RGB question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netherwind, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've got seven PC components/peripherals that have some form of RGB.

Acer Predator monitor
    Razer Nommo speakers
    Corsair Strafe keyboard
    Corsair Ironclaw mouse
    Gigabyte Aorus motherboard
    MSI Gaming X GPU
    G.Skill RAM

What bothers me a lot is that most of the components/peripherals seem to depend on software to display the desired colour except the monitor (OSD setting) and mouse & keyboard (on-board memory chip). Speakers, mobo, RAM, GPU all need some kind of software which is super annoying since I feel that it's 100% bloat anyway.

Why isn't there some kind of memory chip in all hardware to remember RGB settings like the KB&M? What do you think and do you use software to control your RGB thingies?

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Some of the peripherals do everything on the hardware, via physical buttons. My Ducky Shine 6 does come with software, but you can change all the settings via keybinds directly on the keyboard. Also, some mice come with no software and you can change RGB via buttons on the mouse.

Otherwise, I'd recommend to stick to 1 peripheral manufacturer that has decent software to control all of the RGB for all the peripherals.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Cheaper to do those with control software. Less components and no need make extra holes for switches to component case. If it had memory to store those settings, that would likely mean that the manufacturer would need to use more expensive microcontroller.

I hate RGB.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I have my keyboard and mouse (K70 from Corsair and G502 from Logitech) set to just have on constant color, red in this case because my build's themed that way, and my monitor and headset have red applications.
    I set the software to only use the default (full red) profile but at times programs like Civilization change the color of my mouse. I guess I need to check the software again and deactivate that.
    But I honestly have no idea what to do with in case lighting, sorry. For peripherals I use the manufacturer's software. Although the more you have from one manufacturer, the less seperate software's you should need, theoretically, ofc.

5. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    You should look at Corsair’s iCUE software.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I don't hate RGB but I don't find it all the craze either. Example, having backlight on your keyboard is great and having RGB means you can set it to your preferred colour. My Ducky Shine 6 looks great backlit. Also, some tasteful RGB on a mouse is fine by me, the Logitech GPW is very discreet in this respect and RGB looks fine and definitely not over the top.

Now having your case look like a Xmas tree, that is something else. Not a fan of that.

7. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    iCUE, and Jacknet RGBSync, that still won't get you there. You will probably have to change the mobo. Gigabyte's RGB Fusion is by far the worst crap out there, I had to ditch my GB board and get an Asus. Corsair iCUE supports Asus now. All my peripherals are a mix of corsair, asus etc and some things like my Lian Li Strimer Plus cables I have an adapter to hook up to my corsair controller instead of my mobo.

It can be expensive, and requires hunting for specific parts, but once you get there and control it all through iCUE its pretty slick. Is iCUE perfect? No, but my god everyone else is so far behind making anything even close.