Ridiculous? Witcher 2 dungeon - AF off = +19fp @ 1920x1080!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GARRET, Jun 12, 2011.

1. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    LOL man..I don't know..are those FPS counted using fraps?

Maybe fraps doesn't work correctly when using crossfire? Not losing a single fps when forcing 16xAF (assuming vsync is always OFF) doesn't make sense, does it ?

** Can you guys try to see if that applies to "The Witcher 2" too?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Brebaz

Brebaz Member

GPU:
    2x6870
    I tried Dirt 3 just a little bit ago. Not a single FPS gained/lost Actually i lost 1 fps from the minimum without Using 16xAF!

3. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Actually, you can see it. If you look at the 3rd and 4th buildings, there is a big difference but with those SS so small, it is harder to see.

I think if you have a smaller monitor, you can get away with less AF since you may not notice it due to size. People with 24" + monitors and sit at arms length will probably notice the difference in filtering quality.

Again, I think it has been already summarized. CCC forced AF is usually of a higher quality than in game AF settings but at a cost of less overall performance.

4. alphaproxima

alphaproxima Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850 @1040/1200
    Major fail... people need to use benchmarking programs like 3dmark or in-game bench runs to specify the difference in fps... not a random printscreen in the game. The best option for AF as far as the fps - image quality ratio is concerned is 8x. 16x offers a small increase in image quality, still if one has a powerful rig, he should use it.
    Still, 19 fps difference (as the OP said) is either a bug or wrong measurement... No AF option can normally decrease the fps by about 30%...

5. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    It's not a common perf. hit for AF these day's. Maybe it's caused by the POM textured surfaces needing more power to get filtered (I'm not sure they get fully filtered, though as I use ubersampling which filters them also).

I still think there is much to improve yet with ubersampling as the perf. detlat is pretty small in different area's wich are very different in what's on the screen.