RivaTuner v2.01

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Apr 30, 2007.

1. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    1.When we can see new RivaTuner to support 158.27 or other new drivers?

2.Can I change my 8800GTS Fan Speed with 158.27 + Riva 2.01?

2. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Yep, using Rivatuner 2.01 myself on 8800GTS and 158.27 ;)

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There is no need in that. 158.22 is not anyway different comparing to previous 158.xx series and it doesn't require any additional support.

Hint: fan control is low-level and it doesn't depend on OS/driver version etc.

4. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    Tanx a lot but I saw 2 place in Rivatuner 2.01 for changing Fan Speed
    First at Low-Level System Settings
    Second at System Tweaks

Where I should set this for Rivatuner 2.01 + 158.27??

Idle = Fan Speed 70%
    Low Power 3D Mod = Fan Speed 80%
    Load = Fan Speed 100%

Last edited: May 27, 2007

5. Unwinder

Try to read context help for both of them. It is not hard at all.

You cannot control fan speed at driver level and set independent 2D/3D fan speeds on this hardware, because ForceWare is able control fan coonected only to intrgrated GPU PWM controller, which is only used on cheap solutions like 6x00, 7800GT, 7900GT etc.
    Hi-end boards including whole 8800 family use external temperature based fan control circuit and extranl I2C PWM controller, which can be accessed via low-level settings only.
    All these things were explained really MANY times in the forum. As well as they are covered in the context help and in FAQ supplied with program. Try to read them yourself next time please.

6. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Hey there Unwinder :)

I would like to know, how much of a CPU should RivaTuner use ?

I am just curious, I was looking at my Task Manager and I hadn't noticed it before, but I saw RivaTuner.exe using "04" and remained so constant. Then I started it again, and it was at "00", however after an hour or so of gaming (simple coincidence maybe) it was at "02". If it matters to mention I am mostly using the following RT features: Personal drivers settings (for specific games of course), GPU Core and low-level Fan speed monitoring on the Task Bar, low-level Fan speed control (two profiles) and then over-clocking (two profiles).

Also, to make sure that the Task Manager didn't report the CPU usage incorrectly I made a simple test using SiSoftware Sandra 2007 Lite, and ran a test for CPU Arithmetics, with and without RivaTuner.exe. The conclusion is that both the Dhrystone ALU and the Whetstone iSSE3 scores were around 350 points lower with RV running.

So, again, I just want to make it clear that I am not saying that using some of the CPU is "bad". I'm just curious as to know if that's normal, if it's just something that has to be expected from your tool, or if that might be caused by something else.

Thanks.

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    The Hardware monitor has a Data Polling Interval, that's probably what your seeing. Unwinder can answer better.

8. Unwinder

CPU performance hit of background hardware monitoring depends on:

1) Amount (each graph needs CPU time to be redrawn) and type of hardware monitoring graphs.
    2) Type of hardware. E.g. HDD temperature plugin retreives it via SMART and its own performance hit depends on the speed of reading SMART by ATA controller and HDD itself (as an exampe, it takes about 2ms on my test NF4 + new 320Mb Seagate HDD and about 20ms on the same NF4 with old IBM 40Mb)
    3) Data polling interval specified in monitoring properties.

You can easily estimate performance hit caused by adding each new graph to monitoring module. Status bar is added to monitoring window special for this purpose. You can press "Toggle status bar visibility button" then see a total polling time (i.e. the time required to poll hardware for all required graphs) and GUI update time (i.e. the time required to draw all graphs) then examine how do these times change when you add and remove a graph.

Personally I try to keep configation of hardware monitoring module on my system allowing it to "eat" not more than 10ms once per 1000ms (i.e. to "eat" not more than 10/1000=1% of CPU time each second). It is up to you to choose which number is acceptable for your system.

If you use the server, it also add some performance hit by:

1) Monitoring the system to know when 3D application is started
    2) Collecting framerate when running 3D application (constant and depends on CPU clock only)
    3) Drawing OSD when running 3D application (depends on amount of drawn characters).

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  9. Joxer

Joxer Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9-290x
    Is there a way to force vsync under Vista using RivaTuner?.

10. Unwinder

Is there a way to read documentation for software?

11. VoRtAn_MaDgE

VoRtAn_MaDgE Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Congrats for the job on rivatuner Unwinder.

Everything is working great but i'm having an issue that is making me crazy....

When i oc my vga (testing a 8600gts right now) to the max all of the tests run without a single artifact or problems.

When i use and change the level of detail nature crashes (3dmark01).
    Freezes then crashes.

Happens all the time on the very same place.

Already installed fresh o.s (xp), used 158.22 and 158.27, same thing.

Any ideia?

Other thing that i noticed is that when i pass 4675mhz on my e6700 the tests start giving me graphic corruption, below that works perfect.
    Tried all kind of values to lock the pci-ex, nothing helps.

Any idea how to solve those issues ?

Thks m8.

12. Unwinder

What LOD are you setting and is it happening on _default_ clock? If yes, then there is a bug in the driver (which is handling LOD change) and you should wait for a fix in ForceWare. If it is happening only in conjunction with overclocking, then lowering the clock is the only software solution. Hardware solutions are voltage mod and cooling system mod.

13. VoRtAn_MaDgE

VoRtAn_MaDgE Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Edited the max to 15 (-15 to 15) and using 4.8....
    Tried now 2.5 to see if works...same thing freeze same place.

If i run 3dmark with no oc on vga and with lod the system run perfectly too.

The thing that makes me confused is that with no lod the system completelly overclocked run all the tests with the vga with that clocks (915/1200) 1.5gpu, 2.36vmem.
    Vga card is well cooled... two tornado's (more than 200cfm) :D

If i use just rivatuner for lod and overclock the vga using other software result is the same.

Weird...

btw is there any setting in rivatuner called "driver emulation mode" ?
    I'm asking that cuzz a friend of my told me that he had on the pass a similar problem that he solved turning on that option.

14. ViperJohn

ViperJohn Member Guru

Sounds like you need to back the system speed off a bit. Take 100-200Mhz out of the CPU speed temporarily to see if the crash in 01 stops or at least change where the crash occurs.

Viper

15. VoRtAn_MaDgE

VoRtAn_MaDgE Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    if i use the speed that normally i use to boot for benchmark (4450 or 4500) then clockgen the result is the same.

We're talking about 200mhz difference - 4450 / 4650

the quote above seems odd to me too, the problem.

Never experienced that ....

16. Unwinder

Then lower the clocks. Setting higher positive LOD causes GPU to process much less texture data during frame rendering, which results in higher framerate. It looks like overclocked GPU just cannot survive this stress.

17. VoRtAn_MaDgE

VoRtAn_MaDgE Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    915 / 1200 max
    900 / 1175 same.

Lower than that?

Car, low or high passes with lod and oc.
    Lobby too.

Nature and drago crashes....

18. VoRtAn_MaDgE

VoRtAn_MaDgE Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Is there in rivatuner any setting with that designation ?
    Already run up and down power user menu and didn't find it.

19. Unwinder

Lower util reaching stability.

20. Unwinder

Yes, but that doesn't affect anything but RT itself (it just allows RT to "see" a different driver version instead of installed one). It won't help.