Rivatuner and KB938979

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by plguzman, Aug 8, 2007.

1. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    Defo not alone, i know of lots of people using Vista x64 and did use rivatuner for years, but because of this driver signing there is currently no option for them to adjust fan speeds etc.
    Microsoft are playing 'big brother' and its a right royal pain.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There is an opinion for hardcore fans, but that's rather expensive: purchase your own signature ($500 per year) and sign anything you wish on your system (including RivaTuner).

3. i'm going to find out more about purchasing these digital signatures. perhaps it's high time someone took action!

4. Unwinder

http://www.verisign.com/products-se...e-signing/digital-ids-code-signing/index.html

After purchase the process is rather simple, you just need to prove you're who you are... either an individual or a company.
    Then you get your private key allowing you to sign anything during your signature lifetime period. The most sad thing is that in my understanding these money are payed for NOTHING. I was expecting that the money are spent on code analyst's job, which is analyzing the code internals, but they don't analyze ANYTHING YOU SIGG AT ALL. So even if you're writing a virus and have a money, you can easily sign it then damage a lot of systems until M$ realize it and revoke a signature like they did it with ATSIV. Unfortunately, it is just a question of money, not security as Micro$oft telling.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It looks like Comodo does signing for 179€/year and 500€/3 years. But anyway, disabling test signing still work for me (or actually not, my DVB-T receiver driver just did some really odd tricks to enable Test Mode and it was stuck in that till I installed new drivers for that card which obviously disabled that trick because they are now digitally signed).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  6. I'm not sure about which tools one needs to use in order to sign code once they have purchased their certificate. I haven't got any.

7. Unwinder

signtool.exe
    It is included in many Microsoft SDK/DDKs.

8. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    and of course reduced ability to watch DRM protected content...

9. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    Agreed, I did a quick a batch script which a) loads rivatuner64.sys driver via using atsiv b) calls rivatuner.exe /S to load startup settings and then c) calls rivatuner.exe /T to start rivatuner proper and put in systray. works an absolute champ.

Sure, MS don't like atsiv and they've added it to the defender malware list but when defender detects it just hit always allow. Not a big problem.

If MS add the cert used to sign atsiv to the vista kernel revocation list then we'll have to find a new solution but a) it might be some time before this happens and b) it'll be done via windows update so can be ignored for now (until it gets included in a major service pack, then it gets hard to avoid)

10. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    In fact, here's a copy of the script if it's of use to some.. copy and paste script into a file, call it something like run_rivatuner.bat. put atsiv.exe in your rivatuner program files directory and modify the first couple of lines (if needed) to point to the atsiv.exe and rivatuner.exe executables. run batch script to check it works, if all looks good, put a shortcut to the batch script in your startup folder.

set atsivcmd=c:"\program files (x86)\rivatuner v2.02\atsiv.exe"
    set rivacmd=c:"\program files (x86)\rivatuner v2.02\rivatuner.exe"
    rem note, the batch script "start" command below doesn't work if you put the open " before the c:

rem unload rivatuner64 driver (if already loaded)
    %atsivcmd% -u rivatuner64
    rem load rivatuner64 driver
    %atsivcmd% -r \registry\machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\rivatuner64

rem apply low level startup settings (rivatuner exits afterward)
    %rivacmd% /S
    rem run rivatuner minimised to tray
    start %rivacmd% /T

(edit: there should be no space in the \registery\machine.... string above, that's the guru3d forum inserting it for some reason)

11. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    Is there noway we can persuade you unwinder to get a signed driver?...
    Sexual bribes, money, begging!..
    My 8800GTS is crying out for rivatuner, since the latest microsoft update ive had to resort to running the fans at stock, no overclocking my card, and temps are killing me.

I know Nvidia should be addressing these issues with their drivers but you know what Nvidia's like!. they need to employ you :)

12. plguzman

plguzman Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 4870X2
    Sam, one noobish question.

It is possible to run this script minimized?.

Also, I had problems running the script as you have it. I had to modify the path of the driver. Mine looks like:

rem unload rivatuner64 driver (if already loaded)
    %atsivcmd% -u rivatuner64.sys
    rem load rivatuner64 driver
    %atsivcmd% -f rivatuner64.sys

But it works fine :)

13. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    yes - go to the properties of the shortcut you made in your startup folder and you'll find a minimise option!

glad it was of some help!

(Btw - the reason for the driver unload before load was I got blue screens whilst testing when the rivatuner64 driver is loaded twice in a row :)

edit: I've just noticed there's the forum posting with the script is showing an extra space in the \registry\machine\... string which isn't in the posting I submitted (I've noticed several times that the guru3d forums do this from time to time). maybe that was the issue..

14. plguzman

plguzman Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 4870X2
    Oh lol. It was indeed noobish :)

15. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    You can patch some file to get rid of watermarks afaik:smoke:

16. Unwinder

I've not accepted NV's job offer a couple years ago and I feel that it was pretty good decision. If I were there - you won't see any public software by me anymore. "No more RivaTuner" was one of job conditions they put in front of me and that was one of the reasons of not going there.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There should be a community (funded by donations) that signs freeware/open source programs. To me it look like VeriSign is ripping money for nothing (if I am not mistaken). You can get 3 year code signing from Comodo for 500€. VeriSign offers one year for $499.

18. Surgio

Surgio New Member

GPU:
    8800 gtx
    hi at all, i'm an italian user of rivatuner...today i installed the windows vista x64 patch and now rivatuner not work, cause of this driver certification.... :bang:

Someone has get some solution to this? thx!

p.s. This patch su**! :puke3:

19. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Member

GPU:
    Visiontek 4850
    I had 8 new updates today as well. After installing them I couldn't use RT. After uninstalling them, RT works fine again. I will try to Install them one by one later on to see which one is conflicting with RT, but for now, if you uninstall them, it should work.

I'm pretty sure KB932596 is the new update that is causing issues with RT. I installed every update besides that one and it's working fine.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  20. Surgio

Surgio New Member

GPU:
    8800 gtx

il try to uninstall this thx! :smoke: