RivaTuner + SoftR9700 (R9500 into R9700) !!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6600GT 128MB
    From what I've been reading in the thread.
    the memory arrangment on the non-pro is different from the pro
    the one with 2 mem chips above and 2 the the side of the core are 256bit.. look at the pro version, all the memory chips are above the core.

as someone stated earlier. If the memory was 128bit the additional 4 rendering pipelines would put the 9500 128mb non-pro performance up to 9500 pro but instead it bumps it all the way to 9700. 9500 and 9700 has the same core speed it's just that on the 9500 the extra 4 rendering pipelines are disabled.

Wouldn't this hurt 9700 sales?
    btw I just bought my 9500 non-pro 128mb from newegg.com
    newegg says the memory is 128bit also.

2. Postman

Postman Guest

Ok...
    Next question...

If I "hack" my new 9500 and then reinstall WinXP will the "new" installation of Windows recognise the board as a 9500 again or is it forever transformed to a 9700??

3. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    This software will not make your radeon 9500 into 9700 for ever. The hardware modifications and bios flashing does that.
    My part of question: will the program have to be run once or will it be running in the background all the time?

4. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    From what I understand, this is a driver hack. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. This means that when you reinstall Windows, you'll have to reinstall the drivers therefore you have to reinstall the patch. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong. On the other hand, with the hardware method you wouldn't have to because it's on the hardware and doesn't depend on software.

5. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    If it is a driver hack then it should be enabled as long as you keep the drivers that you patched.

6. Postman

Postman Guest

Ok, my mistake...
    Wasn't clear enough I think...

I was talking about the software hack since I don't have the skills or equipment to solder surface mounted components...

7. sniper342

sniper342 Guest

Unwinder, thanks for answering questions on here.

Has it been tested yet on both the 3.3 ns Infeneon ram and the 3.6 ns Hynix ram Sapphire 9500 128 meg non pro cards? Thanks.

8. Nabors

Nabors Guest

Now I'm sure by now, we all know that it is only the OEM Radeon 9500 NON pro 128mb card that is the proper card to use. I myself have ordered the sapphire 9500 128mb card.

My question to whomever can answer it, is this:

Once the script has been released to unlock the 4 extra pipelines, how can I go about overclocking the card from default speeds? I know there is a Hacked Bios out for another brand of OEM 9500, which unlocks the gpu/memory speeds. Could I then use this hacked bios to up the speed of my sapphire? Is there something else I could use to do such a thing? Perhaps I could use the ATI 9700 bios? (I doubt this, unless the hardware hack was applied).

Now for my opinion that most of you will not care about.. :D

After reading a couple news clips. I understood that the card in question, was specifically the OEM Radeon 9500 128mb. How is it that in every forum I have read, people are still asking the same questions about what card we are talking about. And refering to the 9500 Pro in half of the postings, the 64mb version in the other half... All it takes is the time to actually READ the previous postings. Sorry, it's just getting on my nerves! :p

I'm still not sure how software can override a resistor soldered onto a gpu... but who am I to question it? I would much rather keep my card in original condition then butcher it with a soldering iron.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2003
  9. Zulan

Zulan Guest

Nabors, could you show me or just quote where you have found the information about this only conserning the oem cards. Beacuse I have read this whole thread and my conclution was that the Sapphire card should be working fine with the mods. Its only the 64mb version and the PRO version that wont work.

10. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    The 64 mb version will work but it will only bump the card to 9500 pro status
    The 128 mb non-pro version will work, bumping it to 9700 non-pro
    The 128 mb pro version will not work at all.

11. Zulan

Zulan Guest

I stand corrected. It was just that this wasn't an option for me...

12. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    I think this is what you want.

13. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    Further proof that the 9500 128mb NP has a 256bit memory interface.

from here http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r9500-9700-dx9-p1.html

14. DoomzDayz

DoomzDayz Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce4 Ti 4400 128MB
    Which companies made the 3.3 ns radeons?
    And with all the people talking about doing the hack themselves and flashing the bios and having artifiacts.. if theres different ram chips on the boards, they may have different settings in bios, and everyone using whoever's bios that is might hvae too aggressive settings. Is the BIOS going around a 9700? they usually have different faster ram. Using a software hack would of course go around this.

And about the people thinking that the 9500 chips had defective pipelines, and were just disabled through the bios and a resistor, wouldnt flashing the bios with someone else's mess up which pipelines are used? Or is it actually disabled on the chip somehow, which it aparently isnt. Id like to believe they just put the same r300 chips in 9500 as 9700 pro's, but what did they do with the defective ones? If half the 9500's have defective pipelines, and they were enabled, what would happen? Artifacts? not as improved performance? crash?

15. 0m3n

0m3n Guest

Connect 3d Radeon 128 mb NON-pro

Can i do this also with the connect 3d version of the board? i emailed the shop and he explicitly told me it was the NON-pro with 2 modules verticale en 2 modules horizontale of the GPU

16. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    Re: Connect 3d Radeon 128 mb NON-pro

It should work with all the different brands.

17. Emil J

Emil J Guest

No more 9500 (non pro) Cards?

Great piece of news this!
    I've read through the whole thread and decided to try to find me one of these... but!
    I tried to find a 9500 128 Mb card in Sweden and the only one so far is the one, from www.dataprince.se, someone posted on the previous page. That card has according the the spec. 128bit memory bus... so no go there. I then checked www.ATI.com and there the Radeon 9500 128Mb card is not listed as a product anymore...

http://mirror.ati.com/products/builtdesktoppc.html

Anyone know of other good online sites, good for ordering from in Sweden, that might have the card? I've tried Dustin, Mycom, Datorbutiken, Dataprince and some others.

Cheers!

18. aldamon

aldamon New Member

Despite what is being typed on product description pages, all non-ATI 128MB Radeon 9500 non-Pros can be hacked to have a 256 bit memory bus. This has been explained several times now. I don't understand the confusion. Ignore the description and buy the damn card! They probably cut and pasted the description from the 64MB version.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  19. 0m3n

0m3n Guest

was confused by a previous post, sorry :D

20. aldamon

aldamon New Member

<cries>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.