Rivatuner only sets clocks for one card in SLI...

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by TheStigma, Jan 16, 2008.

1. TheStigma

TheStigma Member

Hey all,

I'm trying to set some new clocks for my 8800GTX SLI setup, but I am having a problem with Rivatuner only setting the clocks for one of my cards, not both. This makes the benchmarks give the same score as with stock settings. I am assuming it just defaults down to the lowest clock settings between the wto since it needs to be in sync for SLI.

I can't figure out how to set the clocks for both cards... I've looked thorugh the forum and read up on some dokumentation, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Several places reference that Rivatuner should be able to handle a SLI setup.

I am using the latest version 2.06

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd hate to be forced to overclock via Ntune :(

EDIT:
    Actually, do update with some relevant information, this is taken from the "SLI-guide" stickied in the Nvidia section:

"Overclocking in SLI mode is just the same as with a single card. Whether using Coolbits or Rivatuner, only ONE set of Core and memory speeds will be displayed. Dont worry, this is totally normal. When you overclock either the memory or core clock slider it is overclocking BOTH cards. The reason you cant see two sets of controls (one for each card) is because clock speeds have to be sync'ed for SLI to work properly. If there were a set for each card, you could run one card at a different speed to the other, leading to possible stability issues."

This can't be correct...

The thing is that if you OC a SLI setup via Rivatuner and then check the settings in GPU-Z you will see that only one of the cards actually have the new settings on it. Benchmarking also shows results that are not consistent with what you would expect (and are much lower than overcloking the same clock via for example Ntune). Setting the clocks in Ntune shows the correct new clocks in GPU-Z. Atleast this is how it behaves on my system.

-Stigma

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT softmodded to Quadro
    Need more info. If running XP, read this:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2543408&postcount=180

EDIT:

As far as I know, in Vista when you set the clocks on one you're setting them on both. If there's no increase, then you're throttling. I don't have SLI, so your best bet is to open up the manual or use search here.

EDIT2:

I read the stickies:

http://home.comcast.net/~boogie3/Riva guides 1.htm

BUT

So, without any first-hand knowledge, I would say it *might* be overclocking (overclock the first is same as second) it, but I don't know for sure. Search is your new best friend. Please prove me wrong :nerd:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. TheStigma

TheStigma Member

Yea im using XP I allready read that Vista had some issues.

Ok, so from your information it seems I will have to find a way to disable the vista spesific stuff. Thats a little vague, but it refers to the release notes, so I assume thats someplace to start atleast.

Thanks for your input.

-Stigma

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

2.07 will probably add support for SLI + Vista specific overclocking under XP too.

5. foci

foci Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 1024MB

Sounds great! Now XP users with SLI format (including myself) can independently OC the shader clocks.

Thanks for the info...

6. virtualrain

virtualrain Member

GPU:
    3090 Strix OC
    In SLI the card in the secondary slot will match clocks with the card in the primary slot so it's really only necessary to overclock the card in the priimary slot...

From the SLI FAQ at SLI Zone...

At any rate, given the caveat at the end, the best way to overclock in SLI is to overclock and test each card individually and then flash the BIOS. Use the lower overclocking achiever as the clock setting for both cards.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  7. Paparac1978

Paparac1978 New Member

I have a question. When can I download this 2.07 version of RivaTuner?

8. pumbertot

pumbertot Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    erm probably when its released.:stewpid: