1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RivaTuner + SoftR9700 (R9500 into R9700) !!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Thats my main concern too, I'm damn tempted to buy a 128MB 9500, but only the 9500Pro and 9700/9700Pro have the connector for the drive power-cable. Presumably the non-Pro 9500 draws rather less power as it only uses half the pipelines in the core. But the modded version is gonna enable the other pipelines and the power consumption will rise considerably, to the same level as a 9500Pro/9700. Its may well draw more current from your AGP slot than official specs but I think most mobos will tolerate that okay (esp. AGP Pro ones). Not sure if the power-circuitry on the card will be so happy.

Does anyone know if the power-circuitry on the card is gonna be seriously overloaded after converting a 9500 into a 9700?

2. slunge

slunge Guest

hello Unwinder, sorry for yet another mundane question, but this one is brief, i had ordered a 9500 NP, 128 mb and canceled it this morning due to the fact that such a high proportion of people performing the hardware mod were experiencing the checkerboard bug..

looking at your responses here is starting to convince me again :)

the board i will be gettin is:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Graphics_and_Video_56.html

"Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500 Atlantis 128MB DDR DVI/TV (AGP) - Retail (GX-007-SP)"

which i belive comes with the 3.6 ns hynix ram, and also happens to be the card a few people have had problems hardware modding, can u see a problem with your software mod and this card, because im very close to reordering the card :D

thanks for your efforts, and keep up the great work.

3. aldamon

aldamon New Member

I don't think you've been paying attention. The 9500s we're modding were built on the 9700 PCB, extra power connector and all. Go look at the pic at Newegg. I can't link to it for some reason.

4. ynotkill

ynotkill Guest

Thanks for your quick reply ... thats great news and convincing enough for me to go ahead with my purchase.

Thanks again from myself and my friends who are shortly to be placing their orders as well.

Cya

5. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Sorry, you're right, it does have the connector. Ignore my earlier post :)

6. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Maybe a stupid question, but .... I've got viakt266a mobo with only agp4x. I know radeon's are agp backwards compatible and loose only about 1-2% of speed because of having agp4x instead of agp8x.
    Can there possibly be any problems with the hack and agp4x???

7. ataxy

ataxy Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 275 1gb
    i doubt you would have problem with that

8. ynotkill

ynotkill Guest

although saying that, all the sucsessfull hardware modifications have had 8x enabled.... it shouldnt make a difference at all....im just saying

9. srwven

srwven Guest

By chance are any of those 4 boards a 9500np 128mb?

10. loafer87gt

loafer87gt Member

Excellent to hear your reply UnWinder. One more quick question for you if you don't mind. Am I correct in understanding that Rivatuner itself will not allow me to overclock my 9500 card? Does this mean we will have to flash our cards with the 9700 BIOS if we want to OC the cards to 9700 levels?

Can't wait for the release.. If you need an extra beta tester email me at loafer@shaw.ca

11. Mr_Jim

Mr_Jim Guest

Thats a good question! I have a plain Sapphire Radeon 9500 NON PRO 128 megz with the 9700 PCB. I have the orginal BIOS, with Rivaturner will the hack work as is? I dont need to change BIOS to get the extra 4 pipelines enabled or to overclock it?

12. HolySin

HolySin Guest

hmmm....
    Newegg.com is listing the saphire radeon 9500 128mb as 128-bit ddr memory...

13. K3nn7

K3nn7 Guest

I got my hopes high and then you tell there will be no W98 version :(

14. Dr-Joy

Dr-Joy Guest

I've been following this stuff now for a few days and it's great!

I have a simple question for unwinder:

Can u tell us wich boards you'v succesfully hacked the software way?
    And amI right that if the software version works, I don't have to worry about the board layout, and can simply buy any 9500 128 mb non pro card?
    The sapphire is hard to get allready, but connect 3d has one for 170,--, so if that one works also, by software, I'll get it asap!

Thanks, great stuff!!

15. wesblake

wesblake Guest

So, is this worth it?

This is probably a question for another area, but it relates, and you guys are the ATI experts, not I. I have a Geforce 4 Ti4400 right now (Just broke 10,000 on an XP 1700+@1900+ and DDR2400). I can get about 130 for it, and then buy a 9500 128MB for 160 and do the mod. Is it worth the hassle and extra 30 ducks? Thanks guys.

16. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 and 9500 has the same clock levels. The only difference is disabled 4 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory bus disabled and made to 128-bit bus.
    TOMSHARDWARE tells:
    Radeon 9700 PRO: The fastest and most expensive card among the ATI models. Eight pixel pipelines, four vertex shaders, 128 MB with 256-bit memory bus, DirectX 9 support. Clock speed (chip/memory): 325/310. Official price: $399.
    Radeon 9700: The smaller of the 9700 series differs in its lower clock speeds: 275/270. Official price: $299.
    Radeon 9500 PRO: The memory interface was reduced from 256-bit to 128-bit, but it can still accept up to 128 MB of memory. Otherwise, it has the same features as the 9700 cards, meaning that it offers full support for DirectX 9. Clock speeds: 275/275. Official price: $199.
    Radeon 9500: Again, the memory bus is only 128-bit. The maximum memory is reduced from 128 MB to 64 MB. In addition, four pixel pipelines are left out. However, it still offers full DirectX 9 support. Clock speeds: 275/270. Official price: $179.

17. aprox

aprox Guest

18. neil

neil Guest

Should I buy now or could I be able to buy it later? I mean, would ati be revising their products and I'll not be able to do this in say a few weeks time? Cause I'm going to build myself a computer in around that time...

Also, the software fix you'll be scripting unwinder.. I'll be using win2k no probs, but if I ever wanted to have a dual-boot with say linux or win9x, will it revert back to 9500 or what would happen?

Thanks mateys

19. Dr-Joy

Dr-Joy Guest

20. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Yeah, I'd like to know what neil asks too. Do you think we will be able to buy radeon 9500 128mb with radeon 9700 pcb in....ehm....let's say one month?? Won't ati simply start making the 9500 on the 9500pro pcb??? It would be much simplier, they would just have to disable 4 pixel pipelines and we would loose 256-bit memory traces? Am I right or am I just paranoid???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.