Ridiculous? Witcher 2 dungeon - AF off = +19fp @ 1920x1080!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GARRET, Jun 12, 2011.

1. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    I was...SHOCKED!...

My specs:

Amd Phenom II x4 955 @ stock

5850 1gb @ stock using Cats 11.5b + Cap5 ( Cap5 didn't do anything, tested it )

12gb ddr3 ram

Vertex 2 ssd 120gb

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

on a 40" Sony W5500

Witcher 2 settings : 1920x1080, All maxed, bloom on, but: ubersampling off, depth of field, blur etc off, texture size large, shadows + lights = medium

...I started Witcher 2 again yesterday and I'm at beginning of the game where you have to find a tunnel entrance to the temple..so I have a save where I'm on ledge and look at the entrance of the dungeons...curious about the fps, I loaded FRAPS as I wasn't happy..

FRAPS showed 43 fps.

I tried changing shadows to low, didn't gain a single frame..tried lod from far to normal...nada!

Then I though I'd turn the AF OFF at the Cats after reading about a performance fix on a site I found on google..

So...AF setting = use application settings

and..

I gained 19 fps !! Went up to 62 !!

I never thought AF would cause such a big hit, I think I remember other games in the past just giving me a couple of frames..but 19 ?!?!

What do you guys think??

P.S. Lowering the resolution to 1600x900 gave me LESS FRAMES than turning the AF OFF, I only gained 15!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    Turn OFF ubersampling :) .Patch up game to version 1.2 .

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  4. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Guys, THE game was already patched to 1.2 and ubersampling was off !! Please read before posting :)

5. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    Reading is too hard for them. Who cares what you typed, only what they assumed is important. It's typical of forum behavior.

6. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    So true. What's even worse is that I often see people not reading even 1 line posts :nerd:

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Am I to understand that you forced AF on through the CCC before?

It's generally never a good idea to force any setting through the CCC, the performance hit is almost always much larger than using in-game settings and there's no guarantee it'll even work as intended.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    He probably already knew that, but, like he said, the difference was only a couple of fps, which he didn't really mind.
    The fact that turning it off gave him two digits improvement might be the one that made him ZOMGLOLWTF-...I mean, a bit excited, and not that he just found out turning it off can improve fps.

9. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Exactly....:)

Plus, As far as I know Witcher 2 doesn't have an in-game option for AF, only for AA.

As I said it was in a Dungeon, I'm curious to see what will happen when I go back up ( I can't at the moment )

I'll post tomorrow to let you guys know.. :)

10. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    well even if there isnt an in game AF option, if what he said is true, this is a major find , AF disable shouldnt give you 20 FPS boost, more like 3 fps

11. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    Yeah it's weird, I thought I read the dev saying AF is only on with ubersampling. So if you want it without ubersampling have to force it on.

12. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    That's why I was shocked..! :)

Yep, it's true on my PC and spot I described at least :)

If sb with similar config could check it, we'd find out..

My guess is that it's some kind of Catalyst bug or..game bug?

I'll upload the pics too, wait.. :)

13. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I doubt it's a bug.

A 3 FPS difference between no AF and 16x AF is on the low end of the scale using in-game options, forcing it through the CCC when there's no in-game option available could result in a drastic reduction in performance and no assured IQ gain.

This from experience with playing around with the settings in various games myself.

As a general rule, never force anything through the CCC unless you've got massive amounts of performance to spare. Ie. 100+ minimum FPS on a 60 FPS display.

14. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    OK, pics :)

I can see the difference in those static images, but while I'm playing..I don't know..maybe I'll be able to see it when Geralt walks.

These 2 pics are @ the same spot, it's where Geralt is when I load the game.

Wtih 16 x AF

[​IMG]

Without AF

[​IMG]

15. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Its ATI.... what do you expect? Your drivers to work properly? haha

16. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    I just tried the same thing on Two Worlds II, screens were taken outside the entrance of a village.

Results are along the lines of what Exodite said and even show what adrock311 and me thought, about AF ON / OFF having a couple of frames difference:

16xAF ( through game menus ) = 55 fps

NO AF ( through game menus ) = 58 fps

Forced 16x AF in Cats = 50 fps

Here though, we see an 8 fps difference, not 18-19 :)

Two Worlds Two has an in-game ANISOTROPY setting though and it's a very well optimized game even though it doesn't look as good as the Witcher.. :)

Now, I'll try With UBERSAMPLING to see what the HIT is.

LOL...fps go down to 19 !!

17. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Honestly, 5850 is slightly faster than 4890. I have to run witcher2 at medium settings at 1920x1080.
    Even then do I have to disable certain settings to get around 50 fps.
    So why do you want to run maxed with this card? It's not gonna cut it.
    Blame it on the programming.

18. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Because I can :p

No kidding now, I'm satisfied if I get around 40 fps outside..the pic shows 62..not bad for a dungeon..if I get 40 outside I'm fine.. Without disabling AF I didn't have a problem with the outside fights, I could tell it wasn't butter smooth, but only in some cases the fps drop was noticeable:)

We'll see though when I go out of that dungeon, but I agree with you, the game isn't well written :)

19. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    i can barely tell the difference in picture quality between your 2 screenshots, i tried very hard to see, its totally not worth it IMO, switch AF off

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    You don't turn off AF ... you set it to use the AF of the game .. Witcher2 developper have indicate the best result will be by use the AF of the game.