riva tuner & 6800

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by slunge, Jun 7, 2005.

1. slunge

slunge Guest

Hi all...

Just got my new inno3d 6800NU, pipelines locked down due to artifacts, but vertex unit unlocked...

Ive replaced the standard cooler with a nv silencer 5 (with articsilver3 on the core, thermal pads that came with it on the memory) and temperatures are roughly idling at 40 deg C, under load at 55-60 absoulte tops..

ive overclocked to 395/870 and performance seems to be fairly decent (10500 in 3dmark03), now the problem is..

using rivatuners hardware monitor, it shows the VID as 1.0 solidly, now i thought on these NU cards the VID should be 1.2 underload, from what ive noticed ive not seen it move.... which leads me on to my second problem, since applying the new cooler when starting up the pc, i seem to hear an intermittent buzzing noise (almost like the fan is buzzing - like when u lower the voltage on some fans), in windows it seems to dissapear...

anyone had any experience of these problems??

many thanks

2. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6800 PCIe 256mb
    Why do you bother about that? As long as your card overclocks well and runs without any problem, why do you care? it may be rivatuner displaying wrong info. Rivatuner doesn't show my core VID at all!

3. slunge

slunge Guest

Im bothered for two reasons, one that if it is actually running at 1.0 then at default 1.2, or 1.4 which ive considered boosting it to anyways, it will clock even better...

and im trying to work out if thats part of the source of the buzzing noise ;)
    chances are its just rivatuner reporting it wrong, but no harm in checking:cool:

and LOL... ive been so long since i posted here.. check out the old rig in the sig --->

on mobile XP 223x11, 2450 mhz
    400W psu
    160gb sata WD JD, 80gb ide WD JB
    1024MB twinmos SP 2,2,2,5 223
    NF7-S
    Inno3d 6800

thought i would include it if it helps solve this buzzing noise.. it cant be good :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  4. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    6800 Flashed to GT 16xP 6xVS @ 410C 920M w/ VF700
    I had the same problem with rivatuner (15.4)
    try this, open hardware monitoring, click setup, then click on core vid (next to the tick) and then setup, and then click more, next click on autoselect. If this still gives u an incorrect reading, just try experimenting with the interpretation mode setting until u get the correct value, a wrong setting will not damage ur pc.
    btw, I thought the stock core vid voltage on a 6800nu was 1.1v, not 1.2. (I could be wrong)

As for the noisy fan, first find which 1 is making the noise, then, whilst its switched off, gently push down on the centre of the fan to make sure its correctly seated, next make sure theres nothing stuck in the blades like hair or dust.

just to add since ur thinking of upping the volts, I got absolutly no extra performance or overclockability by going to 1.4v, my card runs just as well at 1.2v, but with cooler temps.

5. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    Vcore for normal 6800's is 1.1 AFAIK, but maybe it clocks it down for 2d mode

and with a boost on the Vcore your card should clock higher

another member here, x3r0, got his 6800le up to 400 with 1.1 v, modded to 1.4 volt he made it all the way to 460

6. slunge

slunge Guest

Ahhh, thanks for the reply, i will give it a go. From what ive read, 6800LE's run at 1.1 and 6800NU's are 1.2, im not that worried about temps and im running on the low side anyhow, i might give it a go only prob is it means i gotta plug in a floppy drive in to my pc :O

7. skl

skl Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOxic
    My MSI 6800 was default 1.3v, oc'd 390. I've made 1.4v mod, now max 3dmark 05 clocks are 419. Not so big difference imo.

8. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    6800 Flashed to GT 16xP 6xVS @ 410C 920M w/ VF700
    My card refuses to go above 410 core, regardless of voltage. whenever I have gone above 410 I get lots of graphics corruption and reboots. I guess that my graphics core is not as high quality as some others out there,
    the memory on the overhand overclocks very well, Iv had it up to 960 stable, but I run at 920 to keep it safe.

9. slunge

slunge Guest

I had the same problem with rivatuner (15.4)
    try this, open hardware monitoring, click setup, then click on core vid (next to the tick) and then setup, and then click more, next click on autoselect. If this still gives u an incorrect reading, just try experimenting with the interpretation mode setting until u get the correct value, a wrong setting will not damage ur pc.
    btw, I thought the stock core vid voltage on a 6800nu was 1.1v, not 1.2. (I could be wrong)

thanks alot, this fixed the monitoring problem :)