Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    hehe, 40 secs is nothing, thats super fast. Changes later in game. Play MP and around round 15 its already 5 minutes. Round 60 is 15 minutes, so yeah... lol...

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    They use patch diff or xdelta. Thats why you need for those "22 mb patches" 10-20gb temp space.

3. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    Correct me someone if I'm wrong but TB is ignoring all games published by Sega because they messed him around by deleting his video with some game of theirs and wanted to delete his whole account without even letting him know about all this. Not sure about it, my memory is not in the state of its former glory but you could find a specific TB video ("Vlog" probably) where he explains the whole story in depth.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Your memory is fine :p TB will not cover Sega games.

5. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Radiopassive your memory looks glorious.

He's not going to be doing WTF Is of Rome 2 because it's published by SEGA.

It's not just you. That site has been suffering from serious performance issues for a while now (confirmed by the staff). They did hire a professional to sort things out though and are working on more permanent fix.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just tried another battle after the patch, this time Carthage. Game crashed after 5 min of fighting. That, and the fighting was pointless, it was just one giant moshpit.

Did the reviewers get a different game than I got?

7. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1
    No, they got blue envelope with it.

8. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    You need to get a key in order to download the beta patch, where do you get the key from?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    If it's Steam you just right click on the game in the list and select properties, from there select the beta tab.

There you have the option to enter a password to gain entry to a specific beta but the current 1.5 update is available to everyone so just select it from the drop-down list and Steam will update the game with the new files. :)

10. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I suppose I was lucky that I got the release date wrong for this (thought it was middle of September) and by the time I found out the stink about it was all over the TW forums when I looked.

I doesn't look like it will be salvageable by what I've read but I hope I'm wrong and maybe I can get it at the end of the year or something.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This game needs to go through a complete redesign and be re-released. If they had any decency, they would fully refund the customers that bought this game (and invalidate the CD keys) and take the game back into the workshop for another 6 months.

This game is barely beta status. The fact that I, and many others, can't even get through a single battle without it crashing is evidence enough of this. The AI is completely AWOL, the basic gameplay mechanics (flags, etc) are completely broken and make the game a gigantic moshpit instead of strategy. Also, I don't know what's up with everyone running around super fast and breaking out of formation.

This game clearly had zero Q&A done on it.

12. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    If they squash major bugs, optimize, and put a functional AI in it'll be a great game with some questionable design decision, but still great.

All the above are IMO fixable, but there are a lot of them and only limited time before the overlord SEGA demands more DLC before patches to fix the game lol

Right now it feels like this product belongs somewhere in mid beta phase where it's 90% feature complete but completely lacks polishing. Some people call this game pre-alpha but those people have no idea wtf pre-alpha entails.

13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
  14. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1070's SLI
    I just watched angry video review. Wow. There's some serious bugs in this. I wanted to purchase this game to.

15. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    ^ I thought the same thing. Not worth the cash at the moment.

Angry Joe's review did make me want to play Shogun 2 though so I ordered a copy of the gold edition which should be with me by the weekend!

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've been in several Alpha's that were a million times more stable than this.

17. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Cheers Gaizokubanou for the reply.

I have to say it does seem more of an alpha to me as well from what I can gather.

I decided to dig out and start a Medieval Total War 2 campaign (retrofit mod) as I was disappointed not to be playing Rome II and I'm having a great time of it so I'm not too bothered now anyway.

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I've only participated in 3 alphas and about 5 betas, and you are right that alphas can be much more stable.

But from my limited experience they are also extremely bare boned to the point that stability is a non issue because you can't do much with an alpha. Hence I think comparison to alphas are over exaggeration because having buggy features is different issue than complete absence of features.

The most recent alpha I played was Planetary Annihilation, and in there a typical alpha bug may include something like... ability to give order enemy units, which includes self destruct. It was rather stable, but hardly a game at all (more akin to tech demos held by makeshift UI). Rome 2 on the other hand? Broken sure, but certainly a game.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Regardless of the technicalities, this game was released in a completely broken state; both technically and core design wise.

I have one of the most popular computer configurations around according to Steam hardware survey (Intel Quad + GTX560 + 8GB (+SSD)). For this game to be constantly crashing on my setup is plain unacceptable and shows a complete lack of Q&A.

20. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Bugs they may fix. But core design? Best to get a refund ASAP while the game is at its most broken state because game design doesn't just change through patches.