1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RivaTuner wont open

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by fatplatypus, Jul 16, 2019.

1. fatplatypus

fatplatypus New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700 xt
    I just built my first computer with a radeon 5700 xt and downloaded msi afterburner and rivatuner to monitor my fps. Msi afterburner works fine but rivatuner doesn't minimize after installing it and when I try to open it manually it asks if it can make changes to my computer, I hit yes, and nothing happens. I've tried running the program as administrator as well but the exact same thing happens. Any help would be appreciated in fixing this!

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    IIRC, you have to be the admin. No running as one.

3. fatplatypus

fatplatypus New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700 xt
    I changed my settings and set myself as administrator, however the exact same problem still occurs sadly

4. Lewis Williams

Lewis Williams New Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I'm having the same problem after replacing my RX580 with a 5700XT. I've been looking all last night and this morning for someone else with the same issue and you are the first I've seen with the exact same problem on any system, so it is likely a driver issue.

5. fatplatypus

fatplatypus New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700 xt
    glad I’m not the only one I hope it just lacks support for the 5700 xt currently and not something more but I’ve even tried hard resetting my computer and wiping everything which still didn’t fix the problem. (Brand new computer and also my first one so wiping didn’t get rid of much)

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    install RTSS 7.2.2 or newer.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It doesn’t depend on driver at all.

8. Lewis Williams

GPU:
    5700XT
    I am running Riva Tuner 7.2.2 (currently the latest_, latest Radeon Settings, Latest afterburner. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, tried older versions of all, formatted hard drive and installed a fresh Windows 10 (all of these things more than once).

Rivatuner still won't load. No error message, no crash. It shows up as an active process in task manager.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use Resource Monitor or task manager to view the process wait chain.

10. fatplatypus

fatplatypus New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700 xt
    Ya after seeing that I’m not the only one with this exact problem I think it’s safe to assume that it is simply not supported yet for Radeon I’m not sure what to look out for in order to find out when it does become supported though

11. Lewis Williams

GPU:
    5700XT
    It's there...
    [​IMG]

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can't view that picture on this network.

RTSS has absolutely no dependance on the gpu itself, if somethings broken its within your own pc's as Unwinder has pointed out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. Lewis Williams

GPU:
    5700XT
    If I turn my computer off, put my RX580 back in and boot up, RivaTuner works normally. Replate 5700 XT, and Rivatuner hangs. That certainly seems GPU dependent to me.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    and yet

The developer would know best.

If a bug exists, its in AMD's software package, not the driver.

I asked you to the Analyse the wait chain, not find out if its in the task manager.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  15. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

DirectDraw/Direct3D8/Direct3D9 implementation is currently totally broken in AMD 19.7.1/2 drivers on NAVI cards on some setups, causing applications using such old DirectX interfaces to crash and refuse to run. RTSS won't be exception and it will also crash if you perform clean install of it during attempt to initialize and precache hooking offsets for DirectDraw/Direct3D8/Direct3D9 apps on the first application startup. You may prevent it from initializing DD/D3D8 and D3D9 hooking subsystem via editing .\ProfileTemplates\Config file and replacing

[FnOffsetCache]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 0000003F
    [FnOffsetCache64]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 0000003F

with

[FnOffsetCache]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 00000038
    [FnOffsetCache64]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 00000038

But don't forget to return it back in future when AMD fix that issue (with no doubts) in future drivers, otherwise RTSS hooking won't work in D3D8/D3D9 at all.

Edit:

Problem with malfunctioning D3D9 and older Direct3D implementations on NAVI seem to exist only when you let Radeon settings to handle driver update and installation. Manual driver cleanup, download and installation fix the issue.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    spajdrik and cowie like this.