RivaTuner + SoftR9700 (R9500 into R9700) !!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Do you think I am stupid or what? I said the software modification won't change the 9500 into 9700 FOR EVER. If you reinstall drivers you will have to run the soft again... everything you've said there is know already...

2. TrIpLeSiCk

TrIpLeSiCk Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX SLi
    b4 you all get excited buying 9500np 128MB cards like there's no tomorrow maybe you should read this thread:

http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45024

According to the 3rd post from the bottom of the given thread above, by warp11, there are different versions of 9700 PCBs. The older version is missing 2 chips. I do remember reading about different PCB revisions from some website over a month ago (unfortunately, i don't remember the site) so this makes sense. There's a few more interesting stuff to read.

People who are getting %100 success rates on their handful 9500np 64/128MB boards most likely have the newer PCB's to play with, hence, the high success rates. A big crowd from Rage3d forum, who already tried the harware mod (which Unwinder's script can do the same in software level), with 9500np ordered from different online stores will lower the success rates big time because not all will get the newer PCB's. This is way more realistic. The ppl at Rage3d forum are having low success rates w/ the hardware mod and will most likely be the same story for the software mod.

If you get the old revision then you may end up w/ a 9500 card that can't be upgraded to a 9500pro or 9700np via hardware/software hack but can still use the hacked bios for overclocking (won't be as cool as 9500->9700 though).

In the end, good things come to those who wait (but i'm really itching to order 9500np 128MB now:D )

Unwinder, what are your thoughts on the different 9700 PCB revisions? Will this affect the success of modding 9500 to 9700np?

3. aldamon

aldamon New Member

Thank god for Newegg then! Sometimes it pays to order from a high-volume seller.

4. TrIpLeSiCk

TrIpLeSiCk Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX SLi

oops, my bad. no disrespect intended.

5. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    I'm glad we agree:)

But now about 2 pcb versions of radeon. Don't you think there could be the third version of it soon?:D and the one that can't be modded at all.

6. I seem to have found some in stock !!!!

Have a look and tell me whether they are the right cards guys!

www.dabs.co.uk offers !

Sapphire Technology Limited
    Radeon 9500 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO

Connect3D RADEON™ 9500 128 + VGA DVI-I & Tv-out - AGP 8x
    and for 110 pounds !!!!!

very small picture but notheless tell me if thats the one were looking for
    [​IMG]

Thanks again guys!

7. 0m3n

0m3n Guest

*Hugz* to unwinder saving me loads a money :D

Someone metioning the old pcb have only 2 mem chips, isnt that the 64 mb version m8....

For all our dutch ppl her check this one,....maxpc ,the owner told he the mod (hardware) was a lil unstable but that was due to the mobo, in another system it worked like a dream....

And IT WAS THE CORRECT PCB!

So i instantly ordered one....dbf

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that PCB revision means anything. My press-sample of R9500 64MB is dated by March(!!!) of 2002. So it's pretty old, but the mod still works.

9. TrIpLeSiCk

TrIpLeSiCk Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX SLi
    Re: *Hugz* to unwinder saving me loads a money :D

dude, just read this thread: http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45024

it'll explain better. I'm not talkin about 2 missing memory modules here.

10. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    Hey, wait a minute.

All the mods made by all those sites in the net uses the old RED PCB of the Sapphire 9500 128MB NON PRO.
    I think that the problem is not a trade mark (BBA or Sapphire) but is the PCB.
    This doesn't mean that the script way doesn't work on some graphic cards where the hardware mod works.
    It should be like this: if the hardware mod works, the script works too.
    If this is correct, it should be good even the revers of that frase: if the scropt works, the hardware mod works too.
    This means that to find a good hacking graphic card we can just install it on a computer and use the script to transform it from a 9500 128MB NON PRO in to a 9700 128MB / PRO to verify if the additional 4 pipelines works.

If they work, it means that making the hardware mod we will get the same resaults. If I get some errors it means that probably one of the additional 4 pipelines are not good and that the chip built on the 9500 128MB NON PRO that we have examined has been built here exactly for that problem: one of the the 4 additional pipelines don't work very good. Instead of throwing away the chip, I built it on a graphic card that don't uses all the pipelines.

This post can be reconducible to the thread I opened here

So I think we will have to wait someone of those that have buyed a BLACK PCB Sapphire 9500 128MB NON PRO (and that had made the hardware mod adn used the CORRECT bios with no success) to make the script patch instead to see if the graphic works that way.
    I think it will not work either.

Personally I will wait the software to go to my personal reseller (and friend) to try in his lab the software on a BLACK PCB Sapphire 9500 128MB NON PRO before buyng it just to be shure to buy on that can be modded with the resistod/bios way.

P.S.: If the script is out even in a beta version and if works, can some one share it with me so that I can go tho try this thing to my friend's computer shop?? He has 3 BLACK PCB Sapphire 9500 128MB NON PRO.

11. colonel

colonel New Member

GPU:
    Inno3d/7600GT/256
  12. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Unwinder, a very serious suggestion to you: well I've read all the thread in rage3d forums and I must say it made me really concerned about the r9500 hacking. Only a few people managed to do it succesfully. This might mean that the cards really might have deffective pixel pipelines and that your software patch won't work too. So basically what you are doing now is making people buy the cards and assuring the patch will work. But if the success rate is less than 50% they would really think if it is good to buy the cards. You can make many people loose their money on nothing and make them really disappointed.

I think You should really select a small group of people ( 10 - 15) and send them the beta of the program, so they can test it on their radeons 9500. This is the only way for sure to know if Ati disables damaged pipelines...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  13. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I really like such posts, it's just an attempt to get script published as fast as possible. Am I force you to buy anything? Did you payed me anything for software? No problems, no feedback on SoftR9700 in this thread more. No discussion, I will not reply to anything before. I remeber such ppl reaction before publishing SoftQuadro4 and I don't want to see such speculation now. So the thread is closed.

Yep, the next phrase will be "I'd like to be a tester". Haven't I said in this thread that I prefer closed beta testing before publishing anything? What do you think we doing now? Just wasting the time in forums?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  14. ]SKyRuNNeR[

]SKyRuNNeR[ Guest

Perhaps you all forgot that unwinder tested the script with 4 different cards and he succeeded on ALL of them. I think it's possible that the soft mod works even if the hardware one doesn't, and we are not sure 'bout how many people did the hardware mod in the way it has supposed to be done. The only thing i could say to the ones who are going to buy a r9500 np only for the modify, is : wait the release, THEN if everything is ok , buy it. I bought a 9500 np because it's a good card and it's the best i could afford, and the chance of overclocking is for me a surplus, if there is, good, if there isn't nothing changes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.