RivaTuner v2.05 development and alpha-testing

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Yep, other testers suggested it too. However, I don't think that we should force any automation by default. IHMO if new NVIDIA drivers are designed to adjust only ROP by default and if the rest tools overclock only ROP with 163.67+ then RT should do the same.

2. RedDracoNL

RedDracoNL Member

GPU:
    GV-N970G1 1600/7500
    The Slider seems to work perfectly.
    But some thing I noticed is that every time i open or close the Overclock Tab I keep getting the following message

Warning!
    Startup settings you've made may prevent drivers from restoring desired memory clock after reboot.

Pressing yes or no doesn’t matter. I’m using WindowsXP Pro and Driver 163.67.

3. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    Working fine here on Vista x64. Tried it with a ratio of -1 and it automatically adjusts the shader clock with the core clock and then tried using manual registery shader clocks and it stops you using the shader slider just how you wanted.

Havent had the warning message like reddraconl but im using vista and not XP.

4. Unwinder

Thanks, sam3000 already reported the same. I'll be able to check it in the everning (right now I'm @ other PC with no 8800 installed).

5. RedDracoNL

RedDracoNL Member

GPU:
    GV-N970G1 1600/7500
    When I Change the Ratio manually to 2.0 In the power user tab the Warning message doesn’t show but now the slider disappears.

6. Unwinder

Did quick code analysis and it looks like the problem is nailed down. Memory clock reset protection wizard which is displaying this warning message should fix memory clock reset threat (which takes place when you define different startup memory clock for different performance levels) automatically by applying the same startup memory clock for all performance levels.

However, I've completely forgot to add shader clock support to the wizard, so it never succeeds programming all startup parameters.

7. RedDracoNL

RedDracoNL Member

GPU:
    GV-N970G1 1600/7500
    Tested the Same thing on Windows XP Pro 64bit with the same Driver And the Warning message doesn appear there. So the problem seems to be hanging toghter with win xp 32?

8. kirk121

kirk121 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS
    I just want to say thanks for the continued support, and damn you just released a version and already are testing another. Just make sure that you dont burn your self out by releasing so many great updates :)

9. Unwinder

It is not anyway related to OS, it depends on startup memory clock frequency. Just read my posting right above yours, it explains what causes it in details. If it is not completely clear for you - simply skip it, issue it already closed.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  10. Unwinder

Thanks.
    I'll easier burn myself by answering RTFM-related questions in the forum every day ;) Coding and developing RT is a great fun for me, but support is absolutely not ;)

11. Unwinder

Alpha 3 is ready and sent to testers. Now I’m more than satisfied with shader clock adjustment UI, most likely this one will become the final one. Changes list includes:

- Polished appearance, redesigned icons of core clock domains’ related sliders, swapped placeholders for shader / memory clock sliders.
    - Added “Link clocks” option (enabled by default) to overclocking module UI. Now ShaderClockRatio setting is equal to -1 by default (i.e. when it is not defined in the registry) but the sliders are linked (with ratio defined by ShaderClockRatio) only when “Link clocks” is ticked. So now user can easily tick this option, increase both clocks synchronically (using default or custom ratio) then untick it and continue adjusting clocks asynchronically. With such approach ShaderClockRatio is probably not needed at all.
    - Fixed problem with memory clock reset protection wizard giving a warning message and failing to eliminate memory clock reset threat in the previous alpha.

12. Unwinder

All

Please take a note that currently more than enough users joined 2.05 beta-testing. So I don't reply to each PM with 2.05 requests and now I send it to experienced forum veterans. Also, many users just requested 2.05 alpha then sent absolutely no feedback or started asking basic "how do I overclock shaders" questions in the forum. I don't send updated alpha versions to such testers, sorry. Alpha/beta testing is a hard work which requires testing and software usage experience. If you're new to RT and just want to overclock shaders ASAP - just wait for final version, requesting alpha is not the best thing to do in this case.

13. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    Alpha3 is working great. No problems at all.
    Really like the new icons and the layout, and the link clocks option is very useful for new users who done know about the registery settings.

Problem with the memory clock reset protection wizard is fixed as stated.

Excellent job done there in such a small timeframe, well done :)

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Alpha 3 working great, i would like to report some bugs, but i didnt encounter any ;-)

15. Unwinder

Yep, I've tried to redesign icons special to tell a newbie that both sliders adjust clocks of different parts of GPU. The previous appearance (a single chip displayed near core and shader clocks) could confuse SLI users.

16. Unwinder

Anybody see _any_ reason in keeping ShaderClockRatio in PowerUser settings? I suppose that it can be easily removed and ticking "Link clocks" should always use default ratio. And the rest can be acheived simply by unticking "Link clocks" and increasing domain clocks as needed.

17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Thanx Unwinder for your constant development. Looking forward to testing the new beta build.

18. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

I do think the registry entry has no use any more.
    This version looks good, feels good, performs good, should have called it Release Candidate instead of Alpha 3. :)

19. Unwinder

Yep, I'm gonna remove it completely.

It cannot be called RC on this stage. Alpha is a standard name of the build which is still in development stage and which is being modified right during testing process.
    On beta testing stage new feature development is completely frozen (to avoid introducing new bugs in tested features) and we do nothing but hunt bugs for 1-2 weeks.
    Then the build is released to public.

20. alexasusG1

alexasusG1 New Member

GPU:
    7700 go 512 Mb DDR2
    support for mobile 156.xx drivers

Hello, it's my first post so i want to congratulate Unwinder for his excellent work.

I use riva with 156.57 driver on a go7700 and it works fine so is it possible to have an official support of this driver serie? (or is it a problem with this serie?)

Thanks you

Excuse me for my poor english (i'm french)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007