ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Acer will release the XB270HU sometime in March, see this thread, 1440p, Gsync. 144Hz and IPS panel ;)

I hope it won't have the issues the Swift does, but we'll have to wait for reviews, and mostly, user comments. Also, I hope it's a bit cheaper than the Asus ROG premium price tag but cheap quality counterpart. But I'm desperately hoping this will turn out better...

2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I had no problems dealing with ASUS. I have back light bleed and have never noticed ANY other problems with the monitor. I asked for a replacement. They said they don't have any and asked me if I want a full refund.

Problem is, should I get rid now and wait for this monitor? I have shot myself in the foot really as this monitor is a month away and ASUS have already asked me twice via email what I would like to do! HELP!!! lol What should I do!

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the tip, lets hope so.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know about the blacklight bleed and other like fuzzy issues some users had with the Swift -- but it definitely doesn't have the pixel mapping problem. You can see the pixel mapping issue in the TFT test for the Swift, I just never noticed it until after I bought the monitor. The XB270HU review doesn't have that problem.

Most people don't notice the pixel mapping issue, but I'm like 99.9% confident every monitor does it and once you notice it, you can't un-notice it. And honestly after having this monitor for 6-8 months now I'm used to it but it still makes me angry that my $800 monitor has a problem that I can't get fixed.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm thinking about asking ASUS if its possible to get a full refund for the screen like HonoredShadow did. If so, I'll do it just when the Acer XB270HU is released and buy that one instead.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, it's entirely up to you. The question is, would you opt for the XB270HU if it is better or as good as the Swift? Because some people like their whole gear to be from ASUS / ROG, that's why I'm asking, or they are biased towards Acer. I personally am happy I did not get the Swift, and desperately waiting for the Acer to be reviewed by a couple of sites (see my thread, there's a link to TFT central), and of course, user reviews. Might as well get one as soon as it's out and see for myself.

Well the worst that could happen to the two of you is, you return it, get a full refund, and buy another Swift, prolonging any guaranties :D
    Other options might include returning the Swift, and see it drop in price once models like the XB270HU are out, and then get another one if the Acer's worse, or you might get the Acer down the road if it's either cheaper, or better build quality than the Swift. In TFTcentral's review, it at least pulls less power from the wall :D

7. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I'm not biased towards a brand or company. That would be stupid. I ONLY want what is the single best monitor out there for gaming. Who in the world would want other wise?! lol

Btw, that's not directed at you. That's directed at stupid people who would buy all same brand and not have the best of the best then because of a stupid name on the things they buy.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh I didn't take it personally, although I was wondering if I should buy EVGA 980s since they messed with Unwinder in the past. Seeing that by the time I got my Strix cards, the available EVGA ACX cards were not better than the ASUS ones, I didn't think any further. But I'm fully aware that's a subjective thing to consider, and that other's might find Acer screens lacking because of some previous experiences, like failed or troublesome RMAs. Which to me personally would make sense, like some might think twice about buying another Swift, or Samsung SSDs, or Nvidia 970s, you name it :)

9. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    That's very true and all needs factoring in to the purchases we make. I don't notice anything wrong with this monitor apart from the light bleed bottom right and half way through center of monitor.

The colour is also acceptable and does not look much better than my 2 other IPS monitors. So my reason for buying would be slimmer than some. IPS are usually slower and blur more. Will have to see with this Acer.

10. Karn

Karn Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix OC
    Worst Monitor I have ever owned, I went through 3 of them last week.

Every single one of them had 10-12 dead pixels out of the box.

Def a QC issue on these screens, I finally said screw it and got my money back and just bought the ASUS VG248QE 144hz.

I didn't notice much difference using G-Sync honestly.

Just can't justify the money for such a crappy made product :(

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Does that even work with basic display specifications? Because that's a sh*tload of dead pixels :eek3:

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That seems weird, I've gone through 5 monitors and I only had one with one stuck pixel that fixed itself.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Still it's not normal having to go through 5 monitors >.<
    Shame on you ASUS.

14. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Mine had a stuck pixel but that quickly went away.
    Asus really dropped the ball on this one, although I have had a lot of bad luck with their QC.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Every once in a while I'd send it back to try to get one without the inversion/pixel mapping. They all had it. Some people on this forum claim they don't get it -- but I have a feeling they just don't see it. Most people I've asked to look at my monitor don't see it until I specifically point it out to them.

What I find amusing is that this monitor was supposed to come out in March last year. They delayed it like 5 months and it still had massive issues. I mean mine is limited to the pixel problem. But I know for the first few months tons of them had dead pixels, cloudy AG coating, some of them just randomly started distorting text and dying, etc.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yea well buying something on release day is mostly bad news. I'll hopefully know better until next time.

17. Pepi

Pepi Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    me, 10 replacement and all with dead pixels. Now looking for used one, this way i can get one without dead/stuck pixels.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, we will see if there even will be some 'good' screens to get, or on the secondary market... if I'd have a nice Swift, I'd probably sell if for more than retail price :D

19. Pepi

Pepi Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    I have found one for 500€ with no dead pixels, but now the seller is not sure about selling it. Also found s shop that sells these screens that have been used as demo for asus under dreamhack. Sure they will not use screens with dead pixels so people can see. Price 650€ Or take a chance and get a new one for 740€

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  20. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    its odd, I bought one of those monitors when it was originally released last year, had no issues, and bought another from amazon uk few days ago for different system, and again no issues, I checked for good 20mins for dead pixels just to make sure. im surprised so many people have had this issue with this monitor,