whole shogun2/fots graphics re scenery and building were fine.

it was the unit detail i.e disappearing faces n bloom that irritated me.

8. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    There ware no colors before Technicolor:grin:

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    looking at this brings back memories of playing deus x. :)

10. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah some nice looking units. odd decision re choosing the Iceni (they didnt exist in 300bc ((well no records)) and they burnt Camulodunum to the ground rather than it being their capital), but hey being British I dont mind.

So far we have Rome, Carthage, Iceni, Arverni, Macedon. 3 more slots to be filled...

12. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Well Suebi (german) was also announced today. So two more, I'm guessing both eastern.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  13. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    WTF? Whatever happened to the tribe being called Germania like in Rome 1? Many of the factions names have been changed.:(

14. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Names are now more historically correct. There ware no Germans, French, British at that time. So we get more known tribes (Suebi, Arverni, Iceni). In my country we still call Germans Švabi-Suebi.:p

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  15. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    A little more historical accuracy is always welcome. It would take many centuries more for something resembling a "German people" that thought about themselves as such to come about.

And in large that was thanks to the Romans, firstly by calling that whole area "Germania", and secondly by invading and thus forcing the different tribes to work together in order to drive the invaders out.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    may I suggest some reading material? it's great to get you to sleep at night.

p.s so far CA are ok with the hist accuracy bit, cept for the Iceni which is a bit of a howler.

plus it is a game after all, and whats wrong with a unit of flaming war pigs or screaming female head hurlers?

good news about the suebi being in.

17. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I wonder if we will still get our, erm, "cheerleader" unit that we had for 'barbarian' factions in Rome.

Yes, the multi-walled citadels were epic in both looks and in how well they were defended. Combine that type of cities with Shogun 2's pathfinding and I will be happy camper when it comes to siege.

But cannon towers were bit ridiculous lol

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Creative Assembly revealed some staggering statistics with interesting gameplay implications at their GDC presentation. Perhaps the most interesting was the announcement that there will be 117 different factions present in the campaign, which starts players off from “the earliest days of the Roman Republic” and tasks them with building an empire.

An immediate effect worth considering is the fact that Rome, for which the game is named, may not even become the colossal empire that it did in actual history. (If my Arverni warriors have anything to say about the matter, it certainly won’t.) We’re not sure yet how the 100+ minor factions will compare, in terms of their ability to compete, to the handful of playable states and tribes. But it seems, at least, that we might see a little bit more Crusader Kings-esque state building than in the original Rome, which essentially boiled down to a few mega-blobs scrapping with one another.

We’re also promised 500 unit types, which is five times as many as in the original Rome. That certainly leaves room for 117 factions to each have a few unique units each. To what degree a Northeastern Germanic Axe Dude will differ from a Southwestern Germanic Axe Dude in terms of model and stats, we can’t be sure yet. I’d imagine many of these “unique” units may differ only in name and palette swap, though I am prepared to be moderately blown away if this is not the case.

Rome II will also feature 183 map regions, which is almost double what we saw in Shogun 2. It also means that a majority of these 117 factions will start of relegated to a single territory. Overall, the picture that is forming of this new campaign is one of a wild, untamed frontier, where players will be forced to unite (if you want to be nice about it, subjugate if you’re a realist) their own neighborhoods before getting to the stage of huge, state vs. state warfare that most previous entries in the series have started you off with. If that’s the case, I really like the sound of it.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-total-war-rome-2-will-feature-over-100-factions/

Total War: Rome II reveals ninth faction as free day-one DLC
    Just when we thought we were finished with Creative Assembly’s slow (and often predictable) reveal of Total War: Rome 2′s playable factions, they come back for an encore. Ex-Persian state Pontus joins the roster as the ninth potential power – and will be added to the game through a free day-one update, published through Steam when the game releases later this year.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/26/total-war-rome-ii-reveals-ninth-faction-as-free-day-one-dlc/

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
  20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    getting a mixed reaction over @tw.net

this is apparently "pre-alpha" and the launch date is around 6 months away?!

also some other news is that Pontus (faction) will be a free dlc on launch date. still no news re optimisation for quad-cores.

hence i am still on the fence re pre-order.