Rivet Networks releases Killer E3100 2.5 Gbps gaming Ethernet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes it does.

I view them from the fact their software still causes bsods when downloading from windows store, steam, torrents.

2. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    All depends on your requirements tbh:

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Someone said that 2.5G cards are too expensive 35 to 50EURO, my original post was a replay to that guy, I found him cards for 21USD
    At least look at what you are replaying to.
    Also, what do you mean little sense? Its called future-proofing and slowly building your network, right now there is no reason to buy 1G add-on cards at all, if you buying an add-on card, get at least 2.5G they cheap, and in future when 2.5G switches become mainstream you'll have yourself a fast network.

No it doesn't, it only does if you have to pay for them, but you get both of them on board and need to choose which one to use, hence the benchmark is more then valid, its lets you make a choice, which of the NICs to use.

Serve The Home routinely tests these Cheapo cards and they all perform properly, you get over 250MB/s, IMO AMAZING for 20$ NICs
    If you have HDD based Systems at home, then with such NIC you'll be copying files from PC to PC at Full speed of your HDD.

Some reviews:
    1] [PCIe] https://www.servethehome.com/trendnet-2-5gbase-t-pcie-adapter-review-teg-25gectx/
    2] [USB3.0] https://www.servethehome.com/cablecreation-usb-3-type-a-2-5gbe-adapter-review/
    3] [PCIe] https://www.servethehome.com/syba-2-5-gigabit-ethernet-pcie-nic-review-2-5gbe/
    4] [DualPort PCIe] https://www.servethehome.com/syba-dual-2-5-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-review/

Maybe learn how to run a PC without BSODs and Crashes.
    P.S. Bark on your husband, Miss.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Alright, we're done going back and forth. Having a normal argument is fine, but jabs at each other is not.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Microseconds dog, not ms! Check your article again.
    Gaming Pings are usually in order of tens of ms, this is advantage of 1/25ms and 1/8ms respectively. So in terms of fps/latency/server-hit-detection you're gaining NOTHING, while CPU load is increased up to 2x times. That doesn't seem very HARDVER-y, does it?

As already mentioned If you have decent router, you can have your traffic prioritized, but without all this KILLER software bloat and with more fine grained control. Also more than likely you'll get Lower CPU cycles because traffic prioritization is done on router.
    Additionally, if thats too much hassle, on many consumer routers you can just switch on Smart QOS.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not really sure what point exactly you're trying to make here.....

As long as internet speeds are stuck at 1Gbps and below, 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps wired products don't really make sense. It's a niche market. There's no benefit to the average user. The average user isn't transferring gigabytes of data from 1 computer to another, on their own network. The average user isn't running a home media server. The average user is checking their e-mail, reading the news, typing papers for school, etc. There's no benefit to a 2.5Gbps network, with a 100Mbps connection for them. For the average user, Wireless-AC actually makes more sense..... Much more budget friendly. You can setup a Mesh network for as little as $150....or go "all out" and spend $700+..... You'll spend more than that just on a router/switch for 2.5Gbps....

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    makes sense if you have a nas set up using raid and want that 200+MB/s access.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The average user isn't running a nas.....

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    more and more consumers are getting smart wired homes with centralised media servers.

10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    A win is a win thats it, it wins in every test except CPU load.
    Also it wins in small file copy by 2 Seconds.

The thing with a router, you are right of course BUT, these NICs come for free on the motherboard, Routers with user friendly QOS are expensive like say ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 and the likes.
    Most people use the routers they get from their ISP and these usually meh.

Technology doesn't stay in one place, Killer had bunch of new NICs since 2015 [E2400 (tested), E2500, E2600, E3000 and E3100] and software updates, so im sure they made positive changes in the last 5 years, and most Intel Boards even high end like Z390 Master still use the same old Intel NIC from the comparison.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't know what the cost differences between Killer NICs and Intel NICs or other company NICs are, but i'd wager that KILLER NICs cost more, since they are used less often in motherboards. So no, it's not "free", the price of the motherboards that have them have factored in the cost for the NIC.

You could say "Well this motherboard without a Killer NIC is $200 and this motherboard with a Killer NIC is $200, so same cost!"

But...problem with this whole idea is: Unless the motherboards are identical, one with, and without the Killer NIC, then it's not comparable. And i mean exactly identical, not just same chipset and relatively same features, as the costs of materials could still be different.

Don't mistake this as me saying a Killer NIC on a motherboard is more economical compared to an expensive QOS router, as sure, you're probably not wrong, though the more expensive router is overall going to be a better buy if you have multiple computers, game consoles, phones, and etc. that could benefit from it.

I'd kinda like information on this as people don't generally look at their built-in NIC card and model number.

I mean just looking at Intels webpage, there's 28 different, current, Intel motherboard NICs in the 1-2.5Gbps category.

Even if it is true, i'm not sure what that necessarily means negatively wise. NICs don't need to be constantly re-invented, and if a company keeps releasing a "new" product with a new name with the same general performance and etc. That's not a good thing. How many times do people get upset when nvidia and AMD do that with their graphics cards? It's not a good thing.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    most intel chipsets have a PORT for a intel hardware phy to be implemented on the motherboard without consuming PCIE lanes too.

13. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb

Killer nic is free, because most people chose a board based on otehr features like VRM, VRM cooling, SATA Ports, M.2 Ports, High Speed USB ports and if their board has a killer NIC then whatever, if not then not.
    My last mainstream board was Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 [was later renamed to Master series] and it happened to have both Killer E2500 and Intel I219-V
    Then I had Z390 Master that i never opened and eventually sold, It had single NIC, Intel from 2015 the I219-V
    Then I got Zenith II and its has newer with more features Intel I211-AT and 10g aquantia

So whatever comes with the board ill be using, now im building my home network, unRAID and my new PC around Aquantia NIC's because my new board had one

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most are using wifi.....because they don't want to string wires through their homes or pay the insane cost of having network cables run in walls and crawl spaces. Hell, I switched to an HDHomerun, a Plex Server and MiBox3's a few years ago for that same reason. I wanted cableTV in multiple rooms, but didn't want to have to run cables (not to mention the extra cost of cable boxes, etc).... Wifi is easier to expand and much more cost effective. It's also been much more widely adopted by home users.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I've not had a BSOD or crash that wasn't induced by myself for testing in many years, little man. Grow up and learn to lose an argument more gracefully.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you have nothing nice to say, can you please just not say it? :confused: