ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    You've only had it one day, give it time!!

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Asus is shocking with the QA, luckily mine has hasn't had any pixel issues on the first go. I do have inversion with the screen though so I'll be replacing this with the Acer G-Sync variant with the IPS panel.

3. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3090 XG438Q
    Next Friday is my Birthday and I order one ROG Swift as a present for myself. After waiting long enough, I'm glad it's finally available locally in my country. Though it cost 1005 Dollars or 44490 Pesos.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    so for those of u who had this baby for a while, how is it performing?

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I wonder if there's maybe a scheme of improvement behind this, or does somebody know if the return numbers are still as high as I got the impression with the first batch of production when the monitor was released?
    I'm still curious to see Acer's matching monitor get released, and at which price, and with what problems it comes (besides the obvious TN pannel bashing).

6. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    I don't think you can get an accurate count of returns on the product from this thread. And without a count of satisfied owners, the numbers would be useless.

It's a lottery for all monitors. There are plenty of satisfied owners, I think it's the best monitor I've owned. I could never go back to a non Gsync monitor.

7. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3090 XG438Q
    Just Got one for my Birthday..So Far so good..No Dead Pixels..But somehow one stuck pixel has manifested on the lower right side but dissappear in just a couple of minutes. So far I'm very happy and didn't notice any "Problems" Yet...

[​IMG]

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well my many year old HannsG monitor finally died so I had to buy something today. Decided against the Swift though. Bought the ASUS MX279 which is a 27" IPS. Only 1080p but it looks fantastic so far. I can't believe the difference in picture quality. And it was cheap.

Still waiting on the next revision of the Swift

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I hope it stays that way, especially about that single pixel, have fun with the new screen :)

I'm not sure there'll be one. If gsync as a nvidia only sollution really is coming to an end due to open source standards (as people buying AMD cards frequently claim), there won't be any more gsync monitors. If gsync persists, there will be a cheaper version sometime, and cheaper does not necessarily mean it's of better build quality and quality checks out of the factory. If there's a revision of the 1440p swift (there's a 4K one too I think...), it will feature some other useless stuff and be a bit more expensive, and not necessarily have any really better quality reassurance.

Even though I am building my next rig with 1440p in mind, the feeling it will not get a swift to show the pictures grows with each day. Too bad, I was waiting for price drops (that never came), or better production batches (which there is no information available).

10. circus2050

circus2050 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti FTW3
    I have my Swift for a month now and so far I don't have any issues with the monitor itself.

The performance is great but it depends on the game also.
    If you want to run some older games some of them won't like 144Hz. With some of these games it helps if you will play with the refresh rate on the monitor, start at 60 and increase it 144, it works sometimes.

In our current games when the frames drop below 50 the image wont be fluid like it is when it's above 60. Ah well, at least there is no stutter and tearing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

11. 7a6363

7a6363 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA P42962KR GTX 960
    So Far So Good - I ordered two in case one was a dud, and the first one appears to be flawless. It's been a long time since I bought a new LCD, so I'm pretty impressed. Newegg took the RMA without restock fee for the unopened one, I'm just out $40 to ship it back. Cheap insurance against having no monitor for days.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. Adexus

Adexus Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLi
    Very very tempted to get one of these, I'm wondering how the black level is though? From the screenshots and videos I've seen they look deep enough for me I think.

13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    About as good as any IPS I have seen. Read that as not good enough. Can't believe what most monitors are like apart from Plasma and VA. This is ridiculous that we have gone backwards tech wise in this regard.

For games to truly look like they have depth and 3D looking we need MUCH better contrast ratio. REAL contrast not the fake numbers they use to sell monitors.

The Eizo was a step in the right direction but sadly had gamma shift and other problems.

14. Adexus

Adexus Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLi
    Ah damn, I've got the Asus VN279QLB which I read has the same panel as the BenQ GW2760HS and at 100% brightness it has a black point of 0.14 according to tftcentral which is good enough for me.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Black point alone as a measure is not meaningful. Black point relative to white level is. A black point of 0.14 is bad when your white level is 10 cd/m2, for instance (giving an extreme example here). It's a good result if your white level is 100 cd/m2 or above.

16. Adexus

Adexus Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLi
    It's 328.76 cd/m2 at 100% with 0.14, yeah I like it bright... looks quite dull any lower.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I really wonder if the "Incorrect Pixel Mapping" will ever be fixed. Is it a driver issue, a cable issue, a hardware issue or a panel issue?

I've had it since day one and even got my store to exchange the monitor for a new one which didn't help at all. Nowadays I just learned to live with it but for such an expensive monitor it's a shame.

Watch in fullscreen/HD and pay attention to the green names as they get pixelated the camera moves.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It won't be fixed. I've gone through multiple monitor RMAs all with different manufacturing dates -- all have the same problem. It's most likely a panel issue and there doesn't seem to be a new revision from AU Optronics in the works. In fact they basically replaced it with the IPS version found in the new Acer, which will probably be my next monitor when I get rid of my garbage Swift.

The issue annoys me but ASUS's complete lack of communication on it annoys me way further. They just completely deny that it's a problem when in fact it's far more annoying then any other issue I've found on any monitor I've ever owned.

You can even see the pixel issue with TFT's review of the Swift:

[​IMG]

The Acer XB270HU:

[​IMG]

The striping in the overshoot is ridiculous on the Swift.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I tend to agree, for that price it should be a kickass monitor with no problems at all (except basic production differences and spread spectrum). I'm waiting for Acer to follow with it's displays too, and secretly hoping it's not the same story with their 144Hz 1440p Gsync display.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    It's sad indeed and will refrain me to buy more ASUS products. Also true that ASUS doesn't give a rat's ass which is sick considering the premium price of this monitor.

Still, what would be a good replacement for it? 144Hz, 1440p and G-sync is a must.