ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Okay, that I believe to be annoying indeed. Looks like it's even worse than on other TN pannels.

2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 3080
    I do not get that with mine. I have it set up for eye height and tilted the bottom in towards the wall a little not the other way (which is not good).

I see nothing like that with mine as I sit head on. Yours seems to be far worse than others. Don't get me wrong I can see a little colour shift from top to bottom but hardly anything.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    Thought so gonna return it and get another one then.

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, sorry to hear :( Hope you get a better one!

Reading this thread I get the feeling every other Swift is RMA'd... I wonder if Asus even bothers looking at those numbers, because they surely don't look that good... :3eyes:

5. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I don't have that issue either, like HonoredShadow I see a slight shift but what you have is pretty bad. RMA it.

6. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    The problem is that now 2 Bulgarian ASUS service center are saying the monitor has only local warranty.. I've asked support to check this for me. The worst case scenario I will have to return it to Germany cause I bought it from there. There wasn't anyone selling it in Bulgaria :( . I guess all the samples sent to the media for reviews were pre-checked because I didn't read one bad review for this monitor and now people have backlight bleeding vertical stripes g-sync malfunctioning... ASUS sure crapped all over the place with this one.

7. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Is this worth upgrading to, if u have a Samsung S27A950D one of the better 1080p monitors duo to glossy screen and good colors and decent black levels.

I am really excited about this swift one, but is it worth the upgrade ?

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Great monitor. Would have kept mine if not for the 1080p. Dont have a Swift to compare though. :D.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly at this point with the QC issues and the price I wouldn't recommend this monitor to anyone. The reports of dead pixels and monitors that just cease to work after weeks is alarming. Even if you get a good one you have the inversion issue which may be a problem if you're sensitive to it.

It also pisses me off that ASUS just simply ignores all these issues and refuses to respond about it. And it really blows my mind that the original launch date for this monitor was in March when they can barely ship it now without tons of issues.

For $800 -- find something else or wait for adaptivesync monitors next year..

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    There are also a lot of things that are broken SPECIFICALLY on this monitor.

For example stereoscopic 3D + SLI works with any 3D monitor except this one using 7 or 9 series cards. No sight of a fix or recognition any time soon, I'm pretty pissed about it. This stuff costs a fortune and is just disregarded by nvidia/asus.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Unless you don't change your GPU, it's likely you won't see much help from Async, because Nvidia might not support anything other than Gsync.

But yeah... I'm a bit disappointed about that piece of hardware, and I sign everything Denial said above. ANd I don't even have one, just out of reading I wouldn't recommend this screen to anybody. No real support besides waiting for some wonder drivers to fix half of the issues, really annoying stuff like very obvious problems with it's brightness, among other stuff, and a big price tag hardly worth the trouble to go through.

12. whitespider

whitespider Member Guru

GPU:
    I can't shake the feeling that freesync is going to not quite perform what gsync does. Don't get me wrong, I want to see it do exactly the same thing. Since that will allow more chance for a ips/freesync monitor. However when tom petersen was explaining gsync and how it differs in the way it processes and buffers/times frames - i believed him, despite his bias towards the product he was endorsing.

Although at this point im just thining about getting the 4k gsync monitor, i just set my catleap 2b, 2560x1440 / 130hz, to the stock of 60hz and it was NOT the downgrade i was expecting. I overclocked my catleap 2b from the getgo, so i never really used 60hz on this monitor, my frame of reference was 60hz on the u2711 - which has a wonderful picture, yet controls and tears like a tank. 60hz on this catleap is only 20% less smooth than 130hz, and the responsiveness is comparable. Yet i use this u2711 sitting here, and uhhhh. Horrible.

So since all the gsync monitors are TN with fast response times, even the 4k 60hz acer, then my biggest issue with 60hz is not really there. And that's the tank like input rate of the u2711. And that's not even factoring in how gsync will smooth everything out.

In other words, really cutting down what i said to a bare minimum, I think a 60hz gsync solution is way more comparable to what i've had all this time than a 60hz dell/u2711/u3011 is. Hell, superior considering the games i play (non competitive) and how gsync works.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I'm hoping there's some truth in the saying, "The third time's the charm", because I just ordered #3 from Newegg. Will I regret ordering from them vs Amazon if there is something wrong (e.g. dead pixel on $800 monitor)?

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I hope you don't suffer that fate... I'm yet waiting for a second batch of manufacturing, or maybe a Rev2 screen, something that works against the hardware issues with this thing. And, also, a driver fix...

15. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I must have gotten a really good one because the inversion issue is non-existent on mine. I have no dead pixels. I've run all the recommended tests out of paranoia resulting from all of the bad reviews I've seen. I'm thinking Asus released an entire bad run on Amazon because I've seen similar bad reviews there.

I picked one up at the local Microcenter rather than online because I wanted to be able to take it back if I had any of the issues any other people have run across.

I feel for anyone whose gotten a bad product for sure, but mine is definitely a gem. It's really amazing what G-sync brings to the table for gamers. Not only does the PG278Q eliminate tearing, lag, and stutter, it allows you to run at full details at 1440p and reduced AA (because of higher pixel density compared to a 27" 1080p high-refresh monitor) and all now with a single high-end card since video is even smooth under the 60fps mark. I no longer need an SLI setup to get great video performane no that I'm using G-sync. As framerates fluctuate while gaming, video is consistently smooth at 100fps, 30fps, 60fps... you just don't notice the changes.

