RivaTuner and Asus Smart Doctor

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Salsah, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Salsah

Salsah Member

GPU:
    2 X Asus GTX260 216SP 896
    Hi, I need help here. I encounter a problem when I have RivaTuner and Asus Smart Doctor on my machine.

On my rig, I have 2 Asus gtx260 216sp with SLI. Have the latest driver, RivaTuner, RealTemp, and Coolbit. RivaTuner able to detact 2 GPU temp, 2 fans speed and able to show it on gadget.

However, when I left it to run for a while after setup the gadget (just normal internet browsing about 15 minutes), Asus Smart Doctor pops up and mentioned my 2nd graphic card fan is under 350rpm. I switched on Smart Doctor temp screen and back to fan screen it shown back to normal status (temp 45C, fan's speed 1223rpm). After about 15 minutes again, it pops up with same message. And the third time it pops up saying my 2nd graphic card is overheated. However, even at the third time, when I switch temp screen and fan screen of Smart Doctor, it shown all reading back to normal.

Note that I tried to set the fan speed as auto control or smart control on Asus Smart Doctor and disable low level fan control on RivaTuner for both graphic cards. However, I still got the same pops up. It even caused my window to hang and 2nd graphic card fan is run on full speed. Force restart on my ATX reset button and things back to normal.

Currently I turned off RivaTunner and try to find a solution to have both coexist, RivaTuner to monitor all my system status and Smart Doctor to control my fans. Is that possible?

Please leave some comment if there is a better choice or way to set this up. Many thanks in advance. Cheers.

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

both programs are rallying for the same readings / resources, so collapsing and causing you troubles.

You should not use more than 1 hardware / monitor program at the time, to avoid issues.

You can use Rivatuner to control your fans; don't see why it's not worknig.

Also, you can try MSI afterburner

3. Salsah

Salsah Member

GPU:
    Thanks for letting me know that both are using the same resources. In that case I will try to unistall Asus Smart Doctor and see how it works.

As for MSI afterburner, will it caused the same problem if I am using it together with RivaTuner?

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Yes ,

Use only 1 program.

As for which one, test as many as you like and choose one.

I've been with Rivatuner for a while.

Tested MSI Afterburner also, but I am tied to Riva somehow.........

I had ASus SmartDoctor installed, but I uninstalled long time ago......
    The only reason id use it it's to change voltage on my asus card, but that can be done with afterburner anyways.......

I'll try afterburner since it's based in riva, more modern and it has some neat feautres and it's easy to use.

the fan control on afterburner and riva, it's waaaaaay beter thant smart doctor, not to say the other functionalities they have and that smart doctor completely lacks of them......

in riva for example, you can install realtemp pluging to monitor cpu in the same charts as everything else.

Afterburner or riva are much more powerful.

then, you can try:
    Rivatuner
    MSI Afterburner

choose one :)

/edit I took ATT out since you're on nvidia cards .

5. Salsah

Salsah Member

GPU:
    Thanks for analyzing those choices and information for me.

I have chosen RivaTuner. Yesterday I spent sometime on tuning the fan profile with GPU core temp event setting as well as the gadget with realtemp plugin as you mentioned. Included also creating schedule task to avoid UAC. ^^

But I am not quite understand why you mentioned you need SmartDoctor to adjust the voltage? I thought RivaTuner have that function as well.

As mentioned on my profile, I have 2 GTX260 with SLI. I haven't fully read through all reply on Riva basic guide thread (my bad, I know) and not sure this has brought up by someone before. My case are stated below:

Tuned two graphic card fans with 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% fan duty seperately (coz system setting and fan profile is seperated for both graphic cards). Set launcher and scheduler that fan profile for GPU0 based on GPU0 temp and fan profile for GPU1 based on GPU1 temp. Double checked and all are configured correctly.

Running DragonAge benchmark and found that GPU0 temp keep increasing (from 40C to 65C) but GPU0 fan is still 40% duty; while GPU1 temp remain at 50C but GPU1 fan is increasing till 80% duty. = =!!

It looks like GPU1 fan is looking at GPU0 temp. Then I double checked again and found that my setting is still correct. No misconfigured. After few minutes of finding, I realize that when I make any changes, I need to change the target adapter from GPU0 and GPU1 or wise versa then click apply. Then, everything is back to the way I want at the setting.

Note, the fans control I am using is drive level control. And my driver is version 191.xx. So my conclusion is either I forgot to click apply or my driver is not supported by RivaTuner at the moment.

^^

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

ummmm try to use MSI afterburner fan control to see if it works

I havd ati cards, so I am not famiiar with the specifics for your card.

With riva, on my cards, you need to do some tweak to change voltages.

With smartdoctor and afterburner, couldn't be easier.

Maybe you can post your case on riva forum here,to see if somebody else can help you.

regards, D.
    /edit : I mean to open new thread specific to the problem you have right now.........

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009