RivaTuner + SoftR9700 (R9500 into R9700) !!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PowerSupply

PowerSupply New Member

GPU:
    Soon a Radeon 9500->9700!!
    Waiting =o) !

"I must warn you though do not bug him with questions like 'how much longer until the new RivaTuner is out'."

Why can't he release the new version now? What's problems so to say?

This is NOT a question about when but WHY!

/ PowerSupply

2. epi

epi Guest

Bug fixing or adding new things I guess. Probably beta testing. There is always a reason to wait.

It's a good think that Unwinder just doesn't rush to be the first and gets rid of the bugs first, as much as he could without releasing it and getting some feedback.

3. Guspaz

Guspaz Guest

Someone wanted benchmarks of the hacked cards.

This page at x-bit uses the hardware hack, but since you're just enabling the extra 4 pipelines the same as the software hack, the performance should be the same:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1041719082

This page has a nice bar-graph comparing original 9500, hacked 9500, hacked+overclocked 9500, and Radeon 9700 Pro.

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    AWESOME !!!!!! :D :D

Nice work Unwinder !!

9500 here I come !!

5. DawnWolf

DawnWolf Guest

When you bring in some more benchies from firingsquad, you find that the 9500-hack is exactly on par with the 9700, which means it does indeed have a 256-bit system bus.

I took the liberty of writing that all up and giving relative figures elsewhere in this forum.

Awesome work. Truly awesome. The 4 extra pipelines have probably not been QAd during manufacturing, so this might not work always or keep working, but hey. You don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. :cool:

6. delerium

delerium Guest

Hot Deal, And Question.

Just ordered this card from allstarshop (very good co. have ordered many parts, send same day as ordered)

Sapphire RADEON 9500 ATLANTIS 128MB

And i wanna make sure this card can (and will ;o ) be turned into a 9700 with the software patch.

This card is OEM and is priced @ 157 with free shipping.

Thanks.

7. loafer87gt

loafer87gt Member

Is this the right type of 9500?

I just picked up a 9500 128 meg version of the card from a local computer shop. Here is a picture of the card. Does anyone know how to tell who is the manufacturer of the card? The receipt says that it is an ATI oem card, but as far as I knew ATI wasn't making any 9500 cards, but rather leaving it to 3rd party manufacturers. Anywho, the ram chips are 3.6, is this good? What type of ram is on the 9700 Pro boards? Here is a link to a picture of my card:

www.members.shaw.ca/loafer/9500128.jpg

Just want to know as I only have 7 days to test the card and then I can no longer return it. Thanks in advance for any info....

8. hoju22

hoju22 Guest

yeah, i picked up my card from allstarshop too, should come on friday. anyway loafer87gt that is the right card but you better hope rivatuner comes out in 7 days. the ram on the 9500 can only go up to 300mhz while the vpu can go up to 375 they say

9. delerium

delerium Guest

Also the 9500 turned 9700 matches the speeds of the 9700 pro? or just the 9700?

10. DawnWolf

DawnWolf Guest

Your question answered here

9700 if not oced. 9700 Pro-ish if oced successfully.

11. loafer87gt

loafer87gt Member

I was also curious if there is a way to verify that the 256 bit bus is indeed present and working. As far as I know, Powerstrip is unable to display this info.

Also, any chance of some benchies to show that the software patch works? I am starting to get a bit paniciky that I might have jumped the gun a purchased the card without waiting to see any others users experiences with the softmod. After using your SoftQuadro on my old GF card though, I have faith that the softmod does indeed work.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  12. epi

epi Guest

"Does anyone know how to tell who is the manufacturer of the card?"

Seems to be built by Ati.

"Also, any chance of some benchies to show that the software patch works?"

The score of the fill rate test in 3d Mark 2001 would be nearly double.

"I was also curious if there is a way to verify that the 256 bit bus is indeed present and working. "

If it wasn't present and working, the card would simply become a 9500 Pro and performe like one. They have 8 pipelines and 128 bit bus, this is why they have a different layout.

So if you're worried about getting stuck with a non-pro 9500 if the card doesn't have 256bit bus, don't worry. The trick should make it a 9500 pro. This is the case if you have the 64mb version.

"the ram chips are 3.6 "

This is the standart value for 9500, apparently the only real change in hdw between 9700-9500. Should work fine @ 275mhz(550mhz efective 256 bit bus, it's above the Geforce FX Ultra spec. which is 1000mhz efective 128bit bus). Anything above would be pushing it to the limites. But it would operate at higher clock speeds if you are lucky. This applies to all of us.

Using the modified bioses, you could o/c the vpu to hell. The mem. band. is already superior to Geforce FX, so overclockin' the vpu makes more sense. Removing the heatsink, cleaning the vpu and using Arctic Silver III could increase overclocking potential.

You can use the following review to compare ram o/c gain and vpu
    o/c gain, except for Quake3 (which is always band. hungry) increasing the core frequency makes more sense :

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r9700pro-oc.html

13. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Could somebody tell if the trick is REALLY going to work. If the 4 pixel pipelines are not meant to work they can cause instability and crashes. Is it true?
    Also won't Ati be able to stop Unwinder from doing this with driver level protection?
    I would really like to hear the answers from a man who knows them for sure.

14. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Currently I test the script on R9500 64MB (128-bit bus) and see no problems at all. Digit-life guys are also testing R9500 64MB and Sapphire R9500 128MB (256-bit bus). No problems again (at least yet).

I don't think so. ;)

15. Unwinder

New RT can dispaly memory bus type for R200/RV250/R300 boards.

I don't remember exact numbers. Something like 9500->10500 in 3DMark2001 and 16x->20x in Quake3 on my home PC (XP1800+, A7V8X (KT400), 512MB PC2700). Currently I'm in office, but if you are really interested I can bring detailed 3DMark results when I'll have a break for dinner ;) You can also find DL's benchmarks here:
    http://www.ixbt.com/video2/r9500-9700-dx9-p1.shtml

16. Unwinder

Nope, it will not. The patch unlocks 8 pixel pipelines _only_. It doesn't changy anything memory bus type related.

17. Unwinder

Re: Waiting =o) !

Well, new RivaTuner is much more than SoftR9700 script. Some things steel need to be implemented/fixed. I've spent 3 weeks on digging in ATI BIOS/drivers so I need to update implement NV 42.01 support too.

18. Unwinder

Nope, sorry. I'd like to perform closed beta testing before bringing a script to public.

19. Unwinder

Hi Falk,

Yep, currently I work in this direction. :) I need a regular R9700PRO to finish it, but one man again wished to help and he is ready to send R9700PRO sample. So I'll be able to give more details after receiving it. Now I just have some ideas, which cannot be implemented due to the lack of sample.

20. Unwinder

Check a link to iXBT review I've provided before. R9500 128MB (256-bit bus) overclocked to 325/310 _absolutely_ matches with regular R9700PRO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.