RivaTuner 2.0 RC15.3 is on the way :)

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Dec 20, 2004.

1. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Just wanted to say thx to Unwinder, RT 15.3 was quite a gift around the holidays! Thanks, Rivatuner rocks and has helped me so much.

2. omgwtf

omgwtf Guest

I had to sign up just to say "thank you". I actually have something else, too. RC3 works like a charm on Windows with all of my nVidia cards. I prefer GNU/Linux instead of Windows, so I beg you to give us (GNU/Linux users) soft-modding abilities for our brand new nVidia 6 -series cards. :D

I'd like to get more pipelines and vertex sharders into use on GNU/Linux as well. I guess you're not willing to make the sensitive soft-modding information public, say OpenSource. ;)

Once again, lots of thanks! I just have to wait the GNU/Linux version of Rivatuner to "hit the market"!

EDIT: Oh, haven't tested Rivatuner under Winex or Crossover or anything... Is there any possibility to get it work, somebody? :O

3. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    OMGWTF: You do realise that you can patch your BIOS using a BIOS patch script to unlock the pipes permanently (and then they will, of course, run under Linux), right? The scripts are included in RT.

4. omgwtf

omgwtf Guest

Yes, I'm aware of the HW modding ability. I guess I'm not doing that, just in case if there's problems with the card. It could be quite hard to update the BIOS to a broken card. I prefer Rivatuner, it's the clean way.

And yes, I know there's NVClock available to GNU/Linux. If Unwinder doesn't have time/isn't willing to do/(or pick a reason) Linux version of Rivatuner, maybe he could do what NVCS developer(s) did with NVClock. Share the code. I appreciate the work Unwinder has done and is doing, but I think that the fun should be shared if not done by himself.

Cheers.

5. Desmondo

Desmondo Member

GPU:
    InnoVision 6800GT PCI-E
    Hullo Unwinder!;)

Yesterday i received my InnoVision 6800 GT PCI-E and I would like to ask is it OK, that RT 15.3 identifies the core NV40? (16/6 thats OK). Or is it just bios related? (Should be NV45 or so, isn't it?)

PS: Checked bench scores, everything is fine. Not a "fake card" like MSI 6800GT with 12/5:D

Oh one more thing! At the beginning I beta tested the first "pipe" unlock feature on my XpertVision 6800NU with the alpha you sent me. The first version didn't work, then I sold the card and bought a 6800GT. The guy who bought it just tried the mod on the card with RivaT 15.3 and the extra pipes and vertex are fully functional. (We thought they are defected, remember?:D )

Best regards!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  6. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

There is _no_ NV45 core. It is the same marketing bull**** like NV38, which is in fact a regular NV35.
    NV40 GPU family identifier is hardwired in all "NV45" chips.

7. Desmondo

Desmondo Member

GPU:
    InnoVision 6800GT PCI-E
    As I thought:) Thanks for your reply!:thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  8. omgwtf

omgwtf Guest

No answer from Unwinder yet. I've read the FAQ but I didn't get all the answers I wanted. So if I go and use NV40BIOSHwUnitsMaskEliminator script to unlock certain pipes and shaders, will I be able to relock them in future? As you said, it would be permanent. Too bad.

I have Club 3D 6800 LE as a primary display adapter. It goes 16x1,5vp just fine. Every game and benchmark tool works perfectly on Windows.

But still I'm not happy to mod VGA BIOS. Updating MB BIOS is ok, but this one isn't that simple. If something goes wrong, I don't have a backup of my previous BIOS. And I guess it's not that easy to take the BIOS chip off from VGA card (at least compared to MB BIOS).

Still hoping to see Rivatuner on GNU/Linux, at least the ability to softmod pipes and shaders. :cool:

Thanks for your reverse-engineering of NV40 and giving us this great tool, Unwinder.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2005
  9. Banditsteals

Banditsteals Guest

10. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    y'ar , the nv40/45 core is the same, which explains why both have broken on chip video processors. This is my last nVidia card for quite a while....

11. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Well, it's not actually all thaaaat hard to backup your VGA bios - nvflash has a flag that will allow you to do that. That said, I don't necessarily recommend doing it. I wouldn't, as I value my warranty too much. But yes, I understand your point. Though I obviously can't answer for Unwinder as my understanding of how NVStrap works is veeeery limited, I suspect NVStrap would have to be entirely re-written to work under a different OS. It may even be that that method of doing things wouldn't work under Linux at all.

I also recall Unwinder saying that he would never make a Linux port of RT, but I can't remember where, so I could be misremembering this.

12. omgwtf

omgwtf Guest

That's too bad. There's lots of people using nVidia's cards on GNU/Linux desktops because of the lousy drivers that ATi has to offer. That said, I guess RT (or some features of it) would be needed on Linux as well. Hopefully some developer will implement softmodding features to e.g. NVClock.

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't aware of Unwinder's statement. Although I'd like to see that written by Unwinder himself, just in case. ;)

Well, maybe in future softmodding is possible under Linux, too. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2005
  13. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It is not permanent. You can restore original pipeline configuration by flashing original BIOS.

Run RivaTuner.exe with /BI (or /BIOSIMAGE) command line switch to exract your original BIOS from flashrom chip.

14. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    As a matter of fact, FireGL drivers work quite good on Linux. And with the newest FireGL drivers, FireGL X2 is almost as fast as the Quadro FX 3000. ATI is definitely improving.