Rocket Lake at 5.5 GHz could be Intels answer against the Ryzen 9 5950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2020.

1. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    What I don't get is why they're doing this in the first place. Is the "gaming king" crown that important from a marketing standpoint? Rocket Lake still isn't going to outpace Ryzen 3 in productivity and multi-threading, and the lesser chips in that line will at best get close to AMD's weaker offerings - so what's the point. Why not just focus on Adler Lake and overtake AMD then. Unless they literally have nothing to counter with, which is just something I find hard to believe.

Lily GFX likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Not sure what intel did with people, but they hired anyone and everyone they could.
    Maybe they are in cold storage for later use.

Valken and Lily GFX like this.
  3. KonoSuba

KonoSuba New Member

GPU:
    VEGA 8
    What TDP??? 500W?

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R5
    Fair fair. Wonder if stressing their reach by operating frequency will have effects on product integrity more so along the lines of my "oh no" reaction...

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Barely anyone buys this class of cpu for productivity - you have the big sockets for that.

The small sockets are primarily focused on gaming, at least on intels part, and kinda obvious why, as the gaming market is by far the biggest.

8 super fast cores is what you want for gaming, and that is what intel is doing with rocket lake.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    There was quite an exodus of the top talent there recently. Well some of them anyway.

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    And a 1200W PSU probably ...

8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Pentium 4 lost the war in term of price/performance but not market share from what i can remember. I remember many people paying more for Pentium 4 with lower/equal performance than cheaper Athlon processor. Yes it sounds dumb specially since P4 was not a particularly good architecture but that's what lot of people were doing back then.

And it's still the case today. I know someone who built a 10700k system around a month ago and when i told him he should wait to see what AMD would do (he had already a good enough computer to wait) his answer was that he would never buy AMD no matter what. Many many many people still stick to Intel/nVidia no matter what happens unless AMD has like a 100% performance lead which is impossible.

HandR and carnivore like this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Sadly it is.

100% agree.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    angelgraves13 likes this.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Sorry but that is just one pointless rambling in that article, he keeps going over and over again about 14nm and 8core downgrade.

If that makes it a sucky product so be it lol :D

12. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    yep i just forgot its name.
    Well its finally ready for mass usage, intel had to do it to push clocks for everyone and to have something for the hardcore to play with.

And here it was tweaked to work on AMD:

Valken likes this.
  13. beedoo

beedoo Active Member

GPU:
    2080 OC | 2x1070 OC
    Fair enough; we can add you to the ever growing list of numpties that contribute to this site.

99.5 is greater than 99, therefore 99 is crap...

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    First of all, it's quite ironic with your first remark, as you are quite clearly the new user here.

Secondly, you are putting words into my mouth, but i am obviously going to buy the best product available for my use case, which is gaming. So if the 11900k is 15% faster at gaming than the 5950x, then i will obviously buy the 11900k. That doesn't mean the 5950x is bad, but it aint the best product for my use case, so why would i buy it.

15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    But why are you willing to wait 5-6 months for the 11900k but not 8-9 months for Ryzen 6000? Also i think you and also Intel underestimate how the market has changed. Home computer used to be about mostly only games. But today you have indie gaming development which was not a reality 20 years ago. You have content creators on Youtube which was not a reality 20 years ago. You have open source and mobile development which are both accessible to normal people which was not a reality 20 years ago.

Back in the days the only way to sell your software was in a store or on your own website handling the payment with your bank or paypal and this was almost impossible to gain any traction over big tech companies this way. Now you have platforms like Steam, Epic, Gog, Windows Store, Apple Store, Google Play Store, Crowd Funding, Patreon, etc ... making it possible and significantly more accessible. One of the best selling game of the last 10 years is Minecraft an indie game made at home.

Some people care about games only and that's fine. But i hate how most of them are stuck in 2001 thinking near 100% of the market think only about games like them. Personally i work at home and i can't afford to have a gaming machine only. I've been on Ryzen since day one cause well they are good enough for gaming and are significantly better for everything else. And i'll keep being on Ryzen until Intel retake the productivity crown which clearly wont be in 2021. And if you think i'm alone you are greatly mistaken. The biggest obstacle for AMD right now is not performance but their reputation.

Agonist likes this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I have already stated the reasons - l2read.

And how exactly does indie games change anything? Wierd argument. And yes, the vast majority only use their gaming computers for gaming and browsing. If you are a content creator, buy a cpu that is aimed at that, rather than one aimed at gamers. Pretty freaking simple, eh?

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    You assume home cpus are just for gaming because that's what you do. They are not anymore lot of people use them for productivity (while not requiring HEDT). But whatever keep living in your own bubble.

Agonist likes this.
  18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    It's a very minor % of home pc's that is used for productivity, aside of basic office use etc.

But i really dont see how it is relevant to any of what i said. I honestly dont give a rats arse why you do or dont buy a given cpu. I have stated why im getting a 11900k, and that's the end of it.

19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    We haven't the same remembering then: i were working in a computer store at that time, the manager pass command of a lot of intel... we sell less than 25% of them (and on sale price), everyone from student to IT was only wanting AMD only one month after release... the situation last many year.
    Not that Intel were bad (i had a 955XE at this time) but AMD were better and cost (lot) less.

20. beedoo

beedoo Active Member

GPU:
    2080 OC | 2x1070 OC
    I'll let you think about this one for a moment; I'm over 50 years old, and have been a computer enthusiast since my VIC20 a very, very long time ago. I was using the internet before AOL started slapping CDs on the cover of every magazine.

You would be in error to think I've only just started coming here.

HandR and Fox2232 like this.