Riddick and Antialiasing: 71.21

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by virgilr, Feb 1, 2005.

1. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Question to one and all-

When running Chronicles of Riddick, I can't seem to get antialaising to work- even when I've added both apps to the quality and settings profile. Basically, it doesn't seem to make a difference, and the game will hang/crash at random points. Whenever I disable AA, things are fine- just want to be able to control some of the shimmering I see in this game, because it's fantastic!! Anybody have this problem or any solution??

2. Darren_Hodgson

Darren_Hodgson Master Guru

GPU:
    256MB PNY Verto GeForce 6800GT graphics
    First make sure that you change the Shader version to 2.0 from its default of 2.0++ for GeForce 6 cards otherwise the game will slowdown drastically or crash as you've noticed.

Secondly add the SbzEngine.exe file from the game's System/Win32_x86_SSE folder (as you have an Athlon XP like me) to your Profile. Don't just add the Riddick.exe file otherwise it won't work.

I've been using 4xFSAA anti-aliasing since I bought the game last year and it works perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  3. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Thanks for the info- yes, I've definately followed this route, but the settings don't seem to "stick"- after adding the two .exe files, and changing the AA settings from application controlled to a setting I want to use, then clicking on "apply", I get a warning about how mutliple apps are using the profile. Whenever I click on "yes" to continue modifying the profile, the settings for AA go back to application controlled. If I just click on OK, the settings don't seem to stick.. really frustrating! Oh well- I'll just play it as it is, it's such an excellent game! Whey didn't they add any AA adujstments to the games' control panel, I don't know..

Thanks anyway!

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    dont add both to the profile just add SbzEngine.exe to the profile from what Darren is saying and it works, not both exe's. and to get profiles to work correctly click Apply then scroll up to Global Driver Setting then click Apply --> Ok.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005

5. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    The best way to make your profiles stick...... once you've named and selected your game profile, you need to then select the "modify profile" tab and then choose "save as", then click "OK".

6. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Well, tried all that- still doesn't seem to be working! And, the game will crash at random points- I guess I'll try a re-install of the game, since I can't seem to get this to work.. thanks for the suggestions, one and all!

7. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Just a side note- actually, the AA was being enabled, but I was hoping it would help alleviate some of the "shimmering" that goes on in this game, but alas, it didn't seem to help- the only way I could tell it was actually enabled was by seeing the huge performance hit when trying to run the game at higher resolutions!! The only thing I've found that's a help is to use RivaTuner to adjust the LOD bias up by .6 to 1- I know some detail is lost using this method, but it seems to help alleviate the shimmering some what!! Intense normal mapping on hard edges is I think the cause of this "problem"- I imagine that on a fielded 720 x 480 TV image this isn't as pronounced (where the game was developed for originally- XBox) but on a PC with higher resolutions it's mega annoying!