This monitor in particular while the viewing angles are not as good as my PB278Q I use for work, the colors are near the same quality and the contrast is the same if not better on the PG278Q. I guess if I were gaming in a chair that was randomly changing height on me I wouldn't be able to stand the color shift of the reduced viewing angle of the PG278Q compared to my PLS monitor. Fortunately, my chair and I are pretty stationary while gaming so there's no disadvantage there.

Adaptive sync or even Freesync are still a concepts we've yet to see any manufacturers adopt. If they do though, it will definitely be good for competition and ultimately we as consumers will benefit.

I would say if you have the coinage for one of these PG278Q monitors and trust a particular vendor's return policy, pick one up. Better yet, if a local store carries it, get it that way because a lot of online retailers have really crappy return policies if you want to return something simply because you don't like it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I actually wrote the Amazon top review but bought my mine from Newegg. I've personally seen five different swift panels all with the inversion issue. All of them were from online stores but all different ones with varying manufacturing dates. There have also been a ton of people that commented saying they didn't see the inversion problem then later recanting it or clarifying that it didn't bother them. I'm pretty confident, 99% confident, that it's an intrinsic property of the panel and not a manufacturing defect.

But I mean ultimately the inversion one is subjectively bad. Some people obviously don't care, I've actually grown kind of accustom to ignoring it and just enjoying the rest of the features. That being said, there is no way you can ignore the fact that the vast majority of people have had issues with their panels outside of inversion. The overclock thread has like tons of posts with people returning 2, 3, or even more monitors due to dead pixels, massive backlight bleed, or other issues.

An $800 monitor that was supposed to ship in March and delayed multiple times for quality issues shouldn't have these problems. I don't really care how new the technology is or whatever excuse ASUS is peddling.

And yeah, G-Sync is excellent and I definitely don't fault Nvidia for any of these issues. But in my opinion this monitor isn't worth $800 and with all the issues people have; if you're in the market for a monitor you're probably better off waiting for adaptive-sync. At least that will help drive prices down and maybe by then either the Swift's issues will be fixed or some other monitor will come out that will be superior.

17. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    My monitor is definitely not first-run.

Which pixel inversion test did you use on your monitor? This page explains pixel inversion:
    http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html#inversion
    and provides tests.

Do you see the same result with the monitor set at 120Hz? Is it as apparent with the lower refresh for you?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    With the three panels I had I used the UFO inversion test:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion&pattern=uniformity2&ppf=5

At full screen that image has a green hue for me regardless to the frequency or overdrive setting. The OD setting definitely changes the actual effect of it in games though, but no setting removes it -- it just kinda shifts it to looking slightly different.No other monitor I've test it on, U2410, QX2710, U2420T nor the countless monitors I've tested at work. None of them get a green hue. And I've never seen this effect with any other monitor except for the five swift's I've tested.

That being said, I'm not even sure if the inversion test issue is related to the actual effect of vertical lines people refer too when using term "inversion". I think it just has become a catch all phrase for the effect.

The best picture I've seen of the effect thus far was captured here:

http://i.imgbox.com/FRbfR7Cz.jpg

Notice the vertical RGB stripe lines on the rim and even slightly in the paint on the left side. It's more profound in bright objects with heavy motion.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39743&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1407186214

It's also noticeable there in the explosion on the left side.

I've personally returned my display twice, all three have had the issue. All three were manufactured about a month apart. My current one was manufactured in October. My neighbor/friend also has a Swift and claimed he didn't have these issues until I pointed them out to him in Warframe. He returned his and also received an Oct. manufactured model and the problem persisted.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50004-PG278Q-vertical-stripes-esp-in-3D-mode

This thread is probably the most comprehensive summary of the issue. Don't be misled by the title.

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    @ Denial

That green hue is very weird and shocking indeed. But to be honest I would've never known it did that if I didn't do that test. I don't notice anything weird or out of the ordinary when gaming. Probably I am like your friend who says that nothing is wrong with this monitor until he is specifically pointed at it.

I prefer to stay on the ignorant side here :D I'm only a little troubled that this monitor is too bright by default, but in desktop this can be fixed via the driver gamma settings. Still finding out a way to force my custom color profile in games, but overall I'm very happy with the monitor, coming from an old 1200p panel.

3D gaming is a blast compared to movie cinema 3d and most 3D tvs. And playing my games with a 144Hz refresh rate, 120 fps cap gSynced is truely amazing.

It's also sad that this monitor is plagued by driver issues for so long. Things can break just because of this specific monitor.

Besides that, it is STILL the only 144Hz 1440p 3D Gsync panel out there... So it's probably not easy to make the perfect panel right at the start. I would've waited, but it seems like it could still take months before any comparable alternatives arise.

20. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I'm going to make a real effort to see this. But I do have a question... If you get a green hue during the test, what does it indicate? I know I don't see any verticle lines as I've seen in tests people have put up on you tube, but if I get a green cast while running the test, what does it mean?

Also, I haven't had any driver issues as I got my monitor after the 'out of range' fix as VultureX mentioned. I pretty much only play BF4, Rocksmith and Titanfall, though.