RMA'd my mobo + CPU, and computer still freezes

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Merton, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    If it is a PSU issue, what is the problem most likely (aka, why is it freezing)?

I just don't get why sometimes prime95 runs for 5min and freezes, and other times it runs for 30min before freezing. (the longest it ever ran was 1h7m)

2. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Protocol, what voltages and temperatures are most important?

I am asking because when my rig freezes, I won't be able to take a screenshot. I will have to write them down.

EDIT: I will take a screenshot before the test, but I will see if anything changes when it freezes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Straight after it freezes go into the bios and make a note of the all the temps, or just use a phone to take a pic, it's all in that post.

4. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Will do.

I will try to do this before I head out to dinner, if not I will report back tonight.

5. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    So before I was going to run the temp test I tried something:

I went into BIOS (1305) and set NB to 1.5v.

When my computer was posting, there was an error at the end. All it gave was some generic interrupt error.

So I went back into BIOS, and set NB back to "auto", and my computer did not post when I reset. I had to hold the power button to turn it off, then when I turned it back one, it posted. My computer showed the Vista loading bar, but when that screen went away, Vista never loaded and there was just a black screen.

Now I am reinstalling Vista.

Why do I get a post error when I set my NB to 1.5v? When it was set to "auto" the voltage in BIOS was 1.36v. Why would setting it higher cause an error?

Also, I set NB back to auto, and then tried to raise CPU Core voltage to 1.2v. This also caused a post error.

Could this mean the PSU is at fault? (I don't have time to swap PSU's tonight, I am exhausted).

I am getting extremely frustrated. And I am running out of ideas.

Also, NB idle temp in BIOS is 43C. From what I have been reading on the asus forums, I am extremely lucky. Some people have idle temps in the 60's.

6. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I am sensing a possible PSU error:

Reason 1: I can't set NB or Vcore above the "auto" setting. (not sure why it will let me set memory voltage though)

Reason 2: System freezes under stress (prime95).

Maybe inconsistent voltage?

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    After installing the new bios (1305) you need to hold the bios clean switch at the back of pc for few seconds, reboot and when you enter the bios you need to choose the reset to bios defaults option, then save and exit. Once you have done all this only then you can go back and make changes in the bios without causing instability.

The nb temperature seems quite strange because many people including myself were idling at 80c before cleaning and remounting heatsinks, I now idle around 60c and in fact most people idle around 60c, I have hardly heard of anyone idling at 40c and absolutely no one at or below 50c without remounting the heatsinks. I suppose you never know and you must be one of the very fortunate few, in anycase try to double check that if you can.

8. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I reinstalled vista, and went back down to 1303 bios.

I did one thing different. With the CD that came with the mobo, I installed Nvidia MediaShield, which apparently has optimized SATA drivers (figured I would give it a shot).

I am currently running prime95 (17min into blend test). When it freezes I will immediately reboot into BIOS and get the temps.

9. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    You know what, looking at the MediaShield specs, I really hope that wasn't causing the problem.

I see that MediaShield replaces the windows SATA drivers. One of the 4 bullets on the Nvidia site is that it supports 3gb/s SATA.

I am not sure if the default windows sata drives support 3gb/s sata?

We will find out shortly, prime is still running (23min)

10. frisell

frisell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 280GTX OC 1G
    could it be the nvidia 7xx series bug that was causing freezes/lock-ups for some people (myself included when i had the eVGA 750i ftw) which has now been fixed with a new bios from your respective board manufacturer?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008

11. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Okay, so prime95 ran for 55minutes before freezing.

Here were the temps in BIOS:
    CPU: 27C
    M/B: 32C
    NB: 68C
    SB: 54C

All those temps look great. Granted 68C is high, but NB threshold is set to 90C (I hear many people have load temps in the high 70's).

I will have to take my old PSU out of my old rig and see if that fixes anything.

I am going to run memtest AGAIN overnight.

Booting into DOS, will report back tomorrow.

12. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    i woudl agree on that, maybe check if tehrs soem new bios for it, i just read about it today on theinq, so it might help.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Update:

I ran memtest (dos version), overnight, and before I left for work, it was running for 6h35min with 0 errors.

This shows two things:
    1.) My RAM is most likely fine
    2.) My computer can run DOS for more than 1hour, opposed to Vista.

Also, in both BIOS 1303 and 1305, I cannot set the NB to 1.5 volts.

Here is what I did:
    1.) Loaded 1305.
    2.) Computer did not restart
    3.) Unplugged for 30 sec
    4.) Plugged back in and hit CMOS Reset on back
    5.) Loaded BIOS, saved settings and exited.
    6.) Went back into BIOS, checked all settings (turned off virtualization, C1E, etc).
    7.) Set Memory Voltage to 2.16
    8.) Rebooted
    9.) Got into windows.

Then:
    1.) Went into BIOS
    2.) Set NB voltage to 1.5v
    3.) selected save and exit
    4.) Computer restarted, but I never got the republic of games logo and it never posted
    5.) had to hold down power
    6.) when I rebooted, it posted and then showed the windows vista loading bar.
    7.) After loading bar, screen remained black, Vista never loaded.

Then:
    1.) Went into BIOS
    2.) Set NB voltage back to "auto"
    3.) posted and loaded Vista fine

Then:
    1.) Reflashed to 1303
    2.) Repeated everything I just listed with SAME results

I would also like to note, when I set NB voltage to 1.5 and got it to post, I went into BIOS and went to voltage monitor, and the NB voltage was indeed 1.5v.

I also tried the exact same steps with CPU voltage, and when I set it to 1.2v, same thing happens.

Note: "Auto" values are:
    NB: 1.36v
    CPU Voltage: 1.1x (don't remember exact)

14. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    You mean "opposed to Prime95 [under Vista]", otherwise Vista runs fine, right?

15. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I wouldn't worry about that, I never get my country's flag either.

16. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I will be swapping the PSU today after work, but just out of curiosity, what would be the reason the PSU would have issues while running prime95 in Vista, but it can run memtest in dos for over 6 hours?

My educated guess is that prime95+vista would require more power than running memtest in dos. But is the overall problem that one of the voltage lines drops too low or is not consistant? How common is this?

I am just curious. I have heard of PSU's dieing, or people having issues when their PSU is not powerful enough, but I have never heard of this problem.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    @merton: not being able to change bios values sounds like a bad flash/ corrupt bios or you have some sort of psu problems, also try changing the nb/ cpu voltage values again, one at a time but make sure 'load line calibration' is enabled and you don't use any sort of presaved bios profile.

The psu would be under alot higher load in vista.

Edit: Also we still don't know what your 12v rail looks like with your current psu though if you use the psu from your uncles pc than this shouldn't matter.

18. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I used AWDFLASH, and there were no errors while flashing. I will flash it again just to make sure.

Also, I don't know if I had "load line calibration" enabled afer flashing and restoring defaults. (I am at work now, otherwise I would check).

Also, I didn't get a chance to run the tests you asked for last night, protocol. I was at a dinner party from 5-11 last night and when I got back I was exhausted.

Will run them tonight.

Also, when I flash to 1305, after I pull the plug from my system, and then plug it back in and reboot, so I just have to press the reset cmos on the back of the computer, or do I have to hold it for x amount of time? Last time I just pressed it.

EDIT: I know for a fact load line calibration was DISABLED. Could that have been causing problems? (I thought on my uncle's rig it was also set to disabled and it ran fine with all auto settings)

EDIT #2: Does anyone know if load line calibration is enabled or disabled for the default setting? Now that I think about it, I don't think I touched that setting on my uncle's rig, so if it was enabled by default, that could be why his runs stable and mine does not. I am pretty sure I set mine to disabled by mistake.

19. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I told my boss about my problem, and he told me to borrow a hard drive just to check.

So now I have PSU + HD to check. If it freezes after I replace both of those, I will cry.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    2. For deafault settings it's disabled, but the reason i say that is because it helps stabalise the voltages and reduces vdroop etc.

Also after installing the 1305 bios you'll need to just press the cmos reset button for a couple of seconds and then enter and choose restore defaults, save and exit.