Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Was the same with 1.5b.

Radious battle mod makes the game too easy at certain points and still, this mod needs a lot of tweeking. Read the comments there.

Im only using "Close Combat Mod" atm.

But the 2.0b patch is great so far. I hope the multiplayer desync is now acceptable. Trying with friend later. Mp desync before was horrible, each round battle desync beginning round ~15.

2. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Been trying to install this game from disc for the past 4 hours, quite the waste of money so far.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    liking the new patch alot, much faster turn times, slower paced battles and my framerates in battles are now acceptable. Gives me a bit of hope for the future patches.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So I've given the game a bit of time and to be honest I am quite liking it.

So far the main things that seem to be annoying me are

a). Politics, they are never explained you recruit generals and their is pop info saying stuff like -17 Tribal Chiefs which seems have no meaning or effect that I can see, the same thing goes for some of the agent actions such as marriage and adoption.

b). Campaign map is a tad featureless, Some of the towns / camps are actually hard to spot on the map made harder by the fact that the name of the town / camp seems to move in proportion to how far away you are from the town

c). On map army stacks, getting annoyed of sending spies in to an area to spot enemy numbers, only for my army to turn up start and siege and find that their are two uber stacks hidden underneath the visable on map one.

d). Hate the health bar for your army ranks, the numbers in previous version were easier to spot

e). A lot of the town / city expansions as well as a lot of the tech doesn't seem to have any real effects. They just seem to give small stats bonus to existing troop types rather than actually giving you anything really new.

Other than that I am giving the game a chance, performance is alright a bit spotty here and there but nothing that has brought it down to a crawl, well apart from trying to move scouts over large areas.

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    They got to be kidding me!

They said they fixed desync, and its awfull as before!!

I am Pontus, friend is Macedon. Head-2-head multiplayer campaign. 2nd round, i begin the 1st battle on the city south of my capital. Hes playing the ai and battle begins...

1st he said was, that my 2 slingers were apart from my army, which they didnt. I sent my horses to the victory point, he saw nothing...was hiding near by and wanted to attack my following army. Battle ends, 0:0 casualties. Round is over, ai is attackting friend, i decide to play the battle, he doesnt get the screen where must start the battle...

Nice work!

This game is so unplayable in multiplayer, its a joke!

Im not gonna start talking about the other matches with other factions and outcome with different casualties and even city not captured on both sides!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    I auto-resolve almost everytime unless the AI thinks my army sucks and i have to win the battle. The loading time between campaign map and battle map is kinda long especially in a mutiplayer campaign.

7. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Ive had enough of this game, its bugged/ill-conceived enough to render it unplayable.
    lifes too short to waste on this.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I picked up Napoleon: Total War and Empire: Total War for a fiver each (Amazon still haven't sent the latter though) while I wait for optimized drivers and patches to fix the poor performance in this game. The first Total War game I played was Shogun 2, which I picked up cheap in a Steam sale, but I have to say that Napoleon is absolutely terrific and it runs well too (60 fps on the campaign map!) maxed out, granted it is DX9 only. However, it doesn't look that different from Rome II, though neither game looks anywhere near as good as Shogun 2 IMO.

9. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    What exactly do you consider acceptable?

Still getting unacceptable drops in this game, FPS never really drop below 30FPS for me but never go above 50 FPS either.

I cannot recall FPS in Shogun 2 TW going below 55FPS

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    What bugs me about Rome II is the very poor performance on the campaign map when virtually nothing happens!!! I've seen it dip to 22-32 fps when just scrolling around a static map. And when something does happen, during A.I. turns, the framerate tanks to 9 fps. I don't know whether it's the game, the drivers or something on my system but Napoleon: TW and TW: Shogun 2 both run great maxed out.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    This game is doing some serious trolling on people's CPUs. In siege battles I occationally get this bug where frame rate is smooth (relatively speaking, in Rome 2 that's 40+ for me) but units start to skip animation. But it does look far better than previous Total Wars. Shogun 2 obviously wins on how efficient it is at producing the visuals it produce, but the level of detail just can't compete with this title (especially the campaign map, but I'm not saying this to justify the frame drop in current campaign map because obviously something is fubar with how poorly it scales with graphics setting when nothing is happening).

I think part of it has to do with Rome 2 being CA's first attempt at multicore support. All previous TW games just abused the hell out of single core and well, outdated but it barely got the job done. So on negative side we have this unoptimized ****. On the bright side IF they manage to pull it together, this game will scale so well. Big IF though.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have a theory that this game is single-threaded!!!

13. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    No way, it's using the crap out of all 4 cores on my PC.

Every other TW game all I see is one thread maxed out and that's it. This one all 4 are 70 ~ 80% used.

It would also explain why this is so buggy. If they just reskinned Shogun 2 to fit ancient mediterranean era (which I wouldn't have minded at all, minus siege battles), I doubt CA would be THAT incompetent to screw it up that much.

14. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Well if that is the case, my framerate in Rome 2 should be a min of around 60 - 70FPS.

I seem to recall Rome 2 using the exact same engine...How did they fck it up?

15. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Trying to support multicore usage without having enough experience and time to make it happen is my guess.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I really, really like this game, I really do, but the poor performance is really doing its best to put off the game. 15-25 fps juddery scrolling as I move around my campaign map is just... urgh! I really cannot work out why the game runs so badly on the campaign map. It's depressing really that my GTX 780 is barely being used here (temps rarely go above 51 C, that's how hard the game is pushing it here). :(

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Patch2 went live and issnt beta anymore. No fixes or new/different files tho when you have already patch2beta installed.

For me its not the performance which makes the game unplayable for me, its the multiplayer desync.

SP is already horrible boring and even on legendary way to easy. Only want to play MP atm cos friend can then play ai in battles and then its not that easy as in SP!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Playing with different languages in mp is also causing desync. I knew it all along....

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/93645-Known-MP-Campaign-Issues-(READ-BEFORE-POSTING)

I also dont get it, every TW suffered from desync since they introduced mp (empire:tw) and they fixed it at a certain time. Why do these desync coming back every fricking time, they cant be serious! I wonder how many months/year? its gonna take now until they fix that!

Seeing so many people there having issues with mp and actually cant play it (like we cant) is such a shame..

Also a no-go, if you play with some1 who dont have the Greek DLC, kick after battle.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Hopefully, beta patch 3 will improve performance for me... I guess we won't get it while Friday though. Still if it doesn't then I'll just take a break from this otherwise great game and play Empire/Napoleon: Total War instead which I've just picked up cheap from Amazon. :D

20. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    Fired up the benchmark for me its no improvement with my new card seeing dips in gpu usage and low memory usage also Rome 2 says my vid card has only 3Gb when it has 4Gb