ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
  2. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I do get flashing every two seconds on my PB278Q PLS monitor in that same test though? The colors are really no different from the PG to the PB in the gray box.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well, no one has any confirmation as to whether the green test and the RGB stripe effect are related.

Basically to give a little history, here is what happened:

The monitor came out and some people (myself included) very early on noticed that there was a really weird effect occurring in bright objects when they are in motion. It's extremely brief and you really have to be looking for it to notice it. One of the professional reviews (i forget which) mentioned a "screen door effect" on the monitor and attributed it to an inversion problem. I don't really know how they came to that conclusion.

So eventually someone linked that review and started calling it an inversion problem. Then the inversion tests got posted and everyone noticed their images turned green on the UFO test. I also noticed that on the test, the vertical bars that run across the image do appear to be striped, similar to the issue seen in movement in games. Regardless, everyone connected the two and said that if you have green you also have this RGB stripe problem. Whether or not the two were related, I don't know.

Here is a post a made a while back if you want to do the UFO test:

"http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion&pattern=distortion&ppf=5

This test actually shows the effect. If you have a PG turn ULMB OFF and view this test fullscreen in chrome with Aero enabled. The box has dull red stripes going through it horizontally. The effect in games is similar but the color is different depending on the color of the object having issues. It really only happens in motion and it looks awful"

I haven't heard of anyone PG287Q that doesn't turn green in that test under the proper conditions. Even people who claim they don't see the stripe problem say theirs turns green under this test. But like I said, most people who claim they don't see the stripe problem are either A) Not playing games that expose the issue significantly or B) Just not susceptible to that level of detail. C) Part of a higher echelon that received a monitor meant for the CEO of ASUS. Also again, it's possible that the green issue and the stripe problem are completely unrelated.

At this point, due to the number of different panel's I've seen and people who initially claimed they didn't see an issue then recanted, I can only assume that the RGB stripe issue is simply a property of the panel they are using for this monitor -- and that it effects every panel.

If you have the monitor and enjoy it though, just use it. I love mine despite this problem as I've grown to just ignore it. My problem with the entire thing was the way ASUS handled it. At the time no one knew if it was a wide spread issue or just limited to a few, so if it was possible that I could get one with it fixed i'd like to obviously get one without the problem. But ASUS never commented on it at all. So no one knew anything and multiple people returned their swifts multiple times to no avail.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  4. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    No green hue whatsoever at fullscreen with this test:
    http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion&pattern=uniformity2&ppf=5

No red stripes with this test:
    http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion&pattern=distortion&ppf=5

I really can't complain about this monitor. Maybe I got one of the good ones? Count me as the one person you've heard of that doesn't have the issues. I will definitely update the thread if I start seeing problems, but for now this monitor continues to rock.

And if it's safe to make broad generalizations, I would have to say most people who own this monitor don't have problems, but those who do have the issues are the few that do and I see messages from those same people on multiple forums voicing their issues. I feel for those that do though for sure. It's a great monitor.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

5. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Damn, really? Make sure the second test runs at 120Hz, I'm definitely seeing red stripes then. My bar is also completely green on the first test :(

What settings do you use for your monitor? Color, brightness/contrast, resolution, refresh rate, ULMB/OD ? When did you buy the monitor?

Well doesn't really matter actually, I get it with every setting xD

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  6. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    The top half of the demo turns green for me in the first test only when I don't run with the browser maxed, though the bottom half stays gray no matter where I move the window to.

I use the settings from the Tom's Hardware review (not sitting there right now, but I turned brightness up a little higher than the review setting. Brightness may be at 50 or 55-ish). I'm running G-sync so the ULMB is off. OD is set to Normal. Pretty much these settings:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor,3897-4.html

My monitor purchase date is 2014/09/23. The store didn't even have them listed in inventory for more than a few hours and they received only three. These things do not stay in stock whatsoever. I received a Newegg notification last week in an e-mail message and two hours later, they were out of stock.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  7. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Every other post now in this thread is ubercake replying "dur, I must of gotta good one". Then another dude will say, "man, every other Swift must be defective". :bang:

I'm thinking every Swift that was returned by someone, for the 5th time perhaps, just gets sold to someone whose perfectly happy with it. People typically don't stare at a solid color image or a ufo test all day. Psychological phenomenon?

8. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    My screen just started flickering.

After playing some RO2 I exited to the desktop and my screen has been flickering since.

Hopefully it's just driver related I'm on 334.75 WHQL...brb

-edit-
    I'm now back on 334.16 and haven't experienced any flickering so far.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  9. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i got my swift yesterday, and i love it. works like a charm (so far lol).
    I spoke to the staff of the retailer i bought it off and they told me they have sold many of these monitors and not one has come back for RMA.

It ****s all over my Dell U2711 except for clarity and colors imo.... still using it as a 2nd monitor

10. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    I seem to have issues every now and then with Gsync not syncing properly. Anyone else? When the notification "Gsync minitor is now connected" shows up, it usually works great. But either way I always see the red light by the power button on.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I've noticed some ghosting recently.

It's this green (sometimes rainbow-like) type of blur that is most visible on fences and mesh in games.

It's also visible when scrolling on web-pages or moving a window around on the desktop.

Anyone else seeing this?

12. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Guys I might buy this monitor on Saturday. Reason being is I would like a g-sync monitor and would also like an upgrade in resolution.

With my current set up, can I run most games max close to 144fps?

I was thinking that since it has g-sync. I wouldn't "feel" fps drops.

Your advice is appreciated.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think you should do good with SLI 980s. They pretty much should bring you 100 or more fps on 90% of the games. Please let me know if I'm wrong though...

14. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Yeah let us know how 2 x 980's do with the swift.

i have 2 gigabyte gtx 980's and 2 blocks.... too effing lazy to install em.
    its annoying having to drain my loop.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe turn it upside down and hope for the best? :D
    But yeah, as I am somewhat toying with the idea of getting just the same, SLI 980s under water, I'm very curious what performance I can expect.
    Also, what blocks are you using buf? EK?

16. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Yup from EK. got all my gear from EK. their shipping is pricey, but its worth it. takes 3-4 days from Slovenia to AUS

GPU wise you would gain performance big time.

You have a GTX 580, a GTX 680 is pretty much twice as powerful as the 580. a GTX 980 is pretty much twice the power of the 680... imagine 2 980's under water OC to the max lol

Edit: You are going to get X99 yea? what cpu?
    I am planning to do it next year sometime, but for me to benefit from what i have is the 8 core 5960X. No point replacing a 6 core with another 6 core lol. My 3930k @ 4.6Ghz has served me very well for nearly 3 years!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, somehow I favor the looks of those EK stuff, but I haven't looked around too much yet. I just thought you might have experience with different manufacturers. As for the CPU I guess I'll go with the 5930K, but I'm really not sure because it's a sh*tload of money to spend, doesn't help me find easy decisions... but I don't want to go into too much detail to go too far OT :D

But as for the 580-680-980SLI jumps, with the 980s performance and the possibility of proper SLI with a new rig, I read the benchmarks, and felt that it might be the right time to step up regarding a screen too. Looked around, and it happened to be pretty close to the paperlaunch of the Swift... and wow this thing looked like a gem of monitors to me (I'm a gamer who never had an IPS, so I think I can go with a TN ;) and I couldn't wait for the launch.

Then I read about it, the reviews, and mostly, this thread here, and I kind of lost a bit of interest in the screen. With all the troubles people found and noted here, I don't want to find out that the experience of blowing my mind away is ruined by some artifacts... I'm curious how that ACER screen will perform, as it's got the same specs as the swift, and to be honest, I guess it'll be cheaper, and I see it 100€ cheaper or more.

18. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

yeah man wait till some reviews of the acer monitor when it comes out. hopefully it will be cheaper. if it is, do u think asus will drop the price on the swift?

I have a dell 27" 1440p IPS monitor.... and it has much more color compared to the swift... also it seems abit more crisp. My Dell isn't the best for gaming. But then again, i don't have OCD like some other ppl do lol

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess what people like about the IPS panel is what usually keeps them around, and as I never had one I can't really judge the difference if I wold get one of those. Yet I'll try to compare apples to apples and the swift with the acer screen, since they should have the same specs. If the technology is like the swift with the same price, I expect it to be less buggy and receive less RMAs. If it's cheaper you can't really expect it to be substantially more reliable than the 'premium' priced product (although I could imagine that).

What I know is that I'd like to have 144Hz 1440p screens with gsync / fsync support for whatever card I use :D

20. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    No, I haven't experienced this at all.

Does it only happen with SLi?