RivaTuner v2.07

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Gabe

Gabe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 8800GT OCable 715/2ghz
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I keep reading postings like "I've just changed thermal table and it still doesn't work, where is the promised fix?" from AMD 38x0 owners in different forums. So the post #1 has been appended with special notes (marked with bold font) for 38x0 owners.

3. Unwinder

Some thoughts on simplifying transfer function explained in the post #4:

The equation

Duty_cycle = Duty_cycle_min + 6.25 * (T - T_min) * T_slope / Duty_cycle_100%

can be replaced with

Duty_cycle = Duty_cycle_min + (T - T_min) * (100 * T_slope / Duty_cycle_100%) / 16

And the equation marked with bold physically represents desired increase of duty cycle (in percents) per each 1/16C.
    E.g. in our examples in post 4 we use Duty_cycle_100% = 135 and T_slope = 22, so our marked equation transfroms into 100 * 22 / 135 = 16% per each 1/16C. That gives us 1% per 1C duty cycle adjustment. Anyone find such representation easier for understanding?

4. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Can custom profiles (overclocking/fan speed etc) be transfered from 2.06 to 2.07 or do the profiles have to be made again from scratch?

Can Rivatuner 2.07 be renamed to 2.06 so it installs on top of existing 2.06 (so that existing profiles in 2.06 can remain intact) without anything getting screwed up?

Right now I have both versions installed (since both versions install in different folders). Profiles work in 2.06 but not 2.07 (even though 2.07 shows the profiles but when clicking on it, says profile does not exist or is corrupted).

Since I now have two versions installed, I see that Add/Remove (XP) only lists 2.07 and not 2.06. So to un-install 2.06, do I just delete the folder or use the un-install in the 2.06 folder?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008

5. Unwinder

Mike89

You've to recreate the profiles. From the release notes:

- Now all low-level profiles are linked with target display device by physical display adapter location identifier instead of logical display adapter name. Due to this change all previously created low-level profiles will be invisible to new version and you will need to recreate them.

6. Unwinder

I know that it sounds insane, but it seems like there are way more bugs in fan controller calibration in some AMD VGA BIOS’es than I could imagine. I’ve just found that besides screwed automatic fan speed calibration parameters, which can be now edited and fixed by 2.07, AMD BIOS guys also managed to screw fan controller’s acoustic management system calibration in certain VGA BIOS images. Acoustic management system is dedicated to get rid of unwanted fan speed fluctuations caused by temperature fluctuations. Also it serves for making fan speed change soft and less annoying for hearing (rapid stepwise fan speed change usually annoys hearing much more than soft one). There are two acoustic management related settings involved:

PWM hysteresis – defines hysteresis for resulting duty cycle generated by the fan controller. Hysteresis effect is used to get rid of unwanted duty cycle fluctuations and all duty cycle changes within [Duty_cycle-PWM_hysteresis; Duty_cycle+PWM_hysteresis] range are treated by controller as unwanted noise and ignored. In other words, if PWM hysteresis is equal to 10% and duty cycle is currently set to 50%, fan speed won’t be able to change anything within [50-10=40%; 50+10=60%].
    PWM ramp – defines ramp for duty cycle changes. When ramp is defined and duty cycle needs to be changed (either by temperature lookup table or by transfer function), the controller increases current duty cycle by ramp value instead of directly setting new value. In other words, if duty cycle is currently set to 50%, ramp is enabled and set to 2% and duty cycle have to be changed to 60% (e.g. according to transfer function) then the controller is starting to increase duty cycle by ramp value (i.e. set 52%, then 54% etc until desired duty cycle is reached).

Now we’ve came to new problems in AMD BIOS:

1) Due to some odd reason AMD set PWM hysteresis to insanely high values (up to 25%) in some BIOS images. It means that the transfer function must change duty cycle by 25% or more to get new duty cycle applied. Furthermore, smart AMD controller developer decided to apply PWM hysteresis at hardware level to fixed (!) fan speed mode too. It means that those who have such high PWM hysteresis in BIOS won’t be able to adjust fan speed in steps less than 25% even in fixed mode. “Bravo” AMD.
    2) Furthermore, AMD combined abnormally high PWM hysteresis value with abnormally low PWM ramp value (e.g. hysteresis = 25%, ramp = 1%). That is just plain stupid. It means that even if duty cycle is allowed to change (i.e. when delta between current and desired duty cycles is more than 25%), the controller is allowed to change duty cycle just by 1%.

Both of these parameters will be also added to the list of editable fan controller parameters RT in v2.08. I’ll also forcibly reset PWM hysteresis in fixed fan speed adjustment mode to provide soft fan speed adjustment possibility to those who is affected by incorrectly programmed PWM hysteresis.
    In meanwhile, if you're affected by such BIOS, you can use RivaTuner's command line interface to access PWM controller directly and reset incorrectly programmed PWM hysteresis:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2625760&postcount=8

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  7. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

What easter eggs?

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    hi
    i was wondering, i noticed some stutters in games with PB enabled, and was does this PB option protect, well lol i know its a memory part from rt, but could there be any side effects if i don't enable it, i've used it since v.2.05, but i'm not sure if this is the cause for stutters in FEAR Combat, during heavy combat scene...
    edit: i've tested without oc the gpu and looks like only a rare stutter here and there but its allot better, looks like when i have pb protection enabled it get cpu lag or something like that ?!...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  9. Cairo

Cairo Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD4870 @800/1050
    Amazing, u r doing a great job here in guru3d
    Thank u guys

10. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    A comment about the Scheduler (setting automatic changing of fan speeds at different temps).

I have Rivatuner 2.07 set up with a profile to set a certain overclock and certain fan speed to a hotkey (and another one set back to stock with a different hot key). When I want to use this setting for a game, I just hit the hotkey which kicks up the vid card speed and fan speed, play the game, and when exiting the game, hit another hot key to get everything back to stock.

Setting the Scheduler to automatic fan speeds at different temps interferes with this. If I hit that hotkey, the fan speed will only stay at that speed until the temp reaches whatever temp cutoff was set in the Scheduler (then the fan speed will switch to whatever temp/speed was set in the Scheduler).

Is there a way around that? Perhaps when doing this via the hotkey (manually), it could override the Scheduler until it was changed back to stock?

11. Unwinder

Forget about it. You're doing ambigious settings, it is up to you to avoid programming the techniques which are supposed to cause interference for sure.

12. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    OK. I just thought it would be good if the settings in the Scheduler could be temporarily disabled without having to delete the items (and having to re-create them again) in case someone wanted to do something manually without the items in the Scheduler changing it.

13. Unwinder

Pausing scheduler sounds like a good idea and something to be planned for future versions.

14. ElfjeTwaalfje

ElfjeTwaalfje Guest

GPU:
    HD4850toxic & HD3850 512M
    UW, tnx for 2.07. Gives something to fiddle with.

I found that T_slope for me is (Tmax-Tmin)/(DCmax-DCmin)*Duty100%/6.25
    where Tmax for me is 100 deg and DC max is 100%. Putting your settings in gives slope 22 (21.6).

This way I could change Tmin and DCmin to my liking and get 40% below 50 degrees.

My settings are (sapphire 3850 512Mb):
    Dcmin 20 (def 0)
    Dcmax 100
    Tmin 30 (def 80)
    Tmax 100 (106)
    T_slope 25 (def 67)
    Duty100 135 (def 135)
    Thyst 4 (def 4)

15. 790

790 Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 8Gb
    btw, I have 7 thresholds only in one Core Temp graph and some others - Possibility of GROUP and individual pausing scheduler will be better ;)

16. blow

blow Member

Unwinder the first post is for 8800 owner too?
    edit:in other words, if i have a G80, what is the function that governate my dutycycle?

I know how set it by this guide, but what is the real function?
    I mean: dutycycle%= ...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  17. Unwinder