ROG Strix SCAR 17 with the latest AMD Ryzen processors and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Looks fairly "thin" for a gaming laptop, especially taking into consideration what it has inside.
    Good to see companies putting AMD inside their premium lineup at last.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is the new version of mine. i went ROG from MSI to actually save money at the time (shocker).
    mine has last gen Intel w/rtx 2070. it is surprisingly good even if overly rgb. the battery life should be even better with Ryzen 3 and rtx 30xx. Nvidia's new whisper mode will give even better battery life.
    i have to wait a bit for the supply to hit the market, but by this summer i'll either be rocking the 15" or waiting for the all AMD solution.
    btw... for many they will have quicker access to next gen gpus through mobile as no one uses them to mine.

4. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Not a big fan of ROG books, but this one looks quite cool chassis wise.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    The question is where are they getting Ryzen 9 and 3080 chips from to even make these in the first place?

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX 8c/16t
    15.6" @165Hz or 17.3" @ 300 Hz + 3 ms + Adaptive Sync
    guess "starter kit" variant will get 16GB RAM, a bit more for 32GB, guess 64GB and 128GB RAM combos are also plausible/possible
    RTX 3080 16GB
    cooling system with 6 heatpipes
    4 speaker system with Dolby Atmos
    opto-mechanical keyboard
    16+ hours of battery life (most likely up to 10 hours of heavy gaming and up to 15 hours of relaxed usage with lowered diplay light)

..it's every "traveling gamer's" dream and all of that going from just $2299 (no way 17.3" + 32GB version is going to cost less than $3000) ...I'm nothing more than impressed :eek:

Honestly I'm scared to even think how much this beast would cost here in my country, guess between €4000 and €5000 for "starter version" with 15.6" display... and believe it or not still there are people here willing to pay that much to get something like that, mostly not for gaming but for on-the-go 3D rendering, photo & video editing...

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am pretty sure, that heavy gaming means 160~200W here. And battery life around 1 hour :D

Side note: Since new laptops are just showing up:
    17'' : 5800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3070 8G => $1650 (w/o VAT)

Loophole35 likes this.
  8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Really hope it's gonna last at least around 5 to 10 hours for gaming on battery, but not just for indie games and not with screen backlight dimmed below 50%... or else someone at Asus is going to be crucified by "mobile gamers" who dropped that amount of cash for this laptop, at least I would do that :D

Would like to see easiliy (by end user) removable battery on this one but guess that's not gonna happen, it's going to be same story like 95% of laptops released in past 2-3 years. Or at least option to disable internal battery either by laptop BIOS or by manufacturer provided software, last time I saw that few years ago it was possibe on some Dell laptop iirc. Really miss that easiliy removable battery option on most of freshly released models with price tag between €400 and €1000.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    different production run with mobile variants.
    Mobile is actually more popular than desktop plus there is never a need to worry about miners.
    mobile procs are relatively "gimped" for power and heat so there is no 1:1 performance between desktop and mobile.

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

actually, gaming on the last gen in Whisper mode with an Intel mobile (more power hungry) and rtx 2070 i've been able to game on battery for 90 minutes or work for 5 hrs in power savings mode.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's still around 1h. Like when you have 90Wh battery and gaming pulls 60W. => 1.5h.
    But this is not 60W laptop when gaming with good graphical settings. People buy those to actually have decent visuals.

Other than that, I do agree that they can last reasonable amounts of time. Because even 1hour is reasonable time for high end gaming laptop with current battery technologies.
    I have been used to 45 minutes of gaming with 88Wh battery 7~8 years ago. (3rd gaming laptop.) And I considered battery in that laptop as backup when moving that heavy monster around.
    My 1st laptop could last 3.5 hours with all tuned up running rmclock. Or it ate battery in 1h20mins when I actually did something heavier.
    Now I run ultrabook and battery lasts 6h+ or 2 hours under heavy load. (And that's just CPU and iGPU + screen.)

But I recently put lubuntu on ancient tegra250 netbook. I have no idea how battery in that can last as I had no patience to check. If I did rebuild its battery, it could likely last whole day.
    But it is "Just because I can." device now.