Rip DirectX 10 to XP/2000... is it possible?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Greggy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Greggy

Greggy Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680 2GB
    Hey people!

We all know that Windows Vista will be required to get support for Micro$oft's new DirectX 10, however since Vista and it's DX10 are really only software programs made up of 0's and 1's then surely some very clever programmers or hackers could 'rip' the DirectX 10 out of Vista and make it run on Windows XP (or even Windows 2000 for that matter).

Even if DirectX 10 made internal calls to the OS kernel to verify it was indeed running on Vista I'm sure the hacking community could 'fool' DirectX 10 and make it work on XP/2000.

Now I'm not asking this in hope thats it's possible, because I plan on getting 64bit Vista once it is realsed, but it does make me wonder...

So, is it possible, or are we all doomed to make Bill an even richer man?

Regards,

Greggy

2. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    WinXP's WDM (driver model) won't be capable of running DX10.

3. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I don't think this will work...you maybe able to rip DX components out of Vista and place them in XP, but the whole structure of Vista is differant. Drivers for Vista work in a completely differant manner, and it's these that interact with DirectX, for devices to function properly.

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    If you care to wait... The WINE team is going to add DX10 code to Linux, and they say it would be relatively easy to adapt it to Windows XP too. But even though it'll take a (long) while before that'll happen, in the end it will.

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    WGF 2.0 is a entirely new API that theoretically could be ported with EXTREME difficulty to Windows XP, so why bother? It would likely be highly unstable at best, at worst it will not work and screw up your windows API royally.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah.... MS'll probably keep DX10 on Vista until they make enough money on Vista, and say "what the hell"..... so yeah, that'll take quite some time for greedy MS to decide.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Their not greedy, there is no point in transfering over a entirely new API to a old OS which is likely to cause a incredible number of stability problems on a currently very stable OS, then you will probably blast them for porting over the WGF 2.0 API "that is crap".

9. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    So they have the new update, DX9L, so DX10 can play DX9 games?
    Are they updating XP's DX9 at all?
    They should do, it's been so long.

Sort of on the same subject, do you think that there will be a large update package for XP, SP3? There is IE7, Media Player 11, windows imagining update, .net 3, and some other stuff for vista that are going to be put into XP, for business's and such. That's probably going to be a big update.

10. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:

Microsoft wouldn't be much of a company if they just kept updating one OS.
    Of course they've made millions out of XP but now it's time to move on. I'm looking forward to Vista and DX10. And I don't mind having to pay for a new OS, come on, we've all pretty much had our money's worth out of XP. Over the years it's allowed me to do and enjoy heaps of stuff, including playing some amazing games.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

From what I heard, Windows XP SP3 will come out a few months or shortly after Windows Vista is launched to consumers (conflicting reports when it is being released).

Also I believe Windows XP is getting DX9-L as is Windows Vista. This will make Microsofts "XNA" initiative to make cross compatible games between Windows XP, Windows Vista and Xbox360 a reality.

12. NeViLLe

NeViLLe Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9800GT 512MB
    I wish it gets hacked... and so does windows... I'm sure it will... microsoft bastards...

13. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's a very constructive post, well done. :rolleyes:

14. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    I concur :) Microsoft charges way too damn much for their stuff.

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    dx9 gets updated every month...

16. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:

If you think £150 is way too much for an OS that gives years of use, is constantly updated and has a myriad of utilities then fair enough, that's your opinion. If you compare it to three or four XBox 360 games then I think your view would differ, or maybe not, but can you honestly say WinXP is overpriced? If so, how much should it be?

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    @ Lord of Doom -

I am sure then you will be more than happy to go with the alternatives from Unix (Mac OSX) and Linux (Sosa, Red Hat, etc.) if you think that Windows is unfairly priced, no one is stopping you.

18. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    lord fo doom
    if you were MS how much would sell it for
    O by the way you will have to paid all the people that work
    on it out of your own pocket money

19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    MS wouldn't dare to leave XP behind like that. There will be DX10 eventually. Not everyone wants to upgrade to a new OS, let alone a new rig. MS is using this strategy for years now. They also denied the development of the Xbox (360) in the past and check your local gamestore now. :)

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    M8, i dont think u understand, the Vista display driver model is completely different to XP, its not possible to port it over to XP, not with all the features and abilities entact. That is why they are not doing it. I very much doubt we will ever see DX10 on Vista, and if we ever did, i doubt it will offer the full range of benifits it does on Vista.