RivaTuner 2.04 is on the way!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 7, 2007.

1. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    Unwinder 10x for replying

I'll wait for 2.04 within a week :) I woun't install new draivers.

2. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    Here is 2 questions :

1.RivaTuner 2.05 will support Shader independent overclocking or even 2.04 will support?

2.RivaTuner 2.05/2.04 will support Shader independent overclocking in XP x86?

3. DarkNiko

DarkNiko New Member

GPU:
    Point of View / 8800 GTX / 768 Mb
    Hi, sorry for bothering you again. I sent you a PM. Did you receive it ?

Cheers,
    DarkNiko.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Start reading please!!! There are direct answers for both questions in post #22. The thread is not that long and you need just couple of minutes to read it completely!

5. Unwinder

Yes, I'll send you 2.04 tomorrow in the morning from the office (I'm currently @ home).

All

Guys, I've marked "experienced" word with bold font in my request not just for fun. So don't feel offence please, but I will not send a beta to 0-post or 1-post users contacting me via PM. I need _experienced_ people for testing, not thouse who just wish to play with shader domain clock ASAP. Thanks for understanding.

6. DarkNiko

DarkNiko New Member

GPU:
    Point of View / 8800 GTX / 768 Mb
    Thanks for your reply my friend. See you tomorrow. Thanks again, as always. ;)

7. neothe0ne

neothe0ne Member

GPU:
    512mb XFX Radeon HD4870
    So does that mean you've already tested the other 8000 series cards, like the G84 / 8600GT? I know I wouldn't end up with a beta anyway from your previous post, but just wanted clarification.

8. Unwinder

No, it doesn't. I don't have any G8x based samples for testing besides 8800GTX, so I don't even know if new separate shader domain clock control algorithm applies to G80 only or to whole G8x family. But any G84 owner can easily verify it using 2.03 and adjusting clocks with it (under Vista!!!). If shader clock doesn't change as before - it is available for this family too.

9. Unwinder

Guys, I’d like to share with you some more important G80 overclocking related specifics introduced in 163.67:

1) The driver’s clock programming routine is optimized and it causes unwanted effects when you’re trying to change shader domain clock only. Currently the driver uses just ROP domain clock only to see if clock generator programming have to be performed or not. For example, if your 8800GTX ROP clock is set to 612MHz and you need to change shader domain clock only (directly or via specifying custom or shader/ROP clock ratio) without changing current ROP clock, the driver will optimize clock frequency programming seeing that ROP clock is not changed and it simply won’t change the clocks, even if requested shader domain clock has been changed. The workaround is pretty simple: when you change shader clock always combine it with ROP clock change (for example, if your 8800GTX ROP clock is set to 612MHz and you’ve changed shader clock, simply reset ROP clock to default 576MHz, apply it, then return it to 612MHz again to get new shader clock applied). I hope that this unwanted optimization will be removed in future ForceWare, and now please just keep it in mind while playing with shader clock programming using RT 2.04 and 163.67.
    2) Currently Vista driver puts some limitations on ROP/shader domain clocks ratio you’re allowed to set. Most likely they are hardware clock generator architecture related and hardware simply cannot work (or cannot work stable) when domain clocks are too asynchronous. For example, on my 8800GTX the driver simply refuses to set the clocks with shader/ROP ratio within 1.0 – 2.0 range (default ratio is 1350/575 = 2.34), but it accepts the clocks programmed with ratio within 2.3 – 2.5 range. Considering that the driver no longer changes domain clocks synchronically and all o/c tools (RT 2.03, ATITool, nTuner, PowerStrip) currently change ROP clock only, that results in rather interesting effect: you won’t be able to adjust ROP clock as high as before. Once it gets too far from (or too close to) shader clock and shader/ROP clock ratio is out of range – the driver refuses to set such clock. Many of you already noticed this effect, seeing that the driver simply stops increasing ROP clock after a certain dead point with 163.67.

10. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Thats bad news...so we won't get as a high an OC as before?

11. Unwinder

It looks like you will, if you'll clock shader domain as before. But you won't with fixed shader domain clock.

12. Unwinder

Important note for 2.04 beta testers:

In the latest build of 2.04 (2.04 test 7) I've added an ability of setting ShaderClockRatio to -1, which can be used to force RivaTuner to recalculate desired Shader/ROP ratio automatically by dividing default shader clock by default ROP clock.
    So if you set ShaderClockRatio = -1 and change ROP clock with RT, it will increase shader clock using you card's BIOS defined ratio (e.g. 1350/576=2.34 on GTX, 1188/513 = 2.32 on GTS etc). If you wish to go further, you may still override the ratio, for example increase shader clock by specifying greater ratio (e.g. ShaderClockRatio = 2.5).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  13. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

Tested it, works good.

That registry setting and the following overclocking is really straightforward (though a third slider will make it more intuitive ;)), I've come up with the value of 2.25 for the ratio and adjusted the videocard to the speeds I've become used to prior to 163.67.

Stability: the card is neither hotter nor more unstable than it should be and RT is also working well. After running shader-intensive tests in 3DMark06, there were no artifacts, corruption, hiccups, crashes or "driver stopped responding" errors of any sort. (Vista Ultimate 64)

The overclocking is correct and acknowledged, as per the observations of Everest Ultimate Engineer Edition. The following screenshot shows it worked:
    http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/6388/temptn7.jpg

Well done and keep up that work :)

14. plguzman

plguzman Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 4870X2
    That's good news. I'm waiting for 2.04 before any driver update. Until now, 163.44.

15. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    works well here too!

before using the 163.67 drivers, I was using overclocked core and shader speeds of 648 and 1674 (via modded gpu bios which set initial core and shader speeds to 576 and 1468 so when the gpu core was increased to 648, the shader ran at 1674). so now running drivers 163.67 and the 2.04 test7 RT I set shaderclockratio to 1674/648=2.58 and I get the same shader speed as before (when the core is set to 648).

I can now revert my 8800 back to the original bios (which sets core 576 shader 1350) and yet still overclock the shader using these new drivers and new rivatuner.

16. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

Damn you and your advantages! :)

My card runs at 702 MHz GPU now (5616 megapixel/second) with ~1710 MHz shader domain and ~1655 MHz memory, I think this is largely decent from an approximately mid-range videocard, the setback is that you have 128 processors inside the shader domain while I have 32.

I accept monetary donations to steal more processors into the shader domain. :approval:

17. DavidXPS

DavidXPS New Member

Your update list was very thorough, but i did not see any mention of Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare drivers. In 2.03 you added databases for ForceWare 158.22, 158.27, 160.03, 160.04 and 162.15 (hardly used anymore).

What about updated databases for the rest of the newer 163.67, 163.44 (BioShock), 163.16, 165.01,162.18 etc, etc?

18. Unwinder

What about reading 2.03 release notes? I've added 158.22, 158.27, 160.03, 160.04 and 162.15 databases in 2.02 a few months ago, and 2.03 already added databases for 162.18, 162.22, 162.50, 163.16 and 163.44.
    2.04 will add database just for 163.67, which is the only driver published after 2.03 launch.

19. Captn

Captn Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS(G92)512 x2 S

Not to get off subject or anything, but I would be willing to pay a small fee for a wonderful program like this. I think $10 is a really small fee for such a great program. Just a thought. After all Unwinders brains & time are worth something.:smoke:

:banana:

20. DavidXPS

DavidXPS New Member