Riva 2.09 and Fan Profile T-min bug?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by zoggy, May 12, 2008.

1. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB Superclocked
    Video card: Evga 8800 GTS 640mb
    Video Driver: nvidia driver 169.21

When using Riva 2.09 and setting up fixed fan profile everything works fine, but when using Auto the T min does not stay at what I set it. I currently have my G15 lcd display ( [​IMG] ) several things about Riva and one of them is my Fan speed %.

Power user setting
    RivaTuner \ NVIDIA \ Fan
    - AllowBinaryFanSpeedControl: 3

Low Level fan control settings for auto:
    Duty cycle min: 60
    Duty cycle max: 100
    T min: 45
    T range: 20
    T operatin: 110
    T low limit: 110
    T high limit: 110

[​IMG]

But these settings only stay for a few moments then the T min starts to creep up, for example if I hit cancel and go right back in.. the T min says 46, then hit cancel go back in.. it's 47.. but the rest of the settings stay the same. I tried using the excel sheet from http://www.vaguesoft.com/index.php?pageid=rt207#g15
    to make sure I wasn't putting in invalid settings.. eventually after some delay the T min reverts itself back to what the default nvidia? setting is thus the video card runs way too hot for my taste and eventually causes issues cause the duty cycle min doesnt keep up.

I've tried toggling the 'Restore fan settings after suspend mode' and 'apply fan settings at windows startup' but no changes. After writing this post I just checked my T min and now it shows it at 49.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad New Member

Right, i see your on a 8 series card so this might not help, but the 175.16 drivers from nvidia have helped the 9 series cards with getting the fan settings to stay. Not sure if this really applies to you but you could give those drivers a whirl and see if it helps.

3. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    I will give that a try... wonder if we could just change the hard coded bios temp settings? Like there was a new bios for the 9xxx having heating issues... i seriously think that the evga 8800 SSC has the same problem

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

2 magic phrases "ADT7473 datasheet" and "dynamic Tmin mode" and search will help you to address bug in your understanding.

5. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    So the issue is that T low limit: 110 should have been T low limit: 0. Now Tmin stays.

6. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    Well i thought we fixed it but we didnt...

I noticed my profile wasnt working again while gaming, went to select my 'auto' profile i made:
    [​IMG]

as soon as I apply it, it changes the profile settings to:
    [​IMG]

Something with riva and fan profiles is deff. broken.

7. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    Reinstalled Riva 2.09, now my profile works again... shaddy.

8. Unwinder

Dear newbies, if you don't understand RT completely - just DON'T use it and stop giving such comments, which are insulting for developer. Something is broken in your understanding as usual.

9. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    well mr tactful, if you define a profile with certain settings.. shouldnt it use those settings? even after showing said settings to use... ?

10. Unwinder

I'm sorry but I've zero wish to help mr noob talking in "fix your buggy broken soft" language. Cannot think - see you.

Last edited: May 19, 2008

11. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    I know this is a bit of offtopic to this threat but can i ask what software you use to draw infos on your g15 keyboard?

12. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    Sure thing, I'm using LCD Studio 2.1 with RivaTuner 2.09 + Core2Duo temp plugin. used font 6px2bus.ttf for the config I built, originally I used everest to do the temp monitoring but recently I've switched to RT.

LCDStudio - http://www.lcdstudio.com/site20/download.php
    font/lcd studio settings/lcdstudio config - http://www.mediafire.com/?zeypgmikcvv

then just use RT and enable background monitoring, and have it monitor:

Core temperature
    Ambient temperature
    Fan speed
    Fan duty cycle
    CPU0 temp
    CPU1 temp

- use RT plugins:
    ADT7473.dll
    C2DTemp.dll ( http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1545 )
    NVThermalDiode.dll

and then you should be good.

13. zoggy

zoggy New Member

GPU:
    Look man, I didn't mean to be an ass, I was only venting. It kinda sucks when your video card gets too hot and your machine locks up due to your fan not doing its job.

I love RT and I think it is a bad ass program, I just wish the fan profile was stable as it was back in 2.06 (last version I used prior). After re-installing RT my profile is working now, so hopefully everything is good from this point.

Is there some sort of log that I can look through to see if RT threw any errors when I was having issues? Maybe somehow a setting was changed that shouldnt have been?

14. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Thank you very much :) :-*

Do you know any full open source alternative to this software?

Last edited: May 19, 2008