RivaTuner v2.03

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

And I do beleive my eyes and my testers, installing the updates this way for months without a single issue. ;) I tried to make it fail to install the update this way on 4 home PCs and 1 work one with no luck. Seem to be something specific to your system (path name / file system?). What folder are you trying to install it to? And from which folder?

2. Unwinder

Seem to be something specific to your system (path name / file system?). What folder are you trying to install it to? And from which folder?

Well, I just probed path name related hypothesis and it seems like I've nailed the problem down.
    lowdog, Gamergod, what was the path to the folder from which you were installing RivaTuner? It looks like installer script fails to install the updates if installer/updates reside in the folder having at least one space in the path. It will be fixed in the next installer, my apologies.
    And for the current release I'll add a note about it to the very first posting.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  3. Cliff Couser

Cliff Couser Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD7750
    Thanks again Unwinder.

Works perfect on Vista 64-bit and my setup.

4. Shinanigans

Shinanigans New Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285 Black
    I was getting the errors that other people were getting too. I tried running the install program as administrator, did nothing. I then tried GamerGod's method and it worked a charm. Thanks!

1) I downloaded the installer which included the update file. This part of the installation seemed to work fine. No errors anyway.

[​IMG]

2) The installation finishes. The database build gets half way through and the driver signing message pops up. When the build has finished and you click ok, the application error comes up.

[​IMG]

3) Using Gamergod's method, i navigated to the files whilst i let the installation complete again. I should've been paying more attention or written this down, but there is a point somewhere between the installation and the application error where you are prompted to action and the program waits for you, this is the point where you need open the updated driver with the rivatuner program and you will be prompted with what seems to be the missing section of the installer mentioning Techpower up's signed drivers, and click OK.

[​IMG]

4) Voila! Thanks everyone :) Hope this helps too.

[​IMG]

5. Unwinder

The path to the folder where you install RT from contains spaces. It is already documented in the very first posting of this thread and explained in post#82:

Please take a note that currently update installation system is able to install the updates properly only if path to the installer doesn't contain spaces. So it is recommended to extract downloaded archive to C:\Temp folder and install it from this location.

6. rujirek

rujirek New Member

Windows blocks Riva Tuner 2.03

Have installed Riva Tuner 2.03 yesterday, but Vista manged to block the program! Alert message in system tray everytime I start up Windows. A bit distracting! Any possible patch soon?

7. Unwinder

I cannot patch broken search using skills of 90% of forum newbies. Use search!
    It is by design of UAC to block administrative applications at startup. If you need UAC - unblock RT each time. If you don't need - disable it. Also, there is tricky way of bypassing UAC and whole thread dedicated to it.

8. Unwinder

Guys, it looks like I've made a bug while protecting MMIO access to PLL registers of old good ATI R3xxx/R4xx graphics processors. Due to this bug it is impossible to overclock display adapters equipped with R3xx/R4xx GPU families when MMIO protection mode is enabled in RivaTuner v2.03. So if you still own R3xx/R4xx based card (e.g. Radeon 9800XT) either avoid overclocking it with the current release and use it for hardware monitoring only, or disable MMIO protection by setting ProtectMMIO to 0 (but this will allow PunkBuster to hurt your system).

Actually I'm wondering how many RivaTuner users still own ATI RADEON 9x00 / X8x0 cards and suffer from PunkBuster in BF 2142 and other games? If there are many users with such hardware needing o/c in RT and PunkBuster protections at the same time, we'll launch maintenance release soon providing PunkBuster protections and properly functioning overclocking for them. If not - it will be included in the next scheduled version 1-3 months later.

9. hackzero

hackzero Member

Hello,

I have a problem with RivaTuner 2.03. When I enable background monitoring the CPU Load constantly is at 2%. This causes some lags in games like Counter-Strike 1.6. I rolled back to 2.02 because there it is between 0-1%, mostly 0%.

so long,
    hackzero

10. Unwinder

Try to read release notes in the first posting of this thread. It must be so with 2.03.

11. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    Excellent news about the driver signing, working great now in my Vista x64

Thanks.

12. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb

Sorry unwinder, only just seen this as been at work all day. Anyway to your question. I have manually moved my documents folder to a seperate disk for reasons in case of formatting I dont lose important stuff. Possible that could be a problem?

F:\My Documents\Desktop\Guru3D.com\Setup

Installing to:

D:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.03

Once again I have my program files on a seperate disk to my windows install.

Glad to see you have pinpointed the problem :)

13. Unwinder

Nope. Problem was a space between "My" and "Documents" in the installer's path as I've expected. ;)

14. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Ok roger that, nice to be able to use rivatuner again :) I have a question though as you are here and speak to nVidia.

I have found that v-sync does not work reliably in Vista 64 ( when forcing through the CP )

Is there anything in Rivatuner that can force vsync via DX whilst bypassing the drivers? The one specific game is Pro Evolution Soccer 6, it tears like mad on my LCD and is unplayable :( I tried vsync always on in rivatuner, but no luck?

15. Unwinder

Yes, Vista vsync support in both ATI and NVIDIA drivers (and control panels, which tune drivers' settings) is terrible.
    There is nothing you can do in RT if the drivers fail to force VSync themself. But it is possible to update D3DOverrider and use it to force VSync by intercepting the application's frame presentation requests. Maybe I'll implement it one day, no promises on it right now.

16. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Ok thanks unwinder, here is hoping you update D3DOverrider in the future :) Oh and thanks for moving so quickly on getting a DX10 version out :D

17. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    Nod32--tried it and installed it with it disabled
    no firewalls
    no spyware running

If this helps I can disable protect process do what I need then enable it. I played BF2142 with no problems.
    My system is kinda tweaked I dont have to many services running. Visited Black Vipers website back in the day and recently since it came back.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  18. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 GXT
    I just upgraded to 2.03 yesterday and I remember responding to you asking if the community wanted support for the G15 keyboard. Unwinder I would like to thank you so very much for your time and effort into putting the G15 support into the program and just for the overall kick ass program.

Also it is super awesome the drivers are signed for Vista x64 as I was very concerned when I started gaming in Vista I would not have my Riva Tuner!

Again, THANKS!

19. Captn

Captn Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS(G92)512 x2 S
    AWSOME TY TY TY! This worked for me!

20. Unwinder

Hm. One user Russian techsupport forum who also cannot start RT with ProtectProcess enabled also have NOD32 installed. It looks like this antivirus doesn't lilke protected process in the system and blocks it this way. Can you check if enabling ProtectProcess works with NOD32 uninstalled (many antiviruses keep basic protection level even when disabled)?
    Or does NOD32 have something like a list of trusted applications, so RT can be excluded from checking by it?

That's good, it's look like it is enough to leave even just one protection level to close a door in front of PunkBuster. Can any other gamers affected by PB issues try to reduce RT's protection by setting ProtectProcess to 0 in the PowerUser tab, restart RT then check if it is still able to prevent PB from crashing the system in this state? I need your help, guys.
    If it will work, I'll disable process protection by default in the next version.