Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ ShadowDuke - You can continue playing after Prologue 3 as that is the game I've been mistaking for being the campaign! I got a message that I could save after completing the objectives of Prologue 3 and that is what I've been playing since (right up the horrid bug I experienced which prevents me from progressing due to the enemy attacking me in Bovianum and all the Battle Deployment buttons being greyed out - see my post #232).

I was still given objectives to complete - eliminate Samnites and take over Bovianum, which I had just done prior to the bug occuring - so I would say that the Prologue continuation was intentional. It's not like there wasn't any missions or anything like that to do. It appeared to be a structured campaign, albeit one where there were only two or three other factions not the dozens you see in the main campaign.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    I would love that, like the time where its set better. Only need to know how to unlock Prologue3 now ;)

I finished Prologue2 twice and still havent unlocked 3, grrr.

Yeah, saw that with the factions on your Screen. But that you still get missions after ending prologue3 surprises me ;)

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My guess is that the prologue campaign is meant as a sampler for the main campaign and in that respect it works well, except for the bug I've encountered which effectively broke the game completely since I cannot progress without backtracking to an earlier savegame (I had just completed two major battles for Bovianum, which had to be done manually as auto-resolve was not an options, and I didn't fancy doing those again).

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    yup, and 2nd post stated he also cant access Prologue 3, same like me.

6. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    There is a major bug with diplomacy ATM. The balance of power bar never changes, so nobody will ever attack you. On VH/Legendary every faction that you share border with will attack you on turn 1 (derp, so much for diplomacy there lol), but if you open up in certain way you can avoid that and again no AI will attack you after that point.

Prologue is also very buggy because it sort of depend on player following strict direction, but towards the end you can deviate (which is what I think Darren did, as I see that "build siege weapons" on top right, which tells me he's on final phase of the prologue) and that can really fubar up the prologue.

Edit: BTW I'm sure all of you guys have played through prologue 3. Prologue 3 starts right after you defeat the rebels and the senate ask you to attack that town. The part that's broken is not having the ability to start the prologue from that point, but if you just play through prologue you should easily have gotten past that point.

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    "On VH/Legendary every faction that you share border with will attack you on turn 1"

Not for me. Rome, Egypt, Suebia tested. But now that you mentioned, no ai declared me war once, it was me ;)

As Rome, i saw (dont know the name now), how that faction always sending two large armies upon one of my City, it was always the same one. Im sure they wanted to attack me but just didnt do it, why ever, i dont know why! I kept troops there just in case, but at a certain point i thought,...nope...will remove them and see what happens.

Still, they move their troops back to their city next to mine, next move they moved again towards my city (only with troops over the sea btw!), and so on..every move they moving upon me and retreat the next, dont declare war, nothing...and this the whole time, this really sucks.

Luckily it gets a bit better when you play at least VH. Factions now let (sometimes) some troops stay in their cities.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The three prologues are not separate, at least I don't think they are, as I initially started with Prologue 1 and played for over an hour before I realised there was no way to save the tutorial. As such I ended up having to quit, knowing that I had not completed the prologue (the game did warn me though), but when I looked on the main menu, both Prologue 1 and 2 had unlocked so obviously I had played both without realising it. I then continued from Prologue 2 and presumably did Prologue 3 and was subsequently allowed to continue playing (and saving) after that.

I'm going to start the proper Rome campaign tonight though.

9. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    How strange. It looks like it's just me and handful of other people who are experiencing this "world declares war on you on turn 1".

Yep, you are right. They are continuous and you just unlock some form of checkpoint when chapters are unlocked.

10. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G

11. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 980Ti
    Edit

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I started the proper Rome campaign last night and ended up playing it for well over three hours. I managed to get as far as doubling the number of Generals and Fleets I could have (6 and 8 respectively), which was nice. I also noticed that the turns in the full campaign take much longer, 30-40 seconds, which can be a bit aggravating as you wait for all the factions/countries to complete their turns.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I will check that out tonight as he does raise some valid points in his reviews.

That said, I do find his style to be a bit wearing and immature at times (check out his Flashback HD playthrough to see what I mean... I actually had to mute the audio for that one)! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a light-hearted, fun tone but I think he goes too far at times.

16. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    He's spot on about it though, i wouldn't give it more than a 5/10 either.

played about 20 hours so far, and all on the campaign map, battles are atrocious imo. Gonna wait a month or so to see what they change.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/88210-Patch-1.5-in-BETA-Today?

You can now opt-in to the patch 1.5 beta. :)

EDIT: Hmm it's a single fix so I guess the previous patch should be considered 1.0 and this being 1.5 should mean the next update (Update #2) is version 2.0 then?

EDIT: Oh yeah they use the new content format so archives are actually updated instead of fully replaced which decreases download size but the patch can appear to stutter or fully stall for a while as the archive is updated since this game uses fewer but larger data pack files. :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  18. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Cannot wait for Total Biscuit's WTF Is Rome 2 Total War :D:D:D

Used to think he went out of his way to moan about games but after further inspection his reviews or first impressions are just...REAL. Unlike these biased and bribed so called "professional reviewers" (Gamespot were caught with their pants down with the whole Kane & Lynch saga.)

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So that's why these 22 MB patches seem to take absolutely ages to download and seem to stop at the 16-19 MB mark then before going on to complete... eventually? I thought it was odd that they took so long to download.

20. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Same here, good to know.

Is the TWcenter site stupidly slow for anyone else or is it just me?