RivaTuner + SoftR9700 (R9500 into R9700) !!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It must work with any R9500 (brand doesn't matter) with any currently available Catalyst (we've tested 6.200 - 6.255). Impotant note: I've created scripts for w2k/xp drivers only. I don't plan to perform the same thing for w9x driver.

2. Lugonn

Lugonn Guest

Hello Unwinder!

Just a quick question (migth be that's asked before)
    could it be possible to modify (by software) a radeon 9000 (pro or non) into a radeon 8500(9100) ?

3. aprox

aprox Guest

hello unwinder, i have ordered a r9500PRO that will be in my hands the 13th. shall I take a r9500 128mb instead?? and does the "trick" work with any r9500 128mb there the memorys is _not_ in line??

4. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Ok to be sure of what you mean.....those of us that have stayed with W98SE cannot use this software to up the 9500 to a 9700?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2003

5. Mr_Jim

Mr_Jim Guest

Unwinder>I know maybe this is a stupid question, but why not release the script now so we dont have to wait 2 weeks? Rivaturner is freeware isnt it? Or does the script only work with Rivaturner? Then i can understand why your holding on to it.

6. snave

snave Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3650 512 AGP
    Mr Jim,

Rivatuner exists to do more than provide you with tuning potential for poxy ATi cards. Unwinder exists to do more than act as your personal tuning guru.

We wait. You can wait too.

Snave

7. epi

epi Guest

heh he. I was right about everything. Damn I love being right :cool:

If they could, they would have done that by now. It's not something they didn't know :p

And if nvidia couldn't, Ati can't either :D

And I also happen to beleive Ati wouldn't. <150$ cards form the greatest segment of the market, Ati has strong sellers in this segment , why not make them stronger ?

8. Mr_Jim

Mr_Jim Guest

It wasnt meant that way, why cant he release the script for EVERYONE now (it works as we have read) instead of waiting for a new version of Rivaturner? But if the script ONLY works with Rivaturner i understand why we ALL have to wait.

9. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Am I reading this wrong anyone?

10. ynotkill

ynotkill Guest

Lo Unwinder and all,

Ive just one question that people have probably asked all over the show,.... What is your sucess rate approximatly Unwinder of unlocking 9500 128mb cards with the software "and" the card "not" demonstrating any artifacts?

Ive been stuggling with myself for the last few days whether to buy a 9500 or not....i havent that mush dosh, but can stretch to afford one of these 9500's seeing as it will last me a full year or more using the unlocking technique. But from what ive read in different forums so far is that about 80% of hardware modifications that have worked have displayed artifacts (i.e. the checkers). I doubt a software solution will remedy these artifacts but i'd prefer for unwinder to say otherwise.

Heh... Everyone is waiting on your word, because we dont want to buy when we dont know if it respond ok afterwards (artifact wise), but all the stocks of 9500 cards are disapearing faster and faster because people are trying the hardware modification.

I'll probably play it safe and not buy one now, then see how it pans out artifact wise with the software solution, then if its ok or 80% likely to suceed without artifacts using software i'll struggle to find a card later.

Eeek... a long paragraph for a simple question....sorry for whittling on but there it is.

Tony, (ynotkill)

11. Postman

Postman Guest

Hmmmm...

Hi
    I'm new here in this forum and I hope to get someone to explain one thing...

This "hack" that's going to be incorporated into RivaTuner, which card are affected??

Is it going to turn a:
    9500 (128 bit) > 9500 Pro
    9500 (256 bit) > 9700
    9500 Pro > 9700 Pro

Or what's going to happen??

I have ordered a Sapphire 9500 Pro but they haven't reached Sweden yet so I'm still waiting for it but if that card isn't possible to turn into something else I will cancel the order and take a 9500 instead...

12. epi

epi Guest

9500 (128 bit) > 9500 Pro
    9500 (256 bit) > 9700

That's all.

No 9500 Pro modding.

and

9500 (128 bit) is any 9500 with 64mb of ram
    9500 (256 bit) is any 9500 with 128mb of ram

I'm pretty sure that there won't be any unless you overclock the card too much. Think about it as enabling the extra cache on a Celeron Coppermine128

Unwinder, does the new version allow overclocking the cards with bioses locked against overclocking ?

13. snek_one

snek_one Guest

damn, I just ordered the 9500PRO..

but, I'm just wondering how hard it is to find these 256bit boards. I live in the Netherlands, and 128MB boards are only made by brands which are more expensive than our local good brand Club3D.

The 9500PRO will set me back € 205,- (not incl delivery)
    A Point of View 9500 128MB would set me back € 229,- (not incl delivery)

It's too late now, but I'll take my chances with something that I know works 100%.. That extra bit of performance is almost negligable these days, unless you run at some CRAZY resolutions, but I only have a small monitor anyway.

14. hi guys

i have a little question about power supply of the 9500.
    does it have an externally one or not?
    and if no will the power of the AGP enough for the "hacked" 9700?

Damn good work unwinder :D

15. Unwinder

Yes, you've got it right. Maybe I'll create the patch for w9x, but now I don't plan to do it.

16. Unwinder

Nope, RT itself will not be able to overclock such locked boards without BIOS update (I don't like an idea of periodical clock frequency programming used in PowerStrip, so don't ask me to implement the same thing in RT). But the script unlocks overclocking limitation on R9500PRO/R9700 too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  17. HolySin

HolySin Guest

18. Unwinder

I don't think so.

19. DawnWolf

DawnWolf Guest

And that's true for a 9500 64MB. The 128MB has a 256-bit bus. That is definite.

If it had 128, its performance would be on par with a 9500Pro after unlocking the extra 4 pipes. Its Performance is on par with a 9700 instead. Go figure.

Lengthy benchmark comparison by YT that proves all this. Gah, I keep plugging that post. Read it, people. Answers a lot of questions about bus-width and relative performance.

20. Unwinder

Four boards we've tried to mod demonstrated no artifacts and are rock stable. I'm almos sure that these artifacts ppl crying about are caused by flashing wrong BIOS or something like that. Anyway, we'll know the real success rate after publishing it. _Our_current_ success rate is 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.