1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roku - anyone having connection issues lately?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by 0blivious, Sep 8, 2018.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    So we have 3 Roku Express's in our house. One is a little older and two are newer versions with better hardware inside. During the past couple weeks, the two newer ones started acting up. Netflix doesn't load right. Amazon Video, same deal. Even our home video server becomes tough to reach. The Roku says it has a poor internet connection. Some of the little preview pics will load, others stay grey. Trying to play a video usually results in failure.

What's odd is the other, older Roku isn't having these issues. The other 2 seemed to start this behavior at the same time which makes me think perhaps there was a borked update that the older one didn't get?

My wireless internet works great on all my other devices and my Smart TV connects to Netflix (etc) just fine. The Rokus are both within about 25 feet of the wireless router. The older one that works great is actually further away (40 feet).

I tried the reset on them to no avail. Anyone have any ideas what may be happening here? I googled this and came up with very little.

I want to say I bought these newer ones about 6 months ago so returning them may still be an option.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im not have any issue with my roku tv, use to watch comet tv every night it works as it should be

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    So I bought some Fire Sticks and plugged them into the same two TVs that house my erratic Rokus. The new Amazon devices work great.

I really like the voice control and how snappy the overall responsiveness is. We have a few echo dots and I bought my Mother a 7" Echo Show. Having used those a fair amount, this fire stick's Alexa functionality is basically an Echo Show on your TV minus the far field voice control and having to say "Alexa".

It's not for everyone as it's clearly geared towards Amazon content and the interface isn't quite as friendly as the Roku but I still like them. I bought two more (for a total of 4). At $25 (prime sale), these things are a steal.

Our oldest Roku is still a trooper though. Weird.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Did you try rebooting your router in case it was having a brainfart with those devices?

Sometimes just the reboot clears the cache/memory of the router and sorts the problem even if other devices are running fine

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I'll have to try that. I think I did early into this problem but now I forget if it was some other time I rebooted it.