Rockstar Games Grand Theft Auto V for PC on January 27th 2015

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This is exactly what im thinking.

2. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I don't think it's to polish off the PC version, I think think that they just want people to buy it on consoles and then on PC later if they have one. If they release it at the same time people who have have a console and PC will likely only buy it on one platform.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    So what you're all saying is that they're going to release the console versions, and finish the pc version at the same time, then sit on their hands for 2 months rather than continue to do any sort of testing, optimisation or patching?

Uh huh.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah me too, 1-2 more months up or down no big deal.. At least we will have better experience from start.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Please show proof. Why? Because i know you can't.

So you don't want it delayed because you feel it won't do anything in the end (which is impossible to prove just so you know) but also don't want them to take extra time to iron some out?

Lol dude where do you people come up with this stuff?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It's a common practice to maximise profits, if you release it on consoles first console players will buy it and PC players who also own a console might by it as well.

Then you release it on PC a few months later so PC players and people who have already bought it for consoles can buy it again for PC.

Rockstar could be really delaying it to optimise it for PC but I doubt it. Devs always say they are delaying PC games to optimise them but they usually still come out buggy and with performance issues.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's true alot of people double dip, but the numbers are pretty insignificant especially for a game this huge.
    It's also a practice EA never follow, so read into the that what you may.

Even if a PC game has the exact same dev resources as the consoles (which is rare) the PC version will still be alot more difficult to develop for, fixed hardware makes things so much easier.

It might be less than perfect in January, but it will definitely be better than it would of been in November and surely that is better than taking people's money earlier?

8. expo

expo Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    I don't mind the wait, if the port is good. And looking back on Rockstar's history that will be ... ech ... we'll see ;)

The only reason PC owners with descent enough hardware, or gamers who wanted to upgrade to the new gen consoles anyway already own a copy is to get in the hype. Sure I missed that, but I'm also an adult ...

9. Drexir

Drexir Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    I have to say it's brilliant business wise. Nobody asked for a Xbox One or PS4 port. It was really just PC gamers wanting a port. I don't even think the new consoles were released when this game was released much less announced. We had petitions growing in the 100s of thousands for a PC port. Not a peep for the new consoles.

A lot of PC players didn't stick with the master race mentality and got it on the console. Most of the hardcore console gamers have probably already bought the new consoles and strangely a lot of PC gamers. They will probably repurchase it for the new consoles therefore make another round of money. However delaying the PC version. More of the PC gamers who bought the new consoles will just buy this instead of or impatiently buy. So a potential to make 3x the amount from those PC gamers.

If you buy the whole needs more time to port to PC. Well that's stupid to think developers are gonna be optimizing the PC port during the holidays. Also you have to face the fact that people will use their vacation time to extend the holiday period into the first week of January. Not to mention after that time you need to re-calibrate the noggin for work. So maybe a couple of weeks actually spent on it. That time isn't going to be spent optimizing the PC port. It's gonna be used to tie up any loose ends. In fact if they really arn't done with the PC port you do not want that monster to be released in January. Talk about potentially screwing up things even more. If anything if it's really not finished for the PC a March date sounds more reasonable.

Side Note: What's with the pre-order and get in-game cash? Do you want your cheat codes enabled by default? Fine. Things get sloppy whenever you start talking about multiplayer. However I have no idea how the GTA Online thing works so it may be nothing.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I can guarantee you that no company does this. The profits from this would be so negligible in the whole of the game there would be no point to it. I'm not saying people don't buy it twice, but the people who do buy it twice are likely people who buy it once for $60 on console at release (as those are the ones who are likely not to wait) and then wait for a summer/winter sale on steam later for under $10

....Companies don't just shut down for two months, Rockstar North has 360 employees, you really think that in two months they can't get anything done just because of the holidays? of which, most people take one day, and at max 1 week off? (very unlikely more then 1 week would EVER be allowed, heck where my wife and i work, December and first half of January are black out zones, no requests for days off)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    1. Batman, Watch Dogs, AssCreeds and many more.

2. Batman, Watch Dogs, AssCreeds and many more.

3. Batman, Watch Dogs, AssCreeds and many more.

Look, if you want to be a blind sheep and believe the same crap that gets spit out by Publishers and developers all the time and then come release day its proven to have made no difference, then thats your business.

The rest of us will just use our brains and not pre-order and wait for proof that the delay did make a difference (if that is actually what the delay is for).

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Rumour, Late Feb, Early March.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35758-pc-version-of-gta-5-requires-more-time

13. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    The PC always plays 2nd fiddle when it comes to consoles and as done for a long time. The release dates are as they are to make the most money out of the franchise, simple. To be honest I'm surprised PC is getting it at all, had to look with bemusement at some of the posts in this thread. :3eyes:

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So much for January... this is getting more and more ridiculous with every new "confirmed" date.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It's like that site hasn't read the article rockstar published stating Jan 27th.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ft-auto-v-release-dates-and-exclusive-content

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I wouldn't even take the 27th of January from Rockstar as confirmation, as they confirmed the fall of 2014 for months. :p

No way i would take them saying 27th January as gospel after that, wouldn't be surprised, once we get closer to January, they then come out and say, its Feb/March, or whatever their new date is going to be, their confirming dates is totally meaningless now.

Its out when its out.

17. gavros777

gavros777 Member

GPU:
    560 gtx
    I would replace "blind sheep" with "company employee". They're lurking all over all famous online forums to defend their greedy owners and their products.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So..you're pulling stuff out of nowhere? awesome.

And please, please explain how come release day its proven to have made no difference? Did you witness the game on release for consoles on PC? and then compared the game at console release on PC to the actual release of PC? No? Why? Because you can't, obviously, as the PC wasn't released on console release. So what you're telling me is you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and simply coming up with stuff because you feel like it. Cool.

If i were a game developer i wouldn't be frequenting forums. I also wouldn't be making around 20K a year....or if i were, i'd seriously be wondering why i became a game developer.

What is with this entire forum lately? Filled with speculations and BS it's not even funny, furthermore it's speculations based off of absolutely nothing. I keep asking for proof, asking people why they would think that when there's nothing to state it as so, and i get nothing but replies that continue to show no basis.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    You would be, terrible wages is pretty standard for game programmers from when I was looking.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, those games are proof of nothing when every PC game is full of bugs and performance issues, maybe even more so with PC exclusive games.

Anyone with half a brain knows PC games are alot more difficult to develop for, yet bring in less money.
    Why would, or even should the game or any game release at the same time?

I want PC gaming to do as well as possible, but it has to be on it's own merits and not just some fake "fairness"