RivaTuner 2.0 RC16 is online

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, May 22, 2006.

1. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    Such a long way we've come since the early inerations of RT.....looking at this new version leaves me in awww....

Thanks for taking the time to do it right Unwinder, thanks for being the perfectionist that we all know you are.

It's becoming an ideal tool of my dream too;)

2. mykeszone

mykeszone New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512mb
    RivaTuner Rocks the PARTY!!

Thanks Unwinder. A cold one or two awaits you at the local BrewPub. Let me know when your in town!

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for your kind words, guys.
    I'm on your service ;)

4. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon New Member

I have a weird problem using riva tuner. I have 6800 GS pci-e, and XG modifeid drivers. I have never used official drivers, becouse of the problems with cpu usage. My cpu usage was fine with XG drivers, and image quality is very good. I had no problems, cpu usage was 0% when computer was idle, and 2-10% when winamp was on. Today I have decided to install riva tuner. I did so, but then problems occurred with cpu usage. It went from 0% in idle to 80%-100%!!!

I have uninstalled riva tuner, and I used system restore, and that fixed problem, but it is not gone. In idle cpu usage is now 20%+, and when I am listening to winamp it goes from 20% to 40%. I don`t know what to do ( reinstall windows might fix problem, but I do not want to do that).

Is it possible Riva tuner has bug, or something that is causing this problem. I had no problems until I installed riva tuner. I am using win x64. Any advice?

EDIT: I have uninstalled xg drivers, and installed them back on. It works all perfect, no problems, cpu usage is back to normal. I do not have riva tuner installed.

Last edited: May 26, 2006

5. Unwinder

Then your problem is definitively caused by something else. And I strongly recommend you to avoid using RT if you completely don't understand PC internals (and I clearly see that you don't, judging by your posting).

6. Blast

Blast Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
    Thanks for all you time and hard work to release this new version of Rivatuner Unwinder. :dave:

7. slmhofy

slmhofy New Member

memory clock slider will not save

Probably a not soo intelligent question, but I looked and couldn't find anything. Does any one know why or can point me toward the thread where I can find out the following. When I adjust the OC'n sliders, test, then save for startup and then attempt to "Apply" or "OK", a pop up comes at me and says that "Startup settings you've made may prevent the driver from restoring desired memory clock after reboot. Do you want to correct it now?" If I click on yes or fight it by clicking no, I can not get it to save the memory overclock. I got it to work one time but of course I kept tweaking and ended up messing it up. The core clock saves fine, just not the memory. I've tried 3 different drivers and I have a v-moded vanilla EVGA 7900gt.

TIA

8. Unwinder

What memory clock are you trying to set? If it is beyond the range of clocks available in the control panel's memory clock adjustment slider, then RTFM:

Q: I'm having problems with applying overclocking at Windows startup on my GeForce 7900GT. As soon as I set memory clock above 800MHz and reboot the system, core clock stays overclocked but memory clock resets to defaults. Can you help me?
    A: It is normal behavior for latest NVIDA driver's control panel, which is applying clock frequencies at Windows startup. Control panes is protected against too aggressive overclocking and it refuse to set the clocks beyond the ranges available via its own clock frequency adjustment sliders. To avoid the problem, you may configure RivaTuner to force it to apply desired clocks at Windows startup itself instead of allowing the control panel to control this process. Do do it you have to:

1. Force RivaTuner to use its own daemon for setting desired clocks at Windows startup. To do it tick "Use alternate startup daemon" option in driver-level overclocking properties tab.
    2. Prevent NVIDIA control panel from applying the clocks at Windows startup to avoid possible settings interference. To do it open PowerUser tab, load RivaTuner.rtd database, then expand the bottom node (Windows startup) and delete NvCplDaemon entry, containing the link to NVIDIA control panel's startup daemon.

9. parodius4

parodius4 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 7900GT TOP
    Riva Tuner question

Hello, can someone who knows tell me?

I use RT only for monitoring as I have always used Atitool for overclocking, but RT's monitoring is simply the best I could find.

1.But of course I switch through RT's functions from time to time and in the FAQ section I read that changes you make in RT stay active when RT is closed or even deinstalled.
    How can I make sure that everything is at default (like a fresh system) and the only changes are made by atitool (everything apart from pure changing frequencies is not my cup of tea)?
    Is the "Set Driver's defaults" (or so) function enough to do it?

2.Other thing I read in the FAQs is that any sort of rendering artifacts is a sign of a physically damaged unit of the GPU. Does this only apply for unlocking masked pixel pipelines or for any videocard that renders artifacts?
    I'm just asking because I always thought you just increase frequencies until you get artifacts and then go back a certain amount (which of course always worked out for me), but I don't want to have a slightly damaged GPU after that.

Thanks for answers
    parodius

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  10. RacingTech

RacingTech New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT EE 520M VIVO
    hi Unwinder, thanks for your good Riva Turner. One thing to ask u, does it support ambient tempature for 7900gt? If yes, can u tell me how to set it? Thanks!

11. Unwinder

There is nothing you can set. Reference design 7900GTs are not equipped with ambient temperature sensor.

12. RacingTech

RacingTech New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT EE 520M VIVO
    Hello Unwinder, then how high can i clock my memory so that it will not be too hot? By the way i already change to zalman vf700 cooler and the memory already been sink.

13. Unwinder

Do you realize that your questin has no sense, because each card has its own unique max stable clocks? Study overclocking basics.

14. HHawk

HHawk Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900 XTX (watercooled)
    It's been a while since I used RivaTuner, but let me make you some congratulations for the improvements over the past time Unwinder. Really good progress.

Though I have a few questions; currently I am still using ATI Tool mainly for overclocking & underclocking my (watercooled) Asus X1900XTX.

Now I have a few questions concerning RivaTuner (yeah it's been awhile and before I used it for my GF6800 Ultra card) :)

1. Is it possible to underclock my X1900XTX to value's below 300 memory and core? And what would be the best setting (read: coolest) for my X1900XTX? Of if you can point me to a site / forum which has that kind of information, I would be very grateful.

2. Same as point 1 but then with overclocking.

3. Where can I change the voltage settings in Rivatuner for my X1900XTX? Under Power User...?

4. Is RivaTuner more advanced then ATI Tool? Cause ATI Tool is starting to annoy me, with some random crashes lately. Also there is the movie-bug with ATI Tool (versions 6.4 / 6.5); evey single time when you watch a movie it resets the core and memory speeds to different values. Doe Rivatuner have this same problem?

Had some more questions, but I seem to have forgotten them... ;)

Hopefully you can answer the questions I provided. Thanks in advance.

15. Unwinder

Answered in documentation. Context help clearly tells you about MinClockLimit / MaxClockLimit registry entries, allowing you to change clock limits.

Answered in FAQ. I'll never provide voltage controls in RT's GUI. I'm responsible for the things users do with my software, and it is the best way to allow noobs to burn their hardware with simple slider drag.
    Power users can always access voltage regulator via the command line. But I won't publicly comment this way due to safety reasons.

I strongly recommend you to avoid any comparisions between compeeting tools in this forum. It is more than stupid to ask "Is RT better than AT" in RT's forum, as well as ask "Is AT better than RT" in ATITools forum. The forums are mostly visited with fanboys, so you'll never get an objective answer.
    ATITool is a nice tool, and Michael is a good friend of mine. And both tools have their advantages and disadvantages.

Strangest question ever... May I ask why is it supposed to have the same problems, if it is completely different software,

16. HHawk

HHawk Member

GPU:
    Okay thanks for your answers... I did check the FAQ, but it didn't say anything about voltages and stuff.

I think I will stick to ATI Tool in the mean time. Thanks though.

17. parodius4

parodius4 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 7900GT TOP
    Hi guys,

anybody read my questions 8 posts above?

Thanks anyway

18. Unwinder

Hard to beleive, sorry. You've not even peeked in FAQ:

Your choice. Less users ignoring documentation = less troubles for me.

19. HHawk

HHawk Member

GPU:
    I did look into the FAQ, but since it only contained stuff about GeForce cards, I thought Rivatuner wasn't able to change the voltages of my X1900XTX card.

And I am seriously not planning to change voltage-settings which were meant for nVidia cards.

20. Unwinder

Using just a bit of logic, you can come to conclusion that "Set Driver's defaults" affects ForceWare driver's settings only. It will revert ForceWare's settings (which you could potentially tweak via RT) to defaults, but won't reset all low-level settings (e.g. low-level AGP configuration, NVStrap settings, refresh override etc) to defaults (if you've messed with them, of course).

Sorry, but I seriously doubt that you could read it in RT's FAQ. There is no such info there. Rendering artifacts appearing after unlocking bad unit has nothing common with rendering artifacts in general.