RivaTuner Hooks Loader has stopped working

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by corbor, Oct 12, 2019.

1. corbor

corbor Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Rx 5700 Xt
    Hello, I'm having an issue with RivaTuner that I cant seem to fix with any version of Afterburner or direct RTSS downloads from guru3d.com. Here's a pic, I have RTSS displaying my temps in the tray but it wont load the full app for whatever reason.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else had this kind of issue? I've looked up many variants of "RTSS Hooks Loader has stopped working", but mainly see posts about how you should install the latest version of Afterburner.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    unpatched install of windows 8.

install 8.1 and all updates.

3. corbor

corbor Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Rx 5700 Xt
    I'm actually running windows 10, should be up to date (OS was installed about two weeks ago).

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. corbor

corbor Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Rx 5700 Xt
    Ahh no worries, thanks for responding but unfortunately I still have the same error.

I downloaded the DX file and installed just fine, then for VC AIO I googled and found two links.

First one was http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_redistributable_runtimes_aio_repack.html that installed mostly fine (a few installations weren't able to complete, but the error was generic and assumed it was because I had a version installed already).

The second was from this link https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/. I checked out the .bat file to make sure it wasn't doing anything outside the scope of the files it came with, and it installed correctly.

After both I rebooted and tried to run without any success. Any other directions I'm able to go?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    have you got a compatible display driver installed?

7. corbor

corbor Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Rx 5700 Xt
    I'm sure I do, I have the driver for my gpu downloaded from the manufacturer page and haven't run into any issues with anything but this. Does RTSS have any error logs I could start debugging? I'm using a Radeon RX 5700 XT.

I actually did a quick google search and saw an older post you made a comment on, "sounds like recent drivers are being used with an older RTSS install."

Could it be possible that I need a specific version of RTSS to run nicely with my drivers?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    > I'm using a Radeon RX 5700 XT.

with which driver? the release driver for the 5700XT had broken legacy DX functionality.

> Could it be possible that I need a specific version of RTSS to run nicely with my drivers?

You need to be on 7.2.2 or newer because the digital certificates used in older versions was revoked